Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

Guitar wrote: I believe this is not SW8.
Since the documents say SW8 and there are signs all around that area of the park saying SW8, I'm pretty sure it will be SW8 :D

Also, it is confirmed to be opening in 2018.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

MakoMania wrote:Also, it is confirmed to be opening in 2018.
If that is the case that is quite awful. Wouldn't that mean its been a 5 year gap between a major investment.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:
MakoMania wrote:Also, it is confirmed to be opening in 2018.
If that is the case that is quite awful. Wouldn't that mean its been a 5 year gap between a major investment.
It would. Well, for rides at least, not if you count Enchanted Village.
Owen

Just because this particular attraction won't be opening in 2017 doesn't mean they haven't got other things up their sleeves to pass the years - I'm sure they've gotten something planned! :)
Dom

Well hopefully they have something planned for next year. But SW8 is still going to be exciting and I really can not wait for it. I noticed on the plans that its going to have three pieces of themeing. I really hope they don't just plonk something there. I hope they really think about what is going to go in those spaces and take the time and effort to make them look incredible.
Dannyski

Well if DBGT at Thorpe is £35-40m, I hope that's setting the bar for what Merlin class as a high investment year...and if so, this woodie must either has solid gold tracks or there's more going on.
MakoMania

I agree Owen. I'm hoping for a flat in Dark Forest and some sort of small new CBeebies attraction for 2017, with SW8 in 2018. Aren't they supposed to start hotel construction later this month as well?
Dom

MakoMania wrote:I agree Owen. I'm hoping for a flat in Dark Forest and some sort of small new CBeebies attraction for 2017, with SW8 in 2018. Aren't they supposed to start hotel construction later this month as well?
Mako, There are other topics available that will have the relevant information in. Please try and stick to discussion about SW8 in this one. Ta :)
MakoMania

Dom wrote:
MakoMania wrote:I agree Owen. I'm hoping for a flat in Dark Forest and some sort of small new CBeebies attraction for 2017, with SW8 in 2018. Aren't they supposed to start hotel construction later this month as well?
Mako, There are other topics available that will have the relevant information in. Please try and stick to discussion about SW8 in this one. Ta :)
Whoops, just slipped out :O
Guitar

MakoMania wrote:
Guitar wrote: I believe this is not SW8.
Since the documents say SW8 and there are signs all around that area of the park saying SW8, I'm pretty sure it will be SW8 :D

Also, it is confirmed to be opening in 2018.
Which begs the question, what makes this an SW coaster. SW seems to be the designation for the flagship coasters, Spinball wasn't designated an SW and by looking at the plans they seem to have similar specs in terms of height and (deriving from that) speed. There doesn't seem to be a worlds first element, though there is a pre show, but it is unclear whether the pre show is in the queue line or an on ride element.

Could it be a launched coaster? It wouldn't be a world first but would be a UK first (if not Europe, I haven't checked). But having said that I thought power supply issues prevented LIM's and they already have Rita. Come to think of it Rita wasn't designated SW either.

I'm not saying it is or will be a bad coaster, just that it looks fairly unimpressive from the plans. The world record for height of a woody is 198 feet, this is 57 feet. I know Alton Towers have to deal with all sorts of planning constraints, I'm not expecting the biggest, fastest, etc, but all the previous SW's have had a standout impressive element, and this doesn't seem to have one.

Of course they could be hiding something, any ideas what they could be hiding?
Sawboss

People are always complaining about Merlin coasters having gimmicks, they'd better not start complaining there isn't one or I shall commence tearing my hair out :lol
Javs

Guitar wrote: Of course they could be hiding something, any ideas what they could be hiding?
Does the height difference take into account the first drop could go sub-terrain? Sorry I'm not sure how everyone is working out the height of the first drop based on the plans we have.
xylyx

Sawboss wrote:People are always complaining about Merlin coasters having gimmicks, they'd better not start complaining there isn't one or I shall commence tearing my hair out :lol
Yeah, the beginning of this topic has folks hoping they just deliver a decent ride without relying on gimmicks, now we're saying it can't be a SW without one :P The plans are far too preliminary atm so it's not easy to see just what they have in store. When they returned AIR into galactica you couldn't tell what was intended from the plans. There may be more than meets the eye.
lkav1983

Hi guys new on here but I've followed for many of the sw topics. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I swear I read about the Mexican Cantina being removed also to make way for a new attraction. Could this be a new flat ride or relocation of one (blade).
Max

Blade is likely too old to be relocated, Mexican Cantina is also on the Flume site, the new ride will be SW8.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Guitar

Javs wrote:Does the height difference take into account the first drop could go sub-terrain? Sorry I'm not sure how everyone is working out the height of the first drop based on the plans we have.
If you look at the pdf that was posted rather than the screenshot you can zoom right in and see the height marks on the track. They are marked either LPx or HPx (x is point number, LP is a low point, HP is a high point). It would appear there is a mistake in the plans as I can see 2 * HP2 and no HP1. I am assuming that HP2 at the top of the lift hill should be labelled HP1.
The total height drop of the ride goes from what should be HP1 @ 201 meters, to end of the brake run @ 184.5 meters.

The first drop goes from HP1 @ 201 meters to LP1 @ 193.5 meters.
The second drop goes from HP2 @ 196 meters to LP2 @ 181 meters.
The third drop goes from HP3 @ 191.5 meters to LP3 @ 185 meters.
The fourth drop goes from HP4 @ 188 meters to LP4 @ 180.5 meters.
There seems to be a light rise from HP5 @ 189.5 meters to HP6 @ 190 meters.
The fifth drop goes from HP6 @ 190 meters to LP5 @ 180.5 meters.
The sixth drop goes from HP7 @ 186 meters to begin brake run @ 185 meters.

The lowest point on the ride is LP4 @ 180.5 meters. Giving a height variance of 20.5 meters (67.2 feet) from highest point to lowest point. Actually the lowest point is the pre show track @ 179 meters before the lift hill but I don't count this as part of the ride portion.
lkav1983

NemesisNosh wrote:Blade is likely too old to be relocated, Mexican Cantina is also on the Flume site, the new ride will be SW8.
I realise that I'm just wondering if what I read somewhere is correct and there will be an additional ride where Mexican cantina is?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

lkav1983 wrote:
NemesisNosh wrote:Blade is likely too old to be relocated, Mexican Cantina is also on the Flume site, the new ride will be SW8.
I realise that I'm just wondering if what I read somewhere is correct and there will be an additional ride where Mexican cantina is?
The few plans we've seen so far only show the demolition of Mexican Cantina and give no indication that a new ride will take its place.
Javs

Guitar wrote:The first drop goes from HP1 @ 201 meters to LP1 @ 193.5 meters.
So the first drop is only 7.5 meters? Sorry I'm still not following!? That can't be right?
JonDoesTT

I'm excited for SW8, obviously, but if the largest drop on the ride is 15m (around 50ft), I'm slightly disappointed. Although, if it was a terrain coaster, would the height points be different?

Credit to NemesisRider