Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sawboss

It opened yesterday, Worlds First time travelling rollercoaster.
theparklifekid

Sawboss wrote:It opened yesterday, Worlds First time travelling rollercoaster.
Wow, I just rode it on its 20th anniversary, it runs just like its opening day... :lol
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Themeparksandy1981

Has anyone thought that the flume could be replaced with another flume system. Just look how popular they are worldwide and still getting built.
Owen

I had though of a a Chiapas style flume, but realistically I don't see them removing something they could probably just do a mass refurbishment on as oposed to a whole new attraction.
Ryan.B

Ryan.B wrote:Maybe they won't remove the flume, do some near misses and theme it around haunted ducks. :lol
Just to let you all know, I was joking here :P
theparklifekid

Owen wrote:I had though of a a Chiapas style flume, but realistically I don't see them removing something they could probably just do a mass refurbishment on as oposed to a whole new attraction.
I personally wouldn't mind if that happened. Do i think it would happen though... No.
Adam.W

This is actually a fairly large area, it's a larger footprint than the smiler and has a similar footprint size to nemesis.
Once they drain the lake, they effectively have a massive pit to build into.

(A free pit to build a ride into... good old cost cutting)
Tom170499

Adam.W wrote:Image

This is actually a fairly large area, it's a larger footprint than the smiler and has a similar footprint size to nemesis.
Love how Google Maps has already been updated with SW8 :clap:
theparklifekid

Am i right thinking that at the Spring Spectacular event, there was some info on SW8?

Also Happy 100th post to me!
Liam.W

theparklifekid wrote:Am i right thinking that at the Spring Spectacular event, there was some info on SW8?
I believe they did talk about SW8, along with Galactica and TLC.

To the peeps who went: what was said about SW8?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Owen

I believe that any discussion about SW8 from the event is currently being asked to remain quiet - I'm sure you will find out soon enough.
Ryan.B

I now fully regret not going :lol whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be good, and possibly wood.
MakoMania

I get the impression that I'm alright to post this now, if I'm not I guess this will be removed soon!

For those wanting to know in the talk yesterday it was said that the original SW8 was supposed to be in Forbidden Valley (as we pretty much knew) and would've had its station where Blade is and the track would have gone up into the extended Nemesis queue line area and behind Sub-Terra. However, the speaker said that the project was abandoned due to the excessive cost of rock removal in Forbidden Valley, that would basically have blown the budget. As suggested by signage, the new site for SW8 is the Flume area, and the speaker said that the ride will open in 2018. He said he was very excited about it ( well he would :lol ) and that it would be a new concept for Alton Towers.

Hope everything there was ok, if it needs removing/editing I'll take the hint and not post about the talk again :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Liam.W

By the words "new concept" I really hope it doesn't mean worlds first and it actually means something that is found elsewhere, but just something that Alton hasn't had before.

If it is just something that Alton hasn't had before, then I have a slight feeling it might be a coaster with a dark ride section; similar to the dragon at legoland but hopefully more thrilling!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Owen

The wording suggests that the concept is only new for Alton Towers, this supports what I'm thinking (not that I'm going to say!). I doubt it would be something as minor as that, more so something new entirely.

It also confirms the 2018 opening, although that was quite obvious in my opinion.
Ryan.B

Did they state whether planning is needed and when removal of the flume and construction will begin? No problem if you aren't allowed to post that much on here/if they didn't say anything like that. I thought SW8 original plans would have gone round Nemesis extended queue, does sound like it would've been very expensive!
MakoMania

Ryan.B wrote:Did they state whether planning is needed and when removal of the flume and construction will begin?
Don't know about construction of the actual ride but he said that The Flume's removal will begin before the end of this season. Nothing said about planning permission.

He also made an interesting point, this is the first SW ride that is entirely surrounded by the park, i.e.-not on a park boundary. He said this may mean closures (assuming temporary) of certain areas to allow for construction vehicles to access the site etc...
Last edited by MakoMania on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Horras64

A 2018 opening probably means that they need a lot of time to construct the ride, more than usual. Wood???

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk
Owen

Well that was quite simple to guess, the flume site isn't going to magically move to the edge of the park :lol
Ryan.B

Haunted Hollow and sky ride? Would seem likely, also I would expect the front of mutiny bay near the flume to be shut off. I still think it'll be wood though :P