The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
adam1942

Maybe its not working correctly? The ridetimes website was not working for me whilst over last week.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

When I queried it on Twitter they stated the following:

[align=center]Image[/align]
prawny

Just me being hopeful then! I was meant to be going on thursday but the wife is having her wisdom teeth out instead. Fingers crossed it'll be open by the time we get get chance again.
Aidan Lowe

Vicky appeared on ITVs Good Morning Today and the video can be seen here, while I understand her frustration about the whole thing, Vicky seems to be jumping to every media opportunity as opposed to the others which is kinda irritating.

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/n ... ll-re-open" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
SPAD

the thing is, its never going to be the right time to reopen the ride in her eyes is it.... the other girl seems to have a much better outlook on life than this girl does!!
xylyx

That is a very strange statement:"it needs to be closed longer out of respect"

I don't see how it being closed beyond proving it's safe to run makes it more respectful. Especially as it was human error, out of respect they can make sure it never happens again.

As you say there will be no right time to open it, and she does seem to be embracing the media, which is a little galling.

Very odd.
munqui

Hi guys, was on park Saturday 26th, it was definitely more busy probably due to the nice weather!

Took a couple of pics of smiler testing, can see trains 5.1 and 1.1 from what I got....

Rita Fan

Ladies and gentleman, I am about to ask the stupidist question of all time. How can you tell which trains are which? Everyone's saying "train one was seen going round today" but from what I can tell, I can't see any numbers are the trains. So how?
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
iaintraynor

Rita Fan wrote:Ladies and gentleman, I am about to ask the stupidist question of all time. How can you tell which trains are which? Everyone's saying "train one was seen going round today" but from what I can tell, I can't see any numbers are the trains. So how?
Top right hand corner on the square piece of steel under the smile
Jack

On the square plate below the Smiler logo on the trains, there are two numbers, the first number is the train number and the next one is the car number :)
Liam.W

Andy Mc wrote:Vicky appeared on ITVs Good Morning Today and the video can be seen here, while I understand her frustration about the whole thing, Vicky seems to be jumping to every media opportunity as opposed to the others which is kinda irritating.

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/n ... ll-re-open" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw that this morning. I know it is life changing for her but don't take it out on the towers. I think the towers have been extremely good dealing with what's happened and helping the people involved
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Rita Fan

Ahh thanks jack. Clears things up a lot. Cheers mate :D
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
iaintraynor

Merlin profit from peoples enjoyment.

The media profit from peoples misery.

I know who I'd rather work for.
Sawboss

Don't get frustrated with Miss Balch, no one can say how they would act in her position until they've been in it. Yes, the other girl seems to be getting on with life better but everyone is different and deals with things in a different way. If she was prone to depressive moods anyway, I've read nothing saying she is but it's always possible, it could be incredibly hard to deal with and focusing that sadness onto the object that caused it is totally understandable.

That said, I hate when people talk about respect in situations like this. It's a poorly defined word in this context. We could open the ride now, it's fully functional, buuuut we're gonna keep it closed for an arbitrary length of time since... you know, Respect? Also we're gonna paint it all black and call it the super sombre ride and anyone who shows enjoyment on it will be politely shunned and told they are a bad person. Ok i'll shut up.
xylyx

With you there Sawboss the term respect is so nebulous and it doesn't really mean anything. Drives me mad when I see it used in this context.
Vonnie

Sawboss

I didn't see any response to online speculation in there. In fact, that looks like the complete press release of which we only saw a few snippets in the daily mail article about Vicky being told about the potential for reopening.
Themeparksandy1981

I think they should just open it without notice. On Central News they said HSE was still investigating the case. The people they interviewed as they left the park was mixed. Some said it was to early and some said they could not wait to ride it again.
Aidan Lowe

The backlash those articles & interviews is going to have will be another big hit imo, there is a public outcry on social media from people who have their heads so far up their own tush, believing the articles which were clearly taken out of context & their words will spread like wildfire to their mates and Nick Varney is right, this period of attendance is gonna go on into 2016 most probably.

So many people saying its insensitive, disrespectful & an insult and to boycott Alton Towers. Our nation truly is one of a kind.. it actually embarrasses me to be British to a point, any other country and I'd wager this media frenzy wouldn't of happened.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Adam.W

'According to the Sunday Mirror, Ms Balch said she was told by bosses at the theme park that the Smiler could start running again, potentially by the end of the year.'

I'm taking the mirror as a pinch of salt but imo this suggests that the prohibitation notice has been lifted, as it declares that the ride couldn't be operated. Pretty much already guessed/assumed but that clears it up.