Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
sw7nutter

customer.services@thorpe-park.co.uk
Not sure if thats what you are after but it does go to a person and they will respond within 7 days.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Topic merged with general discussion - it didn't need it's own.
Dom

Oh wow. It could have been Battle Galleons meets Thunder River then lol. It is a real shame they didn't do that. Would have made it quite fun. I 100% agree that this ride needs an awful lot of TLC. Wish i could have rode it in its Thunder River days.
Luce

I'd also like the rapids to receive some TLC as I remember it in its Thunder River days and returning it to something like it used to be at some stage would be welcome.
Henry

I did Summer Nights and it is absolutely amazing, there weren't any queues and I got on 39 rides in the three hours. On Nemesis Inferno, the queue was so short, we were allowed to stay on for as long as we wanted without even getting up. I seriously recommend going if you can.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Georgie

Just came back from my visit to Summer Nights with my sister. Didn't quite get 39 rides (far from it really! ;P) But it was still a blast and SAW and The Swarm in the dark are amazing. I also learned that Colossus is painful and hard to get out of, while Stealth is much more fun than I remember! Also rode on X for the first time since the refurbishment and it's much better now.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Mayfly_

GThing64 wrote:Just came back from my visit to Summer Nights with my sister. Didn't quite get 39 rides (far from it really! ;P) But it was still a blast and SAW and The Swarm in the dark are amazing. I also learned that Colossus is painful and hard to get out of, while Stealth is much more fun than I remember! Also rode on X for the first time since the refurbishment and it's much better now.
Agreed on Colossus, was worst than Saw for me in terms of comfort especially back seats on the last row.
Danny

I'd love for them to do a complete revamp and get the ride looking good as new, but I don't think they would invest in it. I personally wouldn't bother riding it again as in its current state I think they should be ashamed to call it rapids.

Although it would be nice to referb, I'd rather it removed and a new coaster/water coaster in its place. :)
Themeparksandy1981

I can't believe that it is only 10 years old next year and it's the only 1 left. Has it ever gone a season without any major downtime?
sw7nutter

No it hasnt, i cant remember if it was 2006 or 2007 but it didnt have much then. However its never had a season of full operation. They are plagued with problems and will almost certain not last another 5 years.
Chris
Admin
Admin

It's a trerribly designed ride in every aspect.

Thorpe have done really well for keeping it going as long as it has done.
Hari

Baffles wrote:It's a trerribly designed ride in every aspect.
I completely disagree with that. Its a brilliantly designed ride but its very complex. I also found out that they close it halfway through the day for about an hour or so for maintenance. Pretty amazing at how the park are willing to keep it up and running. I went on it and, man what a rush! The G-Forces were fantastic :)
sw7nutter

From an engineers point of view it is a terrible design which does not do the job its intended to do. When it does its great but it has a lot of problems. The structure is put under a lot of strain and needs repairs. The system cant work if its slightly unbalanced due to underpowered motors. The list goes on, its a bad design, however its a good ride.
Altontowersbarlow

Hi Folks

I realise that X has just been refurbished and has also had its concept and theming updated/ changed however I still think it is in a ghastly state and its space could be utilised for a new ride.

X is located in The Lost City although its theme has no relevance to its location and I think it would be beneficial for the attraction to undergo a complete overhaul to develop X into a new Lost City themed dark ride. The idea below is purely a rough written representation of what I would like to see replace X and does not describe technical systems of my idea. My idea would circulate around the Aztec Creation Story and The first Sun - Jaguar Sun (Nahui Ocelotl)

The Sun was the key to the cycles in the Aztec Creation Story. In Aztec beliefs the Sun could only be created by the sacrifice of a god. In Aztec myth The god chosen was Tezcatlipoca. The ride would follow the storyline of the "Temple Of Nuhui" which is harbouring the Sun that is needed to bring light and warmth to The Lost City, hence your adventure through its ruined walls. Although the Aztec Theme does not fit The Lost City theme perfectly I think the ride would add an extra storyline to The Lost City and make use of wasted space currently used by X. The exterior of the ride would include a large ruined temple façade to give a more dynamic and adventurous look to the pyramid shaped building. Other exterior theming could include Aztec carvings, symbols and lush jungle foliage to create a mysterious atmosphere. The centre piece of the Aztec Pyramid/Temple would be a large stone sun placed at the top of the temple; complete with strings of ivy cascading down from its centre.This theming element could glow or shoot mist based effects at frequent intervals . This would allow the new ride to accommodate its own theme although blend with the jungle theming that is incorporated into The Lost City area of Thorpe Park.

The queue would be a major part of the rides theming, however it would keep the format of the existing queue layout. The first corridor you enter while progressing through the queue would have multiple stone arches along its course embedded with red and green pulsing mood lights. The walls either side of the first corridor would be heavily decorated with Aztec style, temple bricks and statues to give the impression that you are inside an ancient temple. The second long corridor (that turns left) would also adopt the Aztec style wall facades but the ceiling would be covered in jungle /canopy theming to give the impression that the jungle is overwhelming and consuming the temple. This area would also be swamped by green lighting. This level of theming would continue through the remaining corridors until guests reach the two tiered queue line. The two tiered queue line room would use 3D projection mapping screens (similar to those used in the Smiler's Queue) and project images of the temple walls swaying and bricks slotting in and out of their places; giving the impression of the temple collapsing. This would hopefully add a further dimension to the queue line experience. The baggage hold area would have a stone façade framing the window in which the staff stand and the whole room would be decorated with stone Sun tiles to continue the Sun theme. The stations ceiling would have oil lamps dangling from draped ivy strands and it would also have jagged ruined walls surrounding the station boundary and ride operative booth.

The rides storyline would be as follows; The Lost City was once riddled with bloodshed and battles as two tribes wished to gain ownership of the jungle settlement due to its protection by the God Colossus, keeping all who lived within it safe. Soon the Tribe of Zodiac were banished into the unforgiving and tangled forest in which many tribesmen perished. Tezcatlipoca was outraged at the out casting of his beloved tribe and he vowed to take revenge upon the Rush Tribe. Tezcatlipoca built a grand and beautiful temple on the outskirts of The Lost City and used his "Nuhui" rituals to summon the Sun deep into the heart of his impenetrable fort, killing the rush tribe and gaining ownership of the city. Now in the 21st Century adventurers are needed to prove the myth of "The Temple of Nuhui" and brave the Treacherous pyramid to release the sun once again.

The ride layout would be a compact Intamin Spinning coaster that would replace the current small roller coaster that resides in the pyramid. The ride would use a large stone Sun theming element that the spinning coaster would helix around multiple times. The Sun theming element would flash strobe lights at riders, spray them with water and emit smoke during the course of the ride. The ride would also include near misses with the colossal face of Tezcatlipoca which would be momentarily illuminated while the ride car passes under it. Many near misses; illuminated theming elements and projections would give the effect of progressing through the ancient temple while being bombarded by Tezcatlipoca's defensive mechanisms.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this concept and I would appreciate it if you gave your opinions.

Thank You
Chris
Admin
Admin

It is a nice concept and idea, but built poorly. From the uncomfortable seats, ugly exposed wiring, to cheap handrails etc - it is not exactly made with quality in mind.

I was in the team for Catapult at Six Flags New England when that opened, which was worse. The prototype had even more problems - stranding people upside down and having lapbars which continually sucked inwards..
Dom

I can't remember exactly what was said about X at Southern Screamer, but i could have sworn the bloke said something along the lines of;

Its in a progressive refurbishment and it is currently either in stage 2 or in its final stage. I can't remember what stage he said. But i see you point. But a pyramid, generally, has a bit of a 'Lost City' vibe to it. Your concept is good, but you also need to remember its TP and themeing isn't really their strongest area.
Altontowersbarlow

Dom wrote:I can't remember exactly what was said about X at Southern Screamer, but i could have sworn the bloke said something along the lines of;

Its in a progressive refurbishment and it is currently either in stage 2 or in its final stage. I can't remember what stage he said. But i see you point. But a pyramid, generally, has a bit of a 'Lost City' vibe to it. Your concept is good, but you also need to remember its TP and themeing isn't really their strongest area.
I agree the ride would need to have a lot of time and effort invested into the creation and instillation of theming elements however I feel Thorpe Park have some excellent themed rides. The Swarm and Saw have exceptional theming but it depends whether Thorpe Park would be willing to theme a large scale Dark Ride.
Dom

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
Dom wrote:I can't remember exactly what was said about X at Southern Screamer, but i could have sworn the bloke said something along the lines of;

I agree the ride would need to have a lot of time and effort invested into the creation and instillation of theming elements however I feel Thorpe Park have some excellent themed rides. The Swarm and Saw have exceptional theming but it depends whether Thorpe Park would be willing to theme a large scale Dark Ride.
There are rumours circulating that a Dark ride is planned, but whether this rumours are true or not have yet to be seen. The themeing on those rides is good, but it could be so much better too. As for X i quite like the themeing on it. The light effects in some places are awesome.
Dom

Reserve and Ride is making a return to Thorpe Park. Between the 22nd - 26th August you can Reserve and Ride the top 5 coasters in the park. They are classing it as another trial period.
sw7nutter

Something has gone wrong with it as it was meant to included a load of flats. So not only does the idea not work it seems like the hardware and software doesnt as well. Thorpe park are just doing it as a gimmick and fooling people into thinking they are not waiting. If this becomes permant i will refuse to go to the park as it is the most stupid system any park has ever tried. If anyone wants to go try it at the park go ahead but i will advise you dont, just stay at home and save your money from going to the cash grabbing idiots at merlin.