Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

On AT snapchat last night it followed the media team on their ultimate sleepover, but you could only film on your way to certain places. Filming in the towers and Hex etc; is not.
arw2010

Yeah just seen that, guess them losing a free advert is their loss.
Air14

Going next Saturday is scary tales any good!?
arw2010

Hope the people who are at the first public extreme sleep over are having fun tonight! :nervious: :yikes:
Alton13Nemesis

Air14 wrote:Going next Saturday is scary tales any good!?
scary tales is actually really good, much better than zombies this year.
arw2010

Best of all the sign says you can take pictures and film video. Eat you heart out Ultimate sleepover! Guess you can take pictures on that though.
Dr0idd

Hey guys I'm new to posting but have been reading the forum for ages. I'm visiting scarefest for the first time on Wednesday 29th and have a couple of questions:

1. How busy do you reckon it'll be? I'm a single rider but I just wondered.
2. I've never done a scare maze but am anxious about it. I'm happy going through scarezones, but haven't done a maze, any tips or thoughts?

3. Do I need to book maze tickets online? I'll be doing it for just myself, but it depends if I'm up to it on the day.

Thanks guys :)
JustWill

I HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN ON MY FIRST SCAREMAZE!

Scary Tales, a really good scare-maze. The theme is great, but could someone enlighten me on the theme, I know that it is about a tortured mind, but I just don't understand that much more, assuming that isn't it! :lol (I may be wrong: I've been wrong before... a lot before!)

Really quiet when we went (Tues 21st)- really quiet probably something to do w/ the weather- 5 min queues for the smiler!
Altontowersbarlow

TMIwill wrote:I HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN ON MY FIRST SCAREMAZE!

Scary Tales, a really good scare-maze. The theme is great, but could someone enlighten me on the theme, I know that it is about a tortured mind, but I just don't understand that much more, assuming that isn't it! :lol (I may be wrong: I've been wrong before... a lot before!)
It is meant to follow the story of a person who is mentally disturbed and has decided to write a fairy-tale book. Due to their mental state they twist the fairy-tales into more sinister stories. The Scary Tales book has manifested itself in a hidden stretch of woodland at The Alton Towers Resort. This is just what I gathered from the teasers and information Alton Towers posted on social media about their newest scare attraction. I hope this helps. :)
toxicgirl

Dr0idd wrote:Hey guys I'm new to posting but have been reading the forum for ages. I'm visiting scarefest for the first time on Wednesday 29th and have a couple of questions:

1. How busy do you reckon it'll be? I'm a single rider but I just wondered.
2. I've never done a scare maze but am anxious about it. I'm happy going through scarezones, but haven't done a maze, any tips or thoughts?

3. Do I need to book maze tickets online? I'll be doing it for just myself, but it depends if I'm up to it on the day.

Thanks guys :)
Hi

I went yesterday and it was quiet for Scarefest, but next week should be much busier as most schools in and around the surrounding county are off, plus it's nearer Halloween. The atmosphere is better when it's busier though.

In a maze you have to put your hands on the shoulders on the person in front, and you'll be in a 'conga line' of about 12 people. If you're anxious just make sure you're not at the front or the back - someone will usually swap with you if you find yourself in that position. At AT the actors don't touch you so remembering that should help you feel less anxious. People who scream alot get 'picked on' most.

In my experience there are always plenty of slots left for mazes on the day. Personally I don't feel right not doing the mazes during Scarefest - they're part of what's special about the event.

Anyone been on the Altonville or overnight experiences?? Would love to hear about those!
Dr0idd

Thanks toxicgirl, cant wait now,I think I'm gonna try the mazes :)
arw2010

Will be our first scarefest tomorrow! Diving head first into it by going on the overnight experience! Will post to say how we got on, no spoilers of course!
Wish us luck! Can't wait to see scary takes too.
Mark-Cal

I thought Doctor Kelman wasn't returning this year, he was certainly there yesterday.
Jammydodger

I think one of the problems at hand now, is that if they're going to have a 3rd maze, it will be really hard to live up to the length and atmosphere of ToTT and The Sanctuary with the space left in the park. They obviously have no interest in hosting them by the hotels anymore, and obviously the Black Hole tent isn't at their disposal. CoS lost a lot of its charm when it moved the Goal striker route too.

One thing that deeply worries me about Scary Tales, is that it remarkably resembled the format of a HHN Haunted House, in that it may as well have been a maze, but instead of batching, its just continuous flow of people. I hope that they don't start to merge Scare zones and Scare Mazes in to the same thing.
arw2010

Just got back from The Ultimate Sleepover!!
It was really epic and worth every penny. All of its part are brilliant and well scripted.
Worth a go if you get the chance! :yikes:
definedancing

Went to my first Scarefest on Friday and really enjoyed it. Loved how immersive everything was and enjoyed the rides in the dark too. We did Nemesis, Rita, Oblivion and Th13teen in the dark, and I particularly enjoyed Th13teen; a whole different beast when you have no idea where you are! We also got the last 3 tickets for the scaremazes! I'd never done one before so didn't know what to expect. Found Terror of the Towers to be a lot of fun more than scary, but found The Sanctuary to be genuinely quite creepy! Looking forward to going again on Wednesday and to the fireworks on the 7th. :)
Milgod

Right. First off, thank you for any comments/help you guys can give. I've asked some of these things before, but as it's closer to the visit I thought I'd check.

I'm visiting this Saturday (rain predicted atm). We'll have a few children with us, but they aren't too bothered about the mazes (not old enough really).

I have 2for1 vouchers. I haven't found anything that says they would apply in the terms and conditions (kelloggs vouchers). Just wondering if asnyone has used these during Scarefest and can confirm they're still good to go.

- What time does the park open?
- To drive into
- Gates open for rides

I know it'll be busy. That's understandable and will add to the atmosphere I'm sure, but what do you think would be best to do in terms of which rides first. Would getting a fast-track for Smiler and then trying to get some other rides early be best?

Has anyone used the family voucher for the pizza and pasta buffet restaurant?

Thanks for the help. Any other tips that spring to mind I would be eternally grateful.
Morgan

I've heard about a path from X-Sector to CCL. I personally think Tales should be moved there, freeing the Goalseeker place.
A maze could go there called "The Kitchen".
The story is:
"Hinshaw's Family Restaraunt closed in the late 90's due to budget cuts. During the restaraunts last few days, Chef Hinshaw lured guests into the kitchen and cooked them alive. These dishes where served to guests.
Several years later, you enter Hinshaw's Restaraunt... But will you escape the Chef?"
The first half of the maze takes you through the dining rooms and toilets, before there are two different paths. Here, a Cook warns you that one of the paths leads to Chef Hinshaw. One path makes you crawl through an air-vent, whilst the other takes you through a Trommel tunnel. Both paths lead to the kitchen, where Hinshaw chases you into a strobe maze.
This would be a 5 :p) and some of the dead guests would be wearing Hamble masks as an easter-egg.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

To my knowledge, there isn't a path from X Sector to Cloud Cuckoo Land...
Tom

There are definitely service roads that go from X Sector to Cloud Cuckoo Land, the one you see when exiting Oblivion is one of them. I highly doubt that any of these will see use by the general public any time soon though.