Greatest Scare Attraction of all Time?!

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.

What was the best scare attraction ever?

The Boiler House
11%
Carnival of Screams
13%
Zombies! Scare Zone
No votes
Scary Tales
7%
Room 13
No votes
Terror of the Towers
18%
Bloodfest Banquet
2%
The Field of a 1000 Screams
22%
The Sanctuary
27%
Duel: Live
No votes

Total votes: 45
S.J_O'Grady

With Scarefest 2015 fast approaching, I thought I'd make a poll to find out what was the best scare attraction Towers have ever done! Since I never got the chance to experience many of these, this should be interesting for me. :D
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
fitchy

Definitely field hands down ....
SuperWill

The Sanctury only because I started doing the mazes last year!

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
Stan.H

Boiler House, only because it was my first scare maze. Except the halloween house at National Adventure Farm!!
PeteB

Field, no doubt. Just for it's immersive environment and story telling.

I almost voted for Bloodfest Banquet but it would have to be the original back in 2003. Not the one that returned in 2007 which was quite poor by comparison.
Ripsaw Raver

i voted for Sanc but the way it was back in early 2013 in march, it was much more dark and sadistic than the scarefest counterpart.. But all in all my vote if possible would go to Extreme Sanctuary, maybe we could add the extreme and alone options to the list.
Im doing MollyCrowe Extreme and ToTT Extreme and also Go Alone
so my vote may change after monday
TH14TEEN

Sub species, by a country mile.
Morgan

I voted for Terror of the Towers. I had a great run yesterday, it feels like there are more actors than there actually are. It's atmospheric and the finale is bonkers!
N_B

Bloodfest banquet as it was my first scare attraction back in 2003.
silenthillXD

I have only been visiting Scarefest since 2012, so unfortunately haven't experienced the 2010 Boiler House or the 2009 Field of 1000 Screams, but the ones I have seen have been rather strong.

Obviously none of the Scarezones have lived up to the full standard of the mazes, but Scary Tales and Dark Apocalypse were both genuinely fantastic.

Of the mazes I think it's fair to say Carnival of Screams is the weakest. It was fab in 2013, but never lived up to either ToT or The Sanctuary. Sanctuary was great to begin with, but I grew tired of it very quickly as it wasn't all that intense. It's atmosphere was incredible, and I will miss it, but I feel it's finale wasn't strong enough. Terror has always been fantastic, even up to this year! It's easily the best out of the options given above that I have done.

That being said, Molly Crowe and Sub Species definitely match it (Molly Crowe) or even surpass it (Sub Species) in quality. Sub Species is easily the best Alton scare attraction I have been through. Its plot is interesting, it's hectic and fast paced, offers good variety and is above all else, intense. Sub Species isn't quite like anything else out there. I very much enjoyed it. Easily the best Merlin scare attraction we've seen.
tcw1993

For me it was either sub species last year (2015) it had me sprinting, and I mean SPRINTING, out the exit after getting chased on my own with a chainsaw. Or the sanctuary, I did it at the scarefests and the pre-smiler phase. I didn't really notice that much difference, but the atmosphere in the que line was incredible, that building and architecture suited it perfectly.
I never got the chance to do Field which I'm gutted about because it looked incredible, where was the Field located on the park?
CoS was pretty insane though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
S.J_O'Grady

tcw1993 wrote:For me it was either sub species last year (2015) it had me sprinting, and I mean SPRINTING, out the exit after getting chased on my own with a chainsaw. Or the sanctuary, I did it at the scarefests and the pre-smiler phase. I didn't really notice that much difference, but the atmosphere in the que line was incredible, that building and architecture suited it perfectly.
I never got the chance to do Field which I'm gutted about because it looked incredible, where was the Field located on the park?
CoS was pretty insane though.

I never got to do The Field either but it was by AT Hotel, where the Enchanted Village would be now.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
archie.mm

When I went in 2013 I did The Sanctuary, ToTT and Carnival of Screams.
Sanctuary was amazing, the atmosphere and I loved the white walls bit. Carnival of screams was amazing for me. I thought it was genuinely one of the best mazes Id ever been in. :yikes:
And then we come to ToTT... it was awful. It was boring and anticlimactic. It wasn't even scary. It seemed tacky and unmemorable. :roll:
S.J_O'Grady

2013 was my first Scrarefest visit, and I only did the free attractions then so CoS was the most memorable for me too!
cianjs

I didn't get very far with my list of scare attractions I intended to go to last year; only managed to go to Thorpe Park and this low budget event called Frightmare in Hemel Hempstead. I have to admit, if you were to compare Thorpe's mazes to Frightmare's, Thorpe would look excruciatingly terrible. I believe that my favourite Frightmare maze (Afterlife) would annihilate all of Thorpe's 2015 mazes in one. It was terrifying! And I'm certain that they had less than half the budget of Thorpe Park Fright Nights!

Justin

Welcome to the forum cianjs!

I voted a long time a go on this topic, but I went for The Sanctuary due to the theme, atmosphere and characters. I really missed it last year, but Sub Species was very, very good, so it made up for it slightly.

I didn't really like ToTT last year, even though it was a new route, as it still felt very much the same as it did before.
S.J_O'Grady

TotT definitely needs a new storyline. I quite like the vampires and the urban explorers but hasn't What Lies Within been going for about 8 years now?
cianjs

Justin wrote:Welcome to the forum cianjs!
Thanks for the warm welcome Justin :-)
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

I've only been to the 2010 event, and I'd have to go with The Boiler House. It was so insanely atmospheric and I was at the back of the group so I was in constant terror as I'd always look back to find one of the actors following me brandishing a knife or some other weapon! The victims running around screaming looking genuinely helpless, the crawling, the squeezing (my rucksack got stuck so I was temporarily separated from my group), the noise... it was fantastic. I wish I didn't live in the south, I'd be at Scarefest every year, I've missed so many incredible sounding attractions.
ToTT: What Lies Within was a close contender because it was so tense, immersive and long. It seems to get such mediocre reviews these days but I'm assuming that's because it's so stale and a mere re-route hasn't saved it. I'd love for them to make the next chapter of ToTT. Bloodfest Banquet always sounded so fantastic from what I'd read, same with Field of 1000 Screams, I was so upset that I went to the year after it finished.
JonDoesTT

I originally thought ToTT was the best, but I agree with The Sky Sailor, it does need a new storyline. The acting and actual areas in ToTT are amazing, but the story isn't very clear, and I can see it confusing a lot of people who are doing the maze for the first time, which I can imagine is a large number of people.
If Sub Species was on this poll, I think it would be one of the scare attractions with the most votes, as it was genuinely incredible. The story, the theme, the acting, the costumes, etc. You knew what you were doing in there, and it genuinely did feel like a race with loads of aliens in a sewer, which is what it was supposed to be. With ToTT, everything looks good, but it doesn't quite fit with the story as well as some of the other scare attractions. Maybe this year they give it a new story :D

Credit to NemesisRider