Creative Ideas For new AT Attractions

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Burniel

Where would you put a ride like this anyway?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Themeparksandy1981

A new dark ride would work in a new area of the park. Reopen up coaster corner area and build a big dark ride here. I went the year after this area closed but what I hear in that area they had 2 coasters and a flat ride so it must be a big area.

As to a Dr Who attraction this is perfect for the long term replacement of Charlie as the lifts could easily be rethemed to look like the inside of the Tardis.
They could reroute the queue so you enter the tradis first. Get rid of the boat section and gut the building and it becomes a walking attraction where you come face to face with cypermen etc. A actor to look like the doctor or like his traveling buddy takes you around.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I'm sorry but I disagree with all of you. I hate the idea of a dark ride based around all ride stories. The backstory and theme is what makes a ride unique. Placing them all in one would be horrible and I'd hate it.
However a dark ride in the Dark Forest would be good like Dinosaur at AK. It could be you enter a graveyard in search of the missing Th13teen girl. However you meet wraiths along the way and there could be parts related to Rita as well.
Or what I would really love is a dinosaur type ride in FV themed to the Nemesis monster. You're on a hunt for an egg but hit trouble along the way. It would be exactly the same story as N:ST, however I know this would never happen :)
Last edited by Danny on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmed

I've always wondered why there don't seem to be many rides in the UK like Dinosaur in Disney AK, or the Tornado themed things at Universal. A large indoor dark ride where riders travel in cars, past any themed animatronics. Not just old fashioned Duel/HH style moving things. But true immersive theming like the Hollywood style effects rides.
It could fit in with a variety of different themes, IP's or generic themes such as disaster/monsters etc.

How about using the whole of coaster corner and theming it as a tour of the undercrofts of the towers. Where strange things happen. Hot and cold effects, near misses, live actors, etc.

Similar to Duel I know but could bring it into the 21st century. Plus, duel could be cleared to give potential space for a new park  entrance.

Thoughts?
Last edited by jmed on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

You don't need an IP to have a good dark ride, but a good IP always helps.

I would like an earthquake style ride and yes a dinosaur ride would be good too.
If anyone has done the great movie ride getting a UK version would be good.  The great BBC ride or something. 
If you go down to the woods today
stealthsmiler

I think AT has enough dark rides,
Charlie
Hex
Duel
Thirteen (sorta)
Sub-Terra.

Although I would like to see Charlie ripped out and replaced.

As its kinda out of the way, I would like to see Ice Age move to charlies spot. This is because the Ice Age theming is kinda taking over CCL and AT need to choose one theme or the other. As I like CCL as a childrens area I wouldn't want to see it leave for Ice Age (although Ice Age would work really well). Instead I think if Ice Age were to move to Charlie, it could become a really good experience and the current theming could be re used. I would start off with the 4D cinema. Guests would then walk around a short path that is heavily themed to look like they are in the Ice Age and would experience snow and blasts of cold air etc they would be walked upstairs where there would be a new drop ride (to replace the frog hopper) thats suitable for the whole family. They would board the drop ride at the top and after being strapped in, the floor would split going to each side (to the left and right of the riders) to look like the ice has split. The guests then fall between the ice and appear in the dinosaur land thats under the ice. The guests then walk through a cave like staircase and appear again in the ice age where there is an ice aged themed play area, with white 'snow' that young children can play with and a seating area for the parents (similar to wobble world). Guests then can leave at their own pace. The cinema and wobble world can then be re-themed back to CCL and the cinema can become a theatre again (bring back snorlix!!!) and wobble world can become a decent attraction for young children. The whole of CCL would then also be re-painted to bring life back into the area.

AT would then have 3 new attractions for children and can then focus again on thrill seekers for the next SW.
Alton13Nemesis

Just build a transit system dark ride, much like Duel, on the sonic spinball site, situated in a new land. sorted.
TheOutpatient

I was thinking that,
In a dark ride (mainly), you could project some rock lyrics onto the wall as the relevant song plays through. I thought this to be quite dramatic and cool :D
mark_h

One of the issues with having a Dr Who themed ride is that it would go out of date quickly if it featured the current Doctor (Duel and Hex opened before Christopher Eccleston became the Doctor, Charlie opened during his reign)

Using multiple Doctors would be one option (adding new ones in to keep pace with the TV show). Themeing rides round BBC personalities of the 1960s-80s is probably not advisable as the Chained Oak (in Hex) may end up being made of Yew.

The easiest option would be a Tardis themed (indoor) coaster with only a small amount of Doctor specific material at the beginning and end.
TheOutpatient

although I don't personally route for a Dr Who themed ride (Unless it has the same creative design team as the current dr. who) I think some aspects of dr who are timeless due to the fact that dr is a time traveler e.g. so certain forces and enemies remain enemies. I think it could be good BUT
the Tussauds were able to make great dark rides despite legal restrictions/endorsements that I feel were atleast as good as dr who at their time of being.
Sr88

I thought a Doctor Who themed ride could be awesome but yeah, it would need much updating regularly and I do believe its marketing potential is just a bit too limited.
TheBeast

I disagree. If the ride is a dark ride, then what is the point of theming it too heavily? People arent gonna see any of the theming whilst inside the.actual carriage anyways. Although I do like Doctor Who, I cant see Alton being able to pull it Off. Imltho, any new dark ride must be either set up in X-Sector or Dark Forest.
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
mark_h

The term "dark ride" is used to refer to indoor rides. They can have as much lighting as is required so are not literally dark.

Duel, Charlie, Hex and Sub-Terror are all dark rides in Alton Towers.
JustWill

Build a DOCTOR WHO RIDE! :mrgreen:

But in all seriousness...
They've already got a BBC partnership haven't they? :yes:
ponder

Alton may already have 4 dark rides, but they are nowhere near the standard of what people are suggesting. Duel, CATCF, even Hex are sideline attractions, mid-carders designed to break up the day and soak up some of the queues from the headline rides.

What is being suggested, and what I'd also love to see, is a genuinely world class dark ride, something that would appeal to families and thrillseekers alike, would bring in crowds and sit amongst the SWs as one of the jewels in Alton Towers' crown.

Using a system similar to that of Spiderman would be an incredible addition to the park.
Alton13Nemesis

Am i the only person that really likes Charlie and the chocolate factory: the ride? I'd hate a doctor who ride, in fact i hate all 3rd party IP on a ride (yes, I'm looking at you cbeebies land)
stealthsmiler

and what about Charlies IP???

I think AT need to come up with something unique to Alton Towers again. Hex is amazing as you won't find it any where else, Alton need to try and re create that.
Altontowersbarlow

stealthsmiler wrote:and what about Charlies IP???

I think AT need to come up with something unique to Alton Towers again. Hex is amazing as you won't find it any where else, Alton need to try and re create that.
I completely agree. I think Hex is the best dark ride at Alton Towers and I also believe it had the best marketing campaign and advert of any attraction at the park. A more expensive/thrilling dark ride with a unique and interesting storyline would benefit the Alton Towers Resort as it expands further.
Alton13Nemesis

Hex is the best dark ride, but lets not forget that nemesis sub terra was brilliant too :)
inFusion

Enclosed top spin with light effects maybe?