Ripsaw (and Blade) to be removed?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
lucozade

No your absolutely right, the log flume actually goes through an area designated as 'the gardens' which are protected. Although Rita/13 also had a similar problem that was overcome with the cork screws unthinkable removal (it was still very popular). The log flumes total site could comfortably be taken over by 2 flats and a new flume or family coaster.
Alton13Nemesis

If they were to move blade to mutiny bay, its such a big ride i cannot see it fitting snugly anywhere, it would always stick out too much? It has a massive footprint.
inFusion

It would fit with the theme more in Mutiny Bay though. A pirate ship isn't really "forbidden" as such, is it?
lucozade

Blade & ripsaw are ready for the bin. They will be replaced by new flats according to the AT plan.& Merlin prefer rides with a small footprint.
matt79

I'd be heartbroken if they got rid of Ripsaw. It's the ultimate 'Go on with your mates' ride, and as every time is different it's always a great laugh. One hot July day in 2002 I think we went on it around 20 times!

Also with Blade, pirate ship rides are a great stepping stone for younger visitors before they can go on the bigger rides.
Ryan.B

A new model of the blade In mutiny bay as the current one is very old (in fact I think it's the oldest on park) and it needs a refurb or a new model, small children might not want to go further than Katanga Canyon anyway. I love Ripsaw as well and do not want it removed unless it is for a RMC or Floorless topspin
DeanGaryCox

New log flume themed to mutiny bay... Along with a pirate swinging ship over the lake, like at chessington or Drayton manor :)
lucozade

I really can't see a new log flume keeping the terrible entrance location. There Is a long 'dead walk' from mutany bay to the canyon that could do with something (a new log flume entrance people can actually find!) And mutany bay is PACKED with people AND attractions/food. Something needs to draw people up to the other rides.

But both ripsaw & blade are named as being removed/replaced (not rethemed) on the official towers plans. Ripsaws maintenance has become very expensive, I assume the blade is the same seeing as next year, it will be 35 years old!!! Originally openedcin 1980 as the pirate ship where oblivion is now. Its ancient and better rides exist.
nemefan08

I can see where your coming from, blade is a walk on and ripsaw is now horrible to maintain. They may be on their last legs.
Morgan

Think about Rammy at Chessie- when that goes, several years shall go until Rippy goes.
lucozade

Yea they both are around 20 years old, with ram a few years older than rip. They won't be around much longer with rams incidents and rips running costs taking its toll on both parks.
stevebrown

If Ripsaw did get removed, maybe they could replace it with this?

https://www.facebook.com/coasterinsanit ... 163679401/
Aidan Lowe

Oh my god, that's beautiful :D Maybe a bit too big though for AT.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Kirsty25

stevebrown wrote:If Ripsaw did get removed, maybe they could replace it with this?

https://www.facebook.com/coasterinsanit ... 163679401/
Bleugh, that would make me feel rather sick. I really like Blade, not as good as other pirate ships I've been on but its one of those rides that I will always go on during a visit. Ripsaw personally wouldn't miss it as I find Rammy far better and runs on a better cycle and it's queue is far too big!
Adam.W

I believe that the blade and ripsaw will be getting removed for SW8, in their screening with the council, they said that existing attraction(s) will be getting removed. However, we've all heard the ripsaw moving to Xsector rumor, perhaps ripsaw could be getting scrapped, but a new top spin (newer model?) could be built in Xsector, possibly where submission (potentially enterprise aswell, not sure though) are/were. If the blade and ripsaw were to be closed at the end of this season, a new top spin could be built in Xsector during closed season. As for the blade, well, it will probably either get scrapped, moved to another park, or, well, not removed at all and kept right there :lol
Zach

Blade will be removed or SBNO by September/October time to my understanding. More than likely the latter of the two. Ripsaw however won't be going anywhere, I can't see it being re-located after speaking to some of the engineers on the park the ride simply wouldn't survive the move if dismantling it and rebuilding it. I also can't see it going for another few years at least simply on the grounds the ride keeps having money thrown at it (currently it's having more than simple work done on one of its arms) which if the park were planning on removing it at the end of the season anyway I wouldn't see them doing due to budgets being tight as it is. Also they will need the ride to soak up the queues which SW8 will pull into FV. Also the crowds FV will pull in next season too.
TH14TEEN

Ripsaw going, spoke to a staff member today. SW8, last they heard, was a hybrid woodie and ripsaw is sitting right on its proposed shop and queue entrance.
MRWTHO-AT

Doesn't surprise me and follows on from Submission's removal last year. For me, Alton Towers' attitude is rollercoasters first, flat rides second.
Martin
Aidan Lowe

Be a shame to see another flat go should it go but tbh its a tame ride in its old age and offers very little thrills nowadays given the sequences the ride ops use.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TheBeast

I disagree... I am a fan of Ripsaw because its quite different to most rides, obviously there is Rameses at Chessington but I rarely can get to Chessington, living up North. Its a pity that it is getting old, if I'm honest, but I guess all rides do. I think the new restraints show it is staying too... I can't really say the same about the Blade though. I reckon that's going at the end of the season
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!