Cedar Point

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
RollercoasterGEEK100

I swear Wingriders were made for the near misses... X-flight, The Swarm and Raptor are the only ones that stuck to that. Now theme parks just use them as toys...

Credit to NemesisRider
Vladimir Bobinski

Maybe, but perhaps because the first of the bunch decided they should have close encounter elements, now it's decided something is wrong without them.  I did feel something was lacking from Wild Eagle mind.
mattallennet

If AT's river rapids ever closed, there's a perfect site for a Wing Rider in there! Lots of near miss opportunities there, with inversions at the corners, loops over RMT and some epic tunnel theming ;-)
Vladimir Bobinski

That would be fantastic.  :)
Kirsty25

I saw the POV of this when it was first released and I must say it looks amazing! I love Swarm, but not sure that AT would benefit (looking at the last couple of posts)
Owen

Cedar point are investing in two new flats!

Pipe scream-http://youtu.be/-eyjjSZkMbQ
Lakie Erie Eagles-http://youtu.be/YedmKqw4KeI

Discuss
Danny

Is the first one made by the same peopl who made Kobra at chessy?
TomL

Yep :-) made by Zamperla. Avatar Airbender at Blackpool is also a variation of the ride.
Owen

Kobra still looks heaps better,in my opinion
lewis97
Admin
Admin

RollercoasterGEEK100

As you may well know that the impossible to us has become possible. Mantis is now becoming a B&M floorless. Heres a youtube video from cedar point themselves.
Jack

ponder

Probably a good move. I've only ridden one B&M stand-up, but it was unbelievably uncomfortable. In fact, I'm not sure I'll ever bear children.
sw7nutter

Mantis was fun but the first thing i said when i got off it was it would be better as a sit down. Glad to see they listened.
themealgang

I rode Mantis last year. I did it around three times because he had NO QUEUE (one of the only roller coasters at Cedar Point to do so) all day. It's not hard to see why. The ride was quite possibly the most uncomfortable roller coasters I've ever experienced; even by B&M standards. Hopefully this makeover will create a more enjoyable experience.
Jack

As I can't find a Cedar Point topic, I thought I would post this here:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/enterta ... ls/7372776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pull back the curtain.

The Sandusky Register received a memo Monday that could detail the new Cedar Point coaster going into the Good Time Theater location for the 2016 season.

The document is from Bolliger & Mabillard, based in Switzerland, and appears to detail a new $15 million coaster tagged in the memo as The Dive Coaster.

Bollinger & Mabillard crafted The Dive Coaster style, which simulates being in a Bomber that is diving straight down at break neck speeds.

The ride is a proposal, one of many Cedar Point is working on for the 2016 season, Cedar Point spokesman Bryan Edwards said.

“We are focused on the 2015 season and launching Rougarou as well as our new transformation of Hotel Breakers, Edward said.

The news, if true, has coaster enthusiasts on the edge of their seats.

“The Dive Coaster is one of the most exciting concepts to come along in coaster development in the last 35 years,” said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services Inc.

Watch video of the dive coaster Oblivion in the player below

The fact that Cedar Point and Cedar Fair, the park's operator, are considering another large-scale coaster so soon after B&M built GateKeeper does not surprise Speigel. Considering the success of The Banshee at King's Island, Cedar Fair would want to keep the momentum going. A new coaster adds excitement to the company name and brings guests into the parks, Speigel said.

The proposed Dive Coaster has three 24-passenger trains. Each train has eight people seated in a row, with each person restrained by a shoulder harness.

B&M is designing into the ride, a vertical drop in a tunnel, an Immelmann, a 270-degree roll, a banked curve, a "looping," an Immelmann with a half-roll exit, a second drop, a camel back and a spiral with a total of four inversions, according to the memo.

An Immelmann is a popular inversion on many coasters. A diving loop is an Immelmann traveled in reverse. This diving loop is commonly found on B&M coasters.

The height of the lift in the proposal is about 223 feet above ground level. The length of the track of about 3,625 feet, according to the memo. The proposed Dive Coaster has a maximum speed of about 80 mph with a ride lasting about 195 seconds, including 30 seconds for loading and unloading of passengers. At that rate 1,310 guests per hour could ride the coaster.

“That's a real good one,” Speigel said. “Coaster enthusiasts love dive coasters, particularly with these kinds of elements."

The four inversions are of particular interest to Scott Short, regional spokesman for American Coaster Enthusiasts.

He speculates the park may use land built up around the theater to make it appear as if riders are going underground.

The document indicates the proposed coaster would cost about $15 million.

Park executives announced toward the end of November the old Good Time Theater would be shuttered “for park expansion,” but they declined to elaborate on what might be planned.

It appears the Cadillac Cars and the Turnpike Cars could be moved or removed as well.

“It doesn't surprise me. They have been there forever. Our business lives on repeat visits and repeat visits are driven by new product expansion,” Speigel said.

Dive coasters are big rides that would require a lot of space in the landlocked Cedar Point, Short said.

The Cadillac Cars opened in 1958 as the park's second track ride with cars. The cars were designed to look like a 1910 Cadillac.

The Turnpike Cars opened a year later. Those cars were designed as mini hot rods from the 1950s and 1960s. Both rides were manufactured by Arrow Dynamics, according to the park's website.
If this does in fact turn out to be true, and Cedar Point does end up getting a full-size Dive Coaster, I will personally be following it very, very closely. What also seems intriguing is that this article seems to have a lot of detail on what the ride would be like - Something very unusual for these types of articles that talk about the possibility of a new ride. :)
NemesisRider

I'm intrigued. Dive machines seem to be going through a bit of a popularity boom in my eyes, but we do seem to be lacking the full size, full force trains.

Cedar Point could be making a great ride here, but from the budget I'd guess there's very little theming.
Capt.Barnacles

Cedar Point rarely incorporate masses of theming into their roller coasters. Look at Millennium Force, GateKeeper, even Rougarou, they're all generic roller coasters without significant theming elements. The heaviest theming we've seen at Cedar Point is probably Maverick or Top Thrill Dragster and even then the theming is minimal but effective. I think if they're getting a Dive Machine, then we're still gonna see something good. Cedar Fair as a whole aren't really a company for THEME parks, they're more a amusement park company.
Jack

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Rougarou files video :)
Aidan Lowe

POV even though its the same coaster, from TPR: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known under username Andy Mc