BH lift music?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Jon

I was just listening to the Black Hole Lift Hill sound (tis spooky) and i sounded an awful lot like the sound on the Space Mountain advert.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Adam

Give us a link...
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Jon

erm. how do I do that? :?: its not on the site anymore, i just looked, sigh
Formerly "Dagoo"
Adam

errm.. you could try and upload it to somewhere like... http://putfile.com/ :)
Jimbob

its on th TT main site under the Blackhole page
Adam

Oh, i. Its simular but not the same music.
CGM

I don't remember it being on when I rode it. Mind you, the effects weren't on when i rode it either
PikaKaiLily

I noticed that too. If you have the Lion King on video, watch the ads and the Black Hole lift music is there on Space Mountain! And I like it!
Doctor: The thing is, Adam, that time travel is just like Paris. You cant just read the guidebook, youve got to throw yourself in. Eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double then end kissing complete strangers or is that just me?
Queen of Speed

Its not the black hole music. Its similar, but not the track which was played on the ride.
simonjonnemeth

Very old thread I know, but here:

The music is called Encounter by Andy Quin. The full version is on SoundCloud.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CorkyForever

Thanks for the full link and ID. I'd only ever found the last half of the track online.
Most Recent Visit
Justin

My first Alton coaster. Thanks for posting!
CorkyForever

I've just found the space mountain advert on YouTube (can't link on mobile for some reason) but I do think that it is the same song. Intriguing. I know that the black hole was inspired by SM so it seems plausible.

Edit: Andy Quinn has the Space Mountain advert on his website so it appears that it is the same song.

Out of interest, not that it matters, but does anyone know whether that song was on the original black hole or only after the steam punk retheme? It appears that it was used for both rides around about the same time.

If the new music came with the retheme then that puts Disney ahead at 1995 with Black hole using the music from 1998. This makes sense given what we know about the ride inspiration.
/analysis end
Most Recent Visit
Shockadelica

If memory serves me right, the music appeared along with the steampunk re-theme, which I think was actually 1996 For Black Hole.
CorkyForever

Shockadelica wrote:If memory serves me right, the music appeared along with the steampunk re-theme, which I think was actually 1996 For Black Hole.
OK, thanks. (I thought that I had got that date off the photo archive but maybe that was the date of the actual photos not the retheme.)
Most Recent Visit
simonjonnemeth

Is the old lift hill music possibly another Graham Smart production? The whole main station theme (the one also used on Dominator at Thorpe) and another Black Hole track is on this site (http://graham-smart.bandcamp.com/album/doom-and-gloom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Could this be the mysterious other, earlier lift hill music you are thinking of?
CorkyForever

simonjonnemeth wrote:Is the old lift hill music possibly another Graham Smart production? The whole main station theme (the one also used on Dominator at Thorpe) and another Black Hole track is on this site (http://graham-smart.bandcamp.com/album/doom-and-gloom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Could this be the mysterious other, earlier lift hill music you are thinking of?
I wasn't sure whether there had been any lift hill music before the retheme at all (or whether they had carried on using the same music which would mean they used the encounter song before Disney which seems very unlikely).

However, the track 'The Pendulum' on your link does sound like a potential lift hill song from some point in the BH's history.

So to summarise we've got 3 songs from the ride, the station music (which we assume was after the retheme), the pendulum (which probably went along with this) and the Disney advert song (encounter) which could have been switched in or out as the lift hill music at any point probably after the retheme too.

I expect that the station music and the pendulum were the original songs commisoned for the retheme and then they decided to add in the space mountain advert song after they had seen it used for space mountain (the ride that the retheme was inspired by). Just my deductions though.
Most Recent Visit
ripsaw97

Was the Detonator music not used on BH?
CorkyForever

ripsaw97 wrote:Was the Detonator music not used on BH?
I don't think so but maybe someone else knows for sure? It does have similar ticking in it.
Most Recent Visit
Jammydodger

It was definitely used on Detonator for a few years between 2009-2011 I think. If I remember right, it changed back when they changed the fright nights track. It was when they changed it back that they busted the speakers at the top with the countdown, ever since then, the countdown cuts out while at the top.

Station earth would play while the catch car reconnected and Ecounter would play while it ascended.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also here's a pretty rare POV ride just before it closed down, so you can tell the music is the same, although it appears slightly edited. (I can't work out whether its been dubbed over the top or not actually, but it seems to dip in and out a lot, and you can hear the other noises...)
Warning: highly nostalgic!