Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
dannypugh88

GThing64 wrote:Were they offering any sort of refund or return when they delayed the Smiler to the 31st May?
yes they were they offered free returns and refunds in some cases
gddevey1012

Currently the DBGT webpage still is stating Arriving 6th May, not a definite i know but cant see them still trying to sell tickets on this premise if it will be delayed. the website would be the first to change i would have thought.
swooddow

Like Martin C suggested on the Thorpe park maina forum , which I think is a great shout. What if the arriving sign , was taken down for the ride time info board for testing. I'm sure if the ride was delayed they would have had to say somthing by now , with ticket sales and hotel bookings surly ?! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Horras64

lewis97 wrote:I expect when it does open, the 'Arriving 6th May' sign was due to be replaced by a sign which identifies each type of queue.

Unfortunately, it seems a little early for them to be swapping them out though and so I fear we will be seeing a delay.
This is exactly what I think, the queue signs always seem to go beneath or to the side, and there is little room to the side.

Also I was speaking to a staff member on Sunday who worked in the DBGT Shop. And she said that the ride is testing, and that they get a staff preview day for it, that will probably be soon if not delayed. But they're obviously not 100% reliable.
salamanderman

Just be hopeful and enjoy the wait
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast
Horras64

salamanderman wrote:Just be hopeful and enjoy the wait
I very hopeful. But I can't wait!
Owen

At the end of the day if it opens late it opens late. For some there may be issues with it opening a week or two late (wouldn't expect more) but if it does there's nothing that can be done. On the other hand, as nothing has been officially confirmed by the resort we can still hope it will open on time. So unfortunately it's just a waiting game now, so I'm keeping everything crossed, but still preparing for a delay all the same. :)
Owen

It has been confirmed.
THORPE PARK Resort wrote:After careful consideration we’re moving the opening date for Derren Brown’s Ghost Train. This attraction is a completely new invention and we are making final tweaks to the remaining elements to get things absolutely perfect. We want you guys to have the full mind-blowing experience from the very first time you ride!

We will post the new opening date here as soon as we can, so check in with our social channels for updates. Please know that this decision was not taken lightly as we know some of you have booked tickets to ride in anticipation of the 6 May opening date, and the last thing we want to do is disappoint you. If your ticket falls on a date before ride opening then please e-mail customer.services@thorpe-park.co.uk and our team will help you out.
Dan

Can't say I'm surprised.

At least Thorpe have given over a weeks notice so now people will be able to get refunds for tickets if they were visiting next weekend specifically to ride it.

I would much rather them delay the opening and have everything working right from day one rather than them open it next week and half the effects not working.

Quite disappointed as I was really looking forward to trying it next week but hey ho.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thorpe's website has been updated to say 'Arriving May', so hopefully the delay will only be a few weeks at most.
Owen

If the hotel offer is anything to go by the 14th of May seems likely. If not the 20th or 21st is very likely in my opinion.
COASTERGUY246

well thats a waste of a hotel booking :/. at least they are putting the effort in to make sure everything will work perfectly (hopefully) when it does eventually open
NeoXIII

Really disappointed about the delay, I got a group of friend fired up for DBGT. Will be there on the 6th anyway now, since we've booked a hotel closeby and were meant to go down to London anyway. Oh well!
craig.day.92

Really gutted about this as I am there on the 6th with a hotel, I guess these things cant be helped.
Horras64

Unfortunately I'm disappointed. I wish Merlin would be certain about their opening days.. Really disappointed now.
salamanderman

Its starting to become like a actual train time now
Arriving six of.. Sorry, the service line to Thorpe park junction has been delayed. please excuse us for momentarily delays while our engineers fix this problem
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast
Ryan.B

Well, this is why I don't ever plan to go to Merlin ride openings :lol While it is a shame, I expect it to be open in time for May half term, cant see a longer delay than that much, mind you, would people rather ride with half the experience, or wait a while for the full world class experience?
JaykeAT

My issue, as it often is with delayed ride openings, is that they keep on mentioning that this ride has been in the works for 3 years. So after 3 years, how can it be acceptable for them to be opening late?
It's not personally affecting me, but I do feel for people who would've taken time off work and booked out-of-park hotels and won't be able to get their money back now.
nickhutson

Because no-one can foresee issues with construction, health and safety, external testing, technology, signing off, actor training, re-writes, AV installation, show edits to ensure better throughput..

This happens so much in the theatre and theme park world. It's painful to say - but we just have to bare with it and get over it. Sorry!
Horras64

JaykeAT wrote:My issue, as it often is with delayed ride openings, is that they keep on mentioning that this ride has been in the works for 3 years. So after 3 years, how can it be acceptable for them to be opening late?
It's not personally affecting me, but I do feel for people who would've taken time off work and booked out-of-park hotels and won't be able to get their money back now.
I do agree, It's been in the making for so long and the fact they wait a week for it to be announced that it won't be opening, on the 6th, and the fact they said it would be opening on the 6th 3/4 months before is ridiculous. I know the Smiler was worse, but that was a Roller-Coaster, you know what it is. With a dark ride, the effects can go out of date, and It's a surprise, but the longer you wait the more spoilers that'll be released etc. I'm disappointed as well as may other people are. I just hope Merlin can fix this and this just be a 'false alarm' of some sort.