Opening Day

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
vikkimoo

Hi guys, just a quick question - how busy is opening day/weekend usually? I've got a friend visiting that weekend and as I only live about 90 mins from AT we thought we'd try and go. I've never been on opening weekend before though so not sure if it's a good idea or not?
vikkimoo

Also I have been a numpty and posted this twice by accident (computer based numptiness) - apologies!
Zach

I always go opening day as I will this year and can say from experience it's never more busy than a usual weekend and if anything last years was quite quiet from what I remember I would expect some again this year with no new major attraction aside from the kidde coaster but that won't draw crowds for big rides such as roller coasters :) go for it buddy plus it's always fun to be apart of the stampede run when the gates open ;)
vikkimoo

Cheers TheSmilerMan, the stampede run sounds like fun - we'll keep an eye out for you!
Zach

You really can't miss me ;) :moj and please do say hi if you do see me :)
Tom G

It can be fairly busy when there is a major new ride, but since that's not the case this year it will be relatively quiet.
vikkimoo

That's what we're hoping, thanks TomG!
kenmac15

On opening day can you still get in early with an annual pass or is it just a blanket 10 am opening time ??
lewis97
Admin
Admin

kenmac15 wrote:On opening day can you still get in early with an annual pass or is it just a blanket 10 am opening time ??
Early Ride Time is available on opening day, so you will be able to get in at 9am with an annual pass.
kenmac15

Blinding cheers lewis
Sentri558

I know that opening day has just passed but for future reference when opening day is on Valentines day you'll get a mixed bag.
More people coming due to it being a 'special day' and less people going because they want to spend time with their partner/loved one(s)
vikkimoo

Sorry, I meant for the full opening day in March - there's no way I'm brave enough to face all the kids at the Feb Half Term event!!!
Wedjie

Still much busier than the secret opening day the week before ;)

One of the perks of working for John Lewis ;)
Zach

Nothing secret about it, plus it's not a public day :) it's more of a training day for newbies :P
vikkimoo

We had a FANTASTIC day yesterday, I would definitely go on opening day again - thanks to everyone for your help. Got on Thirteen just before it broke down, and went to the Smiler first thing, risky strategy but it paid off cos we only waited about 40 mins for it (and I think I saw TheSmilerMan legging it through the empty queue line well ahead of us as soon as it opened!). My only grumble was the loading on Oblivion, they were only loading one train at a time with 3 trains backed up waiting to be unloaded, leaving it with a massive queue.
Zach

vikkimoo wrote:We had a FANTASTIC day yesterday, I would definitely go on opening day again - thanks to everyone for your help. Got on Thirteen just before it broke down, and went to the Smiler first thing, risky strategy but it paid off cos we only waited about 40 mins for it (and I think I saw TheSmilerMan legging it through the empty queue line well ahead of us as soon as it opened!). My only grumble was the loading on Oblivion, they were only loading one train at a time with 3 trains backed up waiting to be unloaded, leaving it with a massive queue.
I casually walked the first bit ;) but yes I was having a great jog through the queue line with the old crystal maze theme tune going through my head...love an empty queue line! Glad you had a great day.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

One thing I want to know is who was on the front row of the smiler's first train, only two people went up the right hand side before me and they along with me were on the 2nd row.