The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xylyx

That's a fantastic video, makes me hunger for it ever more.......

It is the only upside of the cattle pen you get sine awesome views of the ride, and its so intimidating.
Adam.W

Some pictures of the surrounding area from the pre smiler days if anyone has always wondered and forgotten like me :) Enjoy :D

It's here when I realised that the smiler entrance and the black hole entrance were in near enough the same place :)

Aidan Lowe

How the landscape has changed..
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
stealthsmiler

As much as I love the smiler. And it is my favourite ride on the park. I do miss X Sector like this. I think it has a much better atmosphere like this and the empty tent worked quite well IMO as it has some mystery about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROYJESS

I miss the Black Hole
mark_h

Could you do before and after versions of the pictures.
daveclarkedaveclarke

What a fantastic video! Thanks for sharing shame its still not been cleared yet.
NemesisRider

Here's some pics of testing, there's a lot and they're high quality so those with weak WiFi be warned! ;)

Ryan.B

Trains 1 and 5 have been spotted, and on the first picture that's either a 2 or 3 I think..
Justin

With The Smiler approaching it's first full week of operation since the incident, the ride is returning back to normal.

The logos have been reattached to the front of the trains, screens have been refocused and The Smiler bedrooms are now available to book again. The 'HALF WAY CORRECTED' sign remains just 'HALF WAY', but it is great to see the resort return back to normal!

The Smiler is a great ride and I am looking forward to riding it again in a few weeks time!
Tom170499

Ryan.B wrote:Trains 1 and 5 have been spotted, and on the first picture that's either a 2 or 3 I think..
In this photo from Towers Times, you can clearly see train 2:

If trains 1 & 5 have been spotted than that means the trains involved in the accident were 3 & 4
Justin

Has anyone seen queue times reach greater than 20 minutes for The Smiler?

Personally, I'm pleased as it means I can get repeated rides, but is this down to the time of year? I can't remember what queue times were reaching this time last year?
Owen

It's likely to be the time of year, as not many rides are getting super large queues. I'm sure by the summer queues will be crazy so I'd say get there while you can! :lol

Right now it seems to be more down to the rotation of the park as there are larger queues toward the left side of the park which is standard for this time of day.
Justin

I appreciate that it is not the summer, but it is a bank holiday within the Easter holidays. At the moment ride times are showing 0 mins for The Smiler. Out of the many times I've visited, I've not know it to be this quiet. I do wonder if Galactica is having an influence, along with TLC closures?
Ladyofthelake

Justin wrote:I appreciate that it is not the summer, but it is a bank holiday within the Easter holidays. At the moment ride times are showing 0 mins for The Smiler. Out of the many times I've visited, I've not know it to be this quiet. I do wonder if Galactica is having an influence, along with TLC closures?
I think the weather forecast will have had quite a significant part to play this weekend. The forecast was for rain most of the weekend and whilst the rain doesn't appear to have been as bad as expected, many people will have decided to wait until better weather is forecast to make their trip to the park - hence the quieter queue times.
Justin

A factor I hadn't considered Lakey!

It will be interesting to see if times increase. As long as they dip down when I go ;)
Dan

I just think that the low queue times are down to the accident and subsequent media circus that surrounded it.

Remember, The Smiler only has 3 trains at present and it still isn't generating any queues. At the height of its popularity 3 train operation would have seen the queue time skyrocket whereas at the moment The Smiler just isn't getting the number of guests that it used to.

Hopefully as the season goes on and the ride remains out of the media more people will want to ride it again but I think it'll be at least the beginning of next season until we see queue times like we used to.
AltonOctopus

What is with the "time to get corrected being removed". Is it to make It more politically correct or something to do with sensitivity towards the accident last year? I'm quite disappointed to be honest.
Dan

AltonOctopus wrote:What is with the "time to get corrected being removed". Is it to make It more politically correct or something to do with sensitivity towards the accident last year? I'm quite disappointed to be honest.
It's all to do with sensitivity around the accident.

Some could argue that the victims involved in the crash were "corrected" so Merlin have played it safe and removed it.

That being said, I believe that the line "time to get corrected" still plays in the indoor queueline although at a much lower volume than before. I haven't been since opening weekend so I'm not sure if it's back up to normal volume.

I expect the Half Way Corrected sign to be back to normal before the end of the season.
Smiffy107

Me and my sister are going to visit in June and we both decided even if it was human error that caused the smiler incident, we aren't chancing it. I shan't miss riding it, I have plenty of other awesome rides I cannot wait to get on anyway :P
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'