Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ryan.B

I said this before as soon as plans were released- I think the lift hill theming element will be a vortex or portal into another universe or something, how they could pull it off I don't know, but could it use projection?
NemesisRider

Whilst a launch would be a fun and unique element, we must bear in mind this would further increase wait times and would make downtime more frequent. Also, it would mess up the speeds around the rest of the track, even if it was a controlled launch like on Maverick.
Liam.W

Watching part 2 of TPW's Europa park vlog and Shawn is hinting again of VR coming "to a park near you". His reaction to the VR is very good so it looks promising if air does get it next season
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Aidan Lowe

Depends on the visual sequence attached, there is no denying VR tech is good hence why every major company in the world wants a piece of it, Microsoft/Google/Sony. Question I want to know is how much detail is going into said virtual world we'll be seeing. (Example) I want Avatar style production, not Minecraft.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

Andy Mc wrote:Depends on the visual sequence attached, there is no denying VR tech is good hence why every major company in the world wants a piece of it. Microsoft/Google/Sony. Question I want to know is how much detail is going into said virtual world we'll be seeing. (Example) I want Avatar style production, not Minecraft.
If it is something that is well detailed and has a good story behind it, ill be happy. Anything else and I wont bother with it. Hopefully VR will be optional like at Europa.

Aidan Lowe

It'll have to be optional as with an experimental tech like VR in its infancy you can't make it mandatory in case it flat out fails.

Each headset will have to be cleaned, recharged & made sure its in sync with everything.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Ryan.B

If mandatory wifi could go down, causing problems.
Sawboss

Andy Mc wrote:I want Avatar style production, not Minecraft.
Hey now, I've played Quake II on an oculus and it still looked cool :lol
Owen

Is no one concerned with the fact that the implementation of virtual reality has made the coaster in Europa park have its dispatch time extended by over 5 times?

Now take air - which is already very slow, image the queues!
stealthsmiler

Or as Alton will see it. Think of the money from headsets AND fast tracks. After the Smiler incident. Money will be high up on priority list for next year goals. Think about it. VR on air equals 1) a UK first to draw in guests increasing ticket sales and profits. 2) rental of the headsets ( if this is the case) and therefore increasing profits. 3) longer queues ( whether caused by slower dispatch time or general increase in riders) and therefore increase fast track sales and in profits. 4) new merchandise to sell and therefore an increase in profits. Add on roller coaster restaurant (easily themed to space) you have another UK first and an increase in people dining there (won't be cheap) and therefore increase in profits. Then add any other new additions for next year which will either generate money themselves or just increase ticket sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owen

Oh I'm not denying that it possibly might increase profits, I'm saying that we can expect insane queues if this attraction is popular :)
stealthsmiler

On a positive note. If it does get huge queues then when the Smiler does reopen. It should have smaller queues giving me the opportunity to make up for lost time. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MakoMania

Would it be possible to attach the VR 'eyegear' to the restraints and have it slide up & down dependent on the rider's height. This would reduce dispatch time I think.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Liam.W

Themepark247360 wrote:Would it be possible to attach the VR 'eyegear' to the restraints and have it slide up & down dependent on the rider's height. This would reduce dispatch time I think.
What if you don't want VR?

Adam.W

smileradvocate1 wrote:
Themepark247360 wrote:Would it be possible to attach the VR 'eyegear' to the restraints and have it slide up & down dependent on the rider's height. This would reduce dispatch time I think.
What if you don't want VR?
Have the mechanism slide up and click in to the top? (Or fold up or whatever)
Ryan.B

On a train of Alpen express, when not even half the train have VR, dispatch goes up from 20 seconds to almost 2 minutes, air already takes almost that much time so capacity would be reduced by possibly a few hundred, it would probably struggle for 1000 an hour, and Alton will advertise it as new meaning more people will flock to it, causing even longer queues. Yes it may make a profit, but will it really make the ride experience better?
Rita Fan

Virtual reality is a stupid idea. Putting it on a roller coaster would make you feel INCREDIBLY sick
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Rita Fan wrote:Virtual reality is a stupid idea. Putting it on a roller coaster would make you feel INCREDIBLY sick
If it's done well then those sort of side effects should be minimal, if at all existent. Ultimately, the virtual reality video should match with the motion you're experiencing, with the only difference being that the environment you're seeing is completely different to what you're in.
Rita Fan

I'm just very motion sick. Life has been nice and let me not feel ill from roller coasters. But I can't do boats. Problem is, you can't see yourself moving, and you feel yourself moving. This is too much for the brain to handle and makes you feel INCREDIBLY sick.
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Owen

I think you are being too closed minded, if you haven't experienced it before you can hardly express how you feel sick with this technology :-s