Ride Closures/Removals in 2016

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
stealthsmiler

My problem is that for me to earn money you need to spend money. It's what a country needs to do to get out of a recession and it's what Alton Towers needs to do now. What they should have done is go for an almost relaunch where they improved their existing rides and added some new ones. A couple of high quality dark rides and some good flats to be added in areas such as X sector and The Dark Forest and then the Air retheme + restaurant along with the smiler reopening would have made for a good reopening of sorts to make people come back as the resort would be bigger and better. The poor attendance this year would have been a good time to do it as there was less people on the resort and areas could have been closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam.W

stealthsmiler wrote:My problem is that for me to earn money you need to spend money. It's what a country needs to do to get out of a recession and it's what Alton Towers needs to do now. What they should have done is go for an almost relaunch where they improved their existing rides and added some new ones. A couple of high quality dark rides and some good flats to be added in areas such as X sector and The Dark Forest and then the Air retheme + restaurant along with the smiler reopening would have made for a good reopening of sorts to make people come back as the resort would be bigger and better. The poor attendance this year would have been a good time to do it as there was less people on the resort and areas could have been closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you there, the park seriously needs to review the park in general and 'freshen it up', by enhancing the theming, for example for th13teen; a generic ride with the exception of the station and crypt. Rerouting the queue would be nice as you don't need that 100m queue from the far end of the 'forest' to the station, and that way you could have more theming around different parts of the queue, or maybe a partially indoor queue with some more effects. It's just small things like that which make the difference, and don't cost a massive 18 million investment in the case of the smiler. Makes me think how much better Tussards managed the park and kept it in good condition, with immersive rides which aren't just big advertising ploys.
Ripsaw Raver

if this is how it goes, i will most definitely will not be renewing my AT-AP, This is absolutely shocking, SubTerra could have a scary exit with no actors if implemented right. just ensue more panic,bangs,sound effects maybe a little water spray to catch people out. Especially with the success of SubSpecies I cant believe there not going to try and maximize on the Phalanx theme success. I will be sad to see no Ripsaw as well its my fave flat the park has ever had. Just a shame it never saw a tidy up to 1997 Standards. As for Hex...NO NO ,this is not excusable at all, High capacity great themed attraction..maybe just needs to be slightly more themed outside as to entice people in more rather than wondering what its all about. I shall return maybe sometime in may-early june and for scarefest but that is all. This is a joke it really is
TheBeast

It says a lot when a lot of TTfrs have said that they are unsure whether it will be worth going next season. Its shocking that they have decided to close so many, over such short time. Maybe over a couple of years but not in one season. I can't go back this year but looking at it that isn't tragic... could it be linked to the large number of job reductions?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Themeparksandy1981

I just think Merlin has got to big to manage now with the number of attractions it owns worldwide.
Under Tussards they only had Alton Towers,London Eye,Madame Tussards,Thorpe park and Chessington In the uk to worry about now Merlin got all theses plus Legoland,Dungeons,Sea life and many more uk attractions.
NemesisRider

However "reliable" Towerstreet's source is, let's remember this a few things. It is not confirmed and I'd advise postponing any decisions about next year until it is confirmed either way.

1. The source was only spoken to by Towerstreet. Just because they find the source reliable does not mean they are correct.
2. Merlin know the enthusiasts (who've often defended Alton Towers for the last 6 months) love Hex and it would be a surefire way to annoy their dedicated fans.
3. The Flume is slated for removal on the LTDP.
4. Charlie and The Chocolate Factory's liscensing agreement runs out soon.

Personally, I believe that this source is wrong. While Merlin will make cuts, they're not idiots. Taking this much out of the ride line-up would put people off if it's true. I think Hex, Nemesis:Sub Terra and Driving School will open next year. The only one I could legitimately see shutting is The Flume, especially if SW8's plans have changed, but despite this it has a high ridership from my experience and Scruffy Dog have made two large ducks which I presume is for Alton Towers or Chessington. Make what you want of it I guess.
TH14TEEN

I usually find towersstreet wrong anyway, not a fan of the page at all. I just can't see hex closing, I really can't
JonDoesTT

If it's true, I don't think Towers themselves will confirm it yet, because some members of the GP aren't exactly happy with Towers due to The Smiler (or other reasons), and for them to reveal something like this will not benefit Towers at all.

Credit to NemesisRider
themealgang

Sub Terra isn't a loss in the slightest.

It's the biggest mistake the park have ever made (the next could be VR headsets for Air if that turns into a reality... but that's another issue altogether) and I would be glad to see the back of the ride. And how dare they put the name tag of one of the most legendary roller coasters in the world against what is essentially a very cheap and misleading 'attraction'.

As for Charlie... that's shocking IF this is all true, of course. Everyone knows it could be improved and it by no means did its predecessor any justice. But as one of the top family attractions that still seems to be popular to this day, it seems like a very bad idea to close it for a year when you also remember Alton Towers' key target audience... families.

Same with The Flume.

Terrible idea if you ask me to close six reasonably big and popular attractions for an entire season. But this is Merlin and I would not be surprised if this turns out to be true.

What are this company thinking...
Jammydodger

There could also be the possibility some of these rides need major safety upgrades after HSE have been sniffing around. They were probably allowed to open to the end of the season providing the issues were fixed after.

With all Mack flumes out of operation for whatever reason, maybe this could have been extended to the CaTCF Mack ride system too?

Sub Terra had also seen a lot of things going on with its restraints recently, and Ripsaws restraint system is incredibly dated.

Or they could just be an investment company looking to maximize their profits to make their company look more lucrative....

I feel like the park has gone absolutely OTT with h&s, and there will be many noticable safety features, fences and signs in the new season though.
Dan

Jammydodger wrote:There could also be the possibility some of these rides need major safety upgrades after HSE have been sniffing around. They were probably allowed to open to the end of the season providing the issues were fixed after.
That won't be the case. If any of the attractions at the park required any form of safety upgrades in the aftermath of the Smiler incident, they would have been closed down and not re-opened until any improved safety procedures had been implemented and tested.
xylyx

HSE are only concerned with the smiler, seeing as it injured people, all the other rides have been signed off prior to opening, so to HSE their job is done.

As for sub terra, I like it, it's hardly the most thrilling ride in the world especially in relation to its namesake but it's good fun. Taking folks on who have no idea what will happen is fantastic, similar to first time thirteen riders. I will miss it, not as much as hex if these rumours pan out, but it will be a shame to have it sbno.
mark_h

HSE are only concerned with the smiler, seeing as it injured people, all the other rides have been signed off prior to opening, so to HSE their job is done.
They may have looked at the other rides (in particular the other multi car coasters) to look at operational procedures and staff training.

If they had serious concerns they would have slapped a prohibition notice on them, more minor concerns would have been corrected to an agreed timescale. It is worth noting that some of the other multi car coasters did close for staff retraining, whether this was at the HSE's insistence we don't know.

The HSE would not have let serious concerns wait until the closed season.
Luviico

Wow, really? although this rumour is rather shocking it would not be that surprising if it does happen to be honest although for all 6 to be closed at once it would definitely not help matters in regards to the rebuilding process after the smiler incident.

The flume: Noted in the LTDP that it would be removed in the near future and I don't think anyone can argue with that, yes the overall theme is nice but it is getting very old now and showing in places. It would not survive another retheme and I have always been one of the ones to champion a new exciting (possibly world first) water ride in its place. Even if the flume wasn't planned to be closed for 2016 the news about all mack flumes being shut would make the decision out of Merlin's control. I wonder what the reasoning behind this is?

Ripsaw: Also mentioned in the LTDP to be removed in the near future. If the original SW8 plans are still going ahead then Ripsaw would indeed have to be removed asap. Probably the same reason why the blade was to be removed at the beginning of the 2015 season. What about the blade though? due to popular demand it remained open for the whole season but surely its time should be up now too? if both do indeed go then that will leave one lowly flat on park.. what a state of affairs!

Sub Terra: If true then what a terrible waste of money! I thought the only reason why it was closed for most of the 2015 season was down to it needing new restraints? I mean how long does that take? not THAT long. What seems the more logical explanation is that it would be down to letting a lot of staff go, they wouldn't waste the staff they do have by using them as actors in an attraction that isn't very popular anyway.

Charlie: If the licensing agreement is ending soon then there's not a lot that can be done about that. The whole attraction will have to be ripped out and rethemed.. yet again. Plus, I think almost everyone agrees that it isn't half as good as what teddy tours was. Wouldn't be missed at all IMO.

Driving School: Would make sense if Charlie is to be closed, would make cloud cuckoo land pretty much redundant. Is this area actually needed any more? I mean it can hardly be called an area anyway.

Hex: Now this is the one that would seem the most unlikely. I've never been in Hex myself but from what I can gather it's rather popular? any slight adjustments to theming etc could surely be done during the winter? I cannot understand what would be the reasoning behind it being shut all season.

Obviously this is just a rumour and we must take it with a pinch of salt at the moment but it is not an altogether unlikely idea if things are out of Merlin's control. At least there is one thing in that attendance should be boosted by the reopening of the smiler but at £50 a ticket with there being less and less attractions on offer it is simply not worth the money.
xylyx

Hex is the one that baffles me too. Unless something has come up with the ride, or the ruins are being done around it, etc etc I can't figure why you would close it. I guess we shall see, the park haven't said anything yet so it's still up in the air.
MakoMania

I love Sub-Terra, I hope it doesn't go :(
(Like this post if you like Sub-Terra)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

Further examples this may not be a rumor, taken from the latest blog entry:
Towers Loving Care wrote:..in 2016 we will introduce ‘Towers Loving Care’, our experience improvement scheme which is all about sprinkling extra sparkle and shine on the Resort. From repainting whole areas of the Theme Park, relaying pathways and improving signage, to complete redesigns or refurbishment of attractions.

Over the next 3 years, it is our desire to bring you new and exciting attractions for all ages, develop our accommodation offering and to ensure that the existing areas of the Resort continue to feel our love. As part of this scheme you will see changes to our line up in 2016 but we’ll bring you more news of this in January.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Ryan.B

This season isn't looking the greatest then, but if there is major refurbishments and redesigns, the season after should be good. Hopefully Hex bought up to its best, sub terra improved and Charlie rethemed, and driving school rethemed. Then in 2017 new flat and water ride replacing ripsaw since it sounds like they aren't adding any rides which aren't replacements/rethemes, I am concerned about SW8. I still think it will happen, but maybe not in that year, but thinking about it, redo air over this closed season, sub terra this whole season, and add a coaster in 2017 refurbish Nemesis (if that's not done before 2016, but I doubt it) and a flat in 2018. Maybe swap the flat and coaster around and it'd be fine. I reckon it's going to be done area by area. But this isn't in the actual topic for this which doesn't exist yet :lol
NemesisRider

My question is, with Hex, how much is there that can't be done over closed season? I have absolutely no idea about the amount of maintaining they have to do on the madhouse section, but I'd assume most of the practical effects wouldn't take too long. The Flume does need TLC or removing, when I last rode it was a bit of a state and the station had cobwebs all over the roof.

Charlie I reckon could be rethemed under the Towers Loving Care initiative, especially once the liscence runs out. It's really a very bad or mediocre ride compared to Hex and even Duel.
xylyx

Hex I will miss, sub terra is sad but I've gone a half a season without already so I'll survive. I do look forward to hearing more about what's planned however I don't like how they roll the foodloop into the attraction line up. Then again did they do the same with nitrogenie? Can't remember and my search fu is taking a break.

Can't wait to ride smiler again and looking forward to experiencing the new air so to me it's still a positive but the wording niggles me a little.