Alton Towers ownership future

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Do you wish Alton Towers was sold on?

Yes
38%
No
49%
Don't know
13%

Total votes: 53
Themeparksandy1981

I been thinking today and the way Merlin are running Alton Towers I can see it losing it's number 1 crown next year. Since they took over in 2007 so many attractions have been closed,SBNO,earlier closing times,later ride opening times and rumours now of closed rides to save money but still charge £50+ even with a 2-1 ticket and £6 parking.

Now I look at how the Bryan Family run Drayton Manor and I know they not got top coasters but for a family run park it's no1 for me. Now I would someone to buy Alton Towers and turn it into should a great park again.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MakoMania

I would like to see Alton Towers sold on to a reputable theme park company. Ones I have in mind include Cedar Fair & I know its unlikely but SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. They do such a good job with BGT & BGW.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

The problem with Alton Towers regarding opening hours is where its located, they do have restrictions whether they like it or not. They are still fighting a court case with residents which went to the high court back in 2011 I believe regarding noise disturbance.

Its shifting more into an all-round resort more so than simply a thrill-seeking destination so I'm sure its all in their long-term plans regarding all the removals, SBNO and such.

As for whether it should be sold, don't think Merlin are ready to give up on it just yet but the years ahead will be critical to see if it recovers.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Themeparksandy1981

I look back at Alton Towers when they were owned by the Tussauds group. I 1st went in 1993 and every year new attractions were added.
When a ride/show was removed it was replaced straight away.
Every area had flats to help with the queues of the coasters.

Like in the past 8&a half years Merlin been in charge we had 4 seasons without any new rides.
Rita Fan

Themepark247360 wrote:I would like to see Alton Towers sold on to a reputable theme park company. Ones I have in mind include Cedar Fair & I know its unlikely but SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. They do such a good job with BGT & BGW.
Eurgh, I really don't want to see that. Cedar fairs theming is a joke, and at is famous for theming that's good. Cedar fair don't do their theming well. Plus, cedar fair rides are just too ridiculous and only there to break records. AT, they introduce new rides and actually try to do something with them. If you disagree with my opinion, I have nothing against you for that. But intriguing idea though....
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
owenrita121

Rita Fan wrote:
Themepark247360 wrote:I would like to see Alton Towers sold on to a reputable theme park company. Ones I have in mind include Cedar Fair & I know its unlikely but SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. They do such a good job with BGT & BGW.
Eurgh, I really don't want to see that. Cedar fairs theming is a joke, and at is famous for theming that's good. Cedar fair don't do their theming well. Plus, cedar fair rides are just too ridiculous and only there to break records. AT, they introduce new rides and actually try to do something with them. If you disagree with my opinion, I have nothing against you for that. But intriguing idea though....
Wait what?
Every main coaster at Alton towers has been designed around a gimmick or a record. Fair enough if you don't like Cedar Fair but it's not fair to say that about them, when Merlin do exactly the same.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
stealthsmiler

I agree about Altons coasters. Theirs are designed around worlds first which cost a lot and then the ride suffers. I would like Alton towers to be sold on TBH. Or Merlin to be taken over by someone who values flats and supporting rides preferably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ASturge21

Problem is not many individuals or companies have enough money to invest 15 millions attractions every few years. If merlin decided to focus on one park with their budget for all parks it would be epic.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Jammydodger

The thing you have to accept about Merlin, is that if the park weren't backed by them, and perhaps family owned like Drayton Manor, chances are The Smiler incident probably would've bankrupted the park and shut it down.

There's not really a great deal of scope for the park to be sold on. The Majority of the bigger investors will likely want to have very little to do with the park, mainly because, while no owner has really unlocked its true potential yet, the sheer amount of planning restrictions on the park, means it will eventually cap its potential.

However, I can imagine the company will probably split eventually, and end up franchising its brands, such as Dungeons, Sealife and Eye. Hopefully meaning they focus more on their core parks.
Themeparksandy1981

I doubt under 1 ownership we would have seen a accident on the Smiler. We wouldn't have SBNO rides.areas where rides use to be and difference opening times for selected areas.
I look at parks like Drayton Manor and Paulton's park and how there added more rides not just removing them. Merlin have said this is the budget for next year but to cover the costs of the Air version 2 and the new restaurant we got to close 6 rides to balance the books.
stealthsmiler

TBH I'd rather see Merlin try harder with their parks. They seem to focus more on their midway attractions. They need someone who is passionate about their parks and who improved them for the better. Yes the big coasters do increase park attendance but only for a few years. What you need is a high quality park to keep people coming back. If the park as a whole was a lot better, they could probably go a bit longer before bringing in a new investment as people would want to visit Alton Towers because it's Alton Towers and not for the new attraction that year. It would also mean that each investment could have a higher budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dom

One thing you have to remember is that Merlin also have parks worldwide as well as all the global midway attractions too. It is probably a real headache trying to keep everything up to date and keep the guests wanting to come back. I think the spreading out of new attractions/rides is a good thing and they should continue with it. Yes i do agree also that they should be adding other rides into parks that need it, such as Alton Towers, but i think at this moment in time its not going to have any benefit.

As for the future of Merlin, i can't say as i have no idea. I would like to think that with each passing year they grow and gain more experience and knowledge as to what works and what doesn't. I guess time will tell. They will continue to own and run Alton Towers for at least a few years to come.
Master_feedback

Fact is merlin are a portfolio company and have shareholders its also the second biggest in its field next to Disney and Disney have been lossing millions and millions on disney paris so they wouldn't want to own merlin or AT no one else has the cash to buy it AT is also merlins flagship park in the uk ... if anything thorpe of Chessington are more likely to be sold or closed

Merlin Will give AT a budget based on company and AT profit and the AT management will be the once working out what to spend the money on ... if they put a good business case to merlin for more money then im sure it would be looked at ... but fact is take 50 million plus (my guess more like 100) of the bottom line and thats alot of money to claw back ...
RollercoasterRob

As I see many people are saying that Merlin don't run the park very well I thought I might as well get a few facts straight. The Merlin Enteratinments Group dons NOT own Alton Towers. On the 22 May 2007 Merlin completed the purchase of Tussauds and acquired attractions, Madame Tussaud's, The London Eye, Chessington World of Adventures, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Warwick Castle and Heide Park. As part of the funding, Merlin Enteratinments Group then sold Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Madame Tussaud's and Warwick Castle to Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. on the 17 June 2007. Alton towers is operated by Merlin Entertainments Group on a re-newable 35 year lease. So what this topic actuall means is: Should Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. sell Alton Towers?
MakoMania

They can't sell it whilst it's leased to Merlin.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Lee

RollercoasterRob wrote:As I see many people are saying that Merlin don't run the park very well I thought I might as well get a few facts straight. The Merlin Enteratinments Group dons NOT own Alton Towers. On the 22 May 2007 Merlin completed the purchase of Tussauds and acquired attractions, Madame Tussaud's, The London Eye, Chessington World of Adventures, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Warwick Castle and Heide Park. As part of the funding, Merlin Enteratinments Group then sold Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Madame Tussaud's and Warwick Castle to Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. on the 17 June 2007. Alton towers is operated by Merlin Entertainments Group on a re-newable 35 year lease. So what this topic actuall means is: Should Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. sell Alton Towers?
MakoMania wrote:They can't sell it whilst it's leased to Merlin.
The land itself was sold and leased back on a 35 year deal. The attractions, Hotels etc. are all still owned and operated by Alton Towers Resort Operations ltd which in turn is owned directly by Merlin Entertainments.
RollercoasterRob

Regarding to my previous post, I mabe wasn't as specific as I should have been in the matter. Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. could obviously not sell the land of Alton Towers until after Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. and Merlin Entertainment Group both agree to end the 35 year re-newable lease OR if Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. and Merlin Entertainment Group agree to sell to a buyer willing to continue the 35 year re-newable lease at the end of the current one. OR at the end of the current re-newable lease, if profits were up, Merlin Entertainments Group may decide to buy the park back from Prestbury Investment Holdings Ltd. However if any of this did happen it would be in the distant future as Merlin Entertainment Group are only 8 years in to the lease which means they have at least 27 years left running Alton Towers Resort.

The question should mabe be: Should Merlin Entertainments Group continue with the re-newable 35 year lease?
Themeparksandy1981

I think that's why we seeing a lot of rides rethemed or removed. I bet the rent ain't cheap every year also.