Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mark_h

Not necessarily- If Merlin don't enforce proper operating procedures, turning a blind eye to some deviation from policy, then the liability goes up the chain of management.
Master_feedback

SPAD wrote:
Master_feedback wrote:
TH14TEEN wrote:I cannot see a reason why it would be pushed back, even with the Smiler.
Well apart from the fact its not in the capx budget and the small matter of 50mil plus hole in profits, and the related bad PR from smiler, and not forgetting their is a hight probability that merlin will be in court in 2017 for the smiler crash .... no reason at all to push it back
if Merlin can prove the staff involved were correctly trained, then it will be the individuals prosecuted, not the corperation!!
It makes no diffrence correctly trained or not a situation happend that should have been impossiable that means that process was not followed and merlin failed to ensure the health and safety of it guests by failing to enforce the correct process or the procees being flowed in the first place

if an individual was the sole person resopnsable then they may well have been arrested at the time and it would have been a crimnal matter
But its all of topic

I've just based the timing on the incidents at chessington tomb blaster that took two and a half years till it went to court its just a factor that I'm sure they will have to take into account fyi hydro took four years ... I hope its not hanging over AT for that long! Yet if it takes that long then it would make sence to push ahead than wait till 2018
Exterminieren

The question is of vicarious liability. If the operators are found to be liable in the tort of negligence while working for the Towers, then the Towers will be vicariously liable to a claim as well. Companies simply cannot pass the buck to their employees, even if they didn't do anything wrong themselves.
Liam.W

With the flume not opening in 2016 and the possibility of it being removed I have a feeling SW8 will be on the flume site
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

JaykeAT

smileradvocate1 wrote:With the flume not opening in 2016 and the possibility of it being removed I have a feeling SW8 will be on the flume site
Possibly, but there was provisional planning permission (I thin that's what it's called) sent in earlier this year pointing towards a FV coaster. It would seem a bit odd for them to do that and then not build on it. Unless they've changed original plans and are now considering a more family based ride (a-la 13) on The Flume's site.
Stan.H

I really hope AT don't go for another family coaster so soon, I'd like another thrill ride, preferably Wooden and by RMC or GCI. Or some cool coaster with a dark ride section.
Aidan Lowe

smileradvocate1 wrote:With the flume not opening in 2016 and the possibility of it being removed I have a feeling SW8 will be on the flume site
If this is the case then AT have been busy switching around plans as not a month or so ago they said The Flume will re-open in 2016.

Strange goings on behind closed doors.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:
If this is the case then AT have been busy switching around plans as not a month or so ago they said The Flume will re-open in 2016.

Well, last minute is Alton Towers' speciality.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Adam.W

The problem with it being on the flume site is that it would need to fit in with mutiny bay, or at least blend well with it. Otherwise you'd get some out of place thing again like the flume currently is. Also, there's a big lake in the way :?
Georgie

The flume site is rather big, and they could always have the entrance on the other side and make use of the Haunted Hollow area too. I've always said a Mack launch would be perfect around there.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Jack

Themepark247360 wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:

Well, last minute is Alton Towers' speciality.
Last minute design changes will not happen due to how much of a task designing a ride can take, and how short notice this would be. We have known the Flume is planned to depart from the resort because of the Long Term Development plan and so I must say, don't expect plan changes based on a the Flumes possible removal. :)
TheBeast

Hopefully they should utilize the Flume site once it has departed to make a couple of flats, althought that would be difficult being a big lake. Is that section allowed to have changes made to it considering its proximity to the actual Towers themselves?

The Flume is a pretty massive ride, it will be difficult to remove. I see no reason why they cant just build an updated version?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
stealthsmiler

I personally think a new family ride would be a good idea. Although a thrill ride would be better for me, I think a family coaster would be more beneficial for the park at the moment. Something like 13 that's suitable for all. A new Mutiny Bay coaster would be easy to theme however I do like the idea of having the entrance in Haunted Hollow and making that into an area. If that were to happen id get rid of Gloomy Wood and jut make it all Haunted Hollow. No physical changes just remove the name. I personally prefer haunted hollow as a name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owenrogers2015

I think a coaster like Furius Baco would fit well into the flume area as the track could swoop around the water and go off into the forest maybe going through a pirate ship or something. It would be good if it was manufactured by mack although as they have smooth rides and if the ride were to be kind of family friendly, the kids wouldn't have a rough time. I think there would be a launch on it like Furius Baco as of course Alton Towers are restricted to a certain height so a lift hill would be unlikely. My guessed speed if so would be around 30-50mph as Rita is branded as ' The queen of speed' although oblivion is faster and if they wanted it to be more family friendly, there couldn't be TOO much of a force. Maybe a steady build up to the launch.
http://ridecount.com/signatures/2802.png?1448296154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liam.W

Since it was re-themed to fit in the dark forest it is now called 'rita', not 'Rita: queen of speed'
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

fillc85

Just wondering, the long term development plan says Sonic is to be relocated or removed. Could it get re-themed and moved to part of either, Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon if the flume goes? if you think how big that area is including the queue line. Due to the difficulties this year they could change the timescale round and do that first - p.s sorry if this has been mentioned.
MakoMania

fillc85 wrote:Just wondering, the long term development plan says Sonic is to be relocated or removed. Could it get re-themed and moved to part of either, Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon if the flume goes? if you think how big that area is including the queue line. Due to the difficulties this year they could change the timescale round and do that first - p.s sorry if this has been mentioned.
I've always wanted to see Spinball in Katanga Canyon :)

I think there's room there as well.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Adam.W

Themepark247360 wrote:
fillc85 wrote:Just wondering, the long term development plan says Sonic is to be relocated or removed. Could it get re-themed and moved to part of either, Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon if the flume goes? if you think how big that area is including the queue line. Due to the difficulties this year they could change the timescale round and do that first - p.s sorry if this has been mentioned.
I've always wanted to see Spinball in Katanga Canyon :)

I think there's room there as well.
I think by 'relocated' it meant that it would be sold to another company/park, or if it comes down to it, in storage or in another merlin attraction. Also, it would be hard to get permission around KC if I'm not mistaken due to height restrictions around the area, and the tree cutting :)
TH14TEEN

Sw8 will be in forbidden valley. I can guarantee.
NemesisRider

TH14TEEN wrote:Sw8 will be in forbidden valley. I can guarantee.
Whilst the plans would suggest that, we are unsure if there have been any changes since. Also, who is your source? It always helps if you say who your source is. :)