Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Henry

I know it would never happen but I'm hoping for an Intamin woodie, no inversions, just a smoother wooden coaster.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
NemesisRider

It probably would not happen, Merlin are allergic to woodies
nemefan08

I'm hoping to see another record broken. Maybe a S&S el loco 130 degrees drop would be good. With their small footprint we could see one anywhere in the park, maybe we could see one with lap bars like green lantern in Australia.

Just an idea
Vladimir Bobinski

NemesisRider wrote:It probably would not happen, Merlin are allergic to woodies
Clarification, Nick Varney is allergic to anything that isn't a "World's First" and has no understanding how that doesn't correlate in building a good ride.
Jack

UK's first inverting woodie, anyone? ;)
nemefan08

Possibly worlds first inverted wooden coaster, or launched one.
Vladimir Bobinski

Although there is a debate over whether they are truly a wooden, or a hybrid. Inverted wooden has been done, one of the more recent additions....Goliath.

Dan

I think he meant Inverted (a la Nemesis) not one with inversions which is what Goliath and Outlaw Run are :)
Vladimir Bobinski

I thought that as well, but I have no idea how or why you would look to achieve that. So I presumed he meant inversions.
NemesisRider

After riding Goliath, I would love to see Merlin get an RMC with inversions. They are quite quiet, decent capacity and great rides.

Plus, Merlin could easily beat the most inversions on a woodie record, though possibly not in AT.
Alton13Nemesis

I'd still like to maybe see an RMC at towers, or a Mack launched
NemesisRider

Still are they possible for SW8? I was just dreaming about the RMC...
Alex

It will be a possibility till they announce the manufacturer of the ride ;)
Count-Vonduel

when did we decide that the next SW is going to be a coaster?
Dan

All SW's so far have been coasters. I can't imagine they'll change that formula any time soon, if ever.
Ninnut85

There is a video on the internet of John Wardley doing a Q&A with people and at one point he talks about planned coasters that never came to be at Alton Towers. He makes specific reference to a coaster he had designed to go in KC. It was a stand up coasting with some kind of vertical drop so there must have been the ability to put a coaster in KC if he had drawn up the plans for it.
Henry

What about an Intamin woodie? They are great rides and give you so much airtime. I think it would fit in better at Thorpe though as Alton can't really get a tall one. Even so, I think it could work for SW8.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
NemJim

Hey there peeps, Long time lurker don't usually post :lol I think Alton should skip the SW tag and build a intamin mega lite as we don't have a thrill seekers sit down coaster without inversions and save the SW for something new and not seen before. We pretty much have one type of each coaster experience (invert,flying,dive,launch,free-fall,multi-loop) I think it would be perfect as they are only about 125ft tall so hardly any digging. They are a solid coaster with plenty of airtime which alton is lacking and would compliment the existing ride lineup. Just my 2 cents! (Still praying for cross valley woodie) :D
Altontowersbarlow

I agree NemJim. I feel Alton Towers would really benefit from an SW which relies on "drops" and airtime to create thrills for the riders. Although inversions are popular with the public I feel this type of roller coaster could utilise a missing aspect of current rides at Alton Towers and use this aspect to its advantage. I hope to see you posting more in the future as you are clearly an intelligent enthusiast.
Jack

I think that nowadays, people don't care much for world firsts, speaking to a lot of people recently, as long as a ride has a decent amount of advertising on how amazing it is, people will go and ride it. This is what Merlin are missing, you can have surveys on what people THINK appeals to them in an advertising sense, but then you get the fact that people just see it as a ride, and will only go if it looks awesome enough…and thinking that, a Mega Lite definitely fits the bill!

welcome to the world of posting here mate, i hope we see you post a lot more as you seem to be very intelligent as far as theme parks are concerned :D