Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
sw7nutter

With all the measurements they were taking the other day the arena must have something happening to it. I would say that a dark ride on that spot is highly likely. That would provided the chance to delay the next coaster until it is after the MTDP. They can then renegotiate the restrictions and open something like a hyper to draw in the crowds that swarm failed to bring.
Dom

sw7nutter wrote:With all the measurements they were taking the other day the arena must have something happening to it.
Isn't that for Fright Nights though?
sw7nutter

I doubt it was for fright nights. I don't see why they would be measuring the hight of the arena walls and finding the exact lengths. Normally the arena is just full of shipping containers which don't require that sort of precision.
NemesisRider

:o They were taking measurements? Dun dun dun
RollercoasterGEEK100

Yes they were but don't get to excited as no plans have been released yet and we don't know what they're planning entirely.
Ryan.B

I'm fed up with single ride areas, the rides get better theming and area feels the same theme but saw and the swarm almost always have large queues. I would much rather have a large area with a coaster flat and dark that's compact than a large area with a gigantic coaster like the swarm hogging it all. The need to traffic people to different rides.
sw7nutter

They need rides with a hight throughput and a good location. I think some sort of 3 train hyper behind nemesis inferno would be best. If it gets 1700pph then it would be a great addition to the park as it would reduce queues and would spread people out around the park as it is at the back.
Ryan.B

Any ride not in it's own area is fine with me. Maybe join a large area behind stealth on an island with a large bridge from the swarm island and amity if possible. Then just build at the back in future. What are they going to do by 2030 when there will be either lots of rides removed or the lake almost gone completely. Not much land left now for big coasters.
sw7nutter

They are no longer allowed to expand into the lake. The lake is now at a point where if any more land is added it will increase the water table too much. The plan is to have a coaster on the island behind stealth and link that up with amity and swarm island.
RCandrew

A hyper behind Nemesis Inferno would just add amazing landscape to the park, like adding a big rollercoaster wall to the perimeter at the back of the park, it would look amazing and compliment stealth amazingly!
RollercoasterGEEK100

If it "IS" a hyper coaster I can see it going along to back of the park but the turnaround or hammerhead won't go any further than X or maybe Colossus...
Morgan

A hyper coaster would be great for the park, but I heard somewhere that TP can't build over 150ft because of the planes? However, saying that, Stealth is 200ft, so...
sw7nutter

Unless it turned around over the rumba rapids and had the station by the fungle safari site.
Thorpe parks ultimate height limit is 500ft. However the current restrictions imposed by the council is 50m (164ft) with a chance of change to that in 2019.
TheBeast

500ft? What r they gonna do with that???

Ive asked a friend to print me off some shots from above to plan what could happen, but I will need until Saturday for that.
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Georgie

So if they can't go big until 2019, who says they can't build something smaller until then? I honestly can't think of much I would like at Thorpe that doesn't require much height other than the indoor launch I mentioned several pages back (which is probably unlikely since X was only just renovated) but who knows what they have up their sleeves? Either way, I just can't see 7 years between 2 big rides.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
sw7nutter

A dark ride would fill the gap and solve the 850m track length limit problem. As that can also be changed in 2019. However it should be noted that just becuase the MTDP ends then and they could potentially change the restrictions doesnt mean the council will allow the changes. Another rapidly aproaching problem for thorpe is space. They pretty much have 3 coaster locations left and then that is it. Thorpe will be doomed to the same fate of chessington in that it cant grow anymore.
RollercoasterGEEK100

I can see the park removing rumba rapids for a coaster though... Just my thoughts, probably wont happen.
sw7nutter

Loggers leap would open up more space. The rumba rapids has rumours of a retheme over the closed season.
Henry

What about getting something like the SBNO Time Machine in the music park?
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
TheBeast

I keep saying this, the 850m restriction shouldnt be a concern to Merlin. All of their major rides are 850m or under (even Colossus, apparently). They dont need a long length to make a good ride. And whats the problem with the 500ft ceiling? Thats over twice the height of Stealth
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!