The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
definedancing

Dan.N wrote: As for the staff not being as in character as they used to be, it is only speculation but I've heard that it is down to a staff member who has moved from Dark Forest to The Smiler and apparently they have something to do with the recent change, but in what way I'm not sure.
That's interesting. Hmm. I miss them being in character lol, it kind of made the ride for me.
As for your point on the trains being tested, it does make a lot of sense. Perhaps the plan is to figure out the roughness issues before the summer and it gets heaving. Or so you would've thought anyway. :roll:
Martin wrote: I will keep an eye and ear open this weekend and feedback any info
Cheers for that Martin. :)
Jack

Jammydodger wrote:When I was in the queue the other day, I noticed that as the train came in to the station, the top wheels don't actually spin, they just drag along the track when advancing.
can you explain what you mean by this? if you mean what I think you do then that is not right in any way!
Jammydodger wrote:Not only this, but when the train stops at the V-lift, the up-stop wheels don't stop spinning because they're not actually in contact with the track and there's no friction to stop them.
Is this normal?
this is normal for gerstlauer, unlike B&M and I believe Mack(?) the upstops are just their for slow inversions when they will actually touch the track, the reason I bring up B&M and Mack is the fact they have upstops that are constantly touching the track, I believe it's for smoothness :)
Towers jamie

This time last year was the smilers opening day, how fast thats gone!
stealthsmiler

Then why dont all the companies do it, if it makes the ride smoother, most people prefer a smooth ride compared to a rough one. And I hope they are sorting out the roughness, it really ruins a good ride.
Jack

Towers jamie wrote:This time last year was the smilers opening day, how fast thats gone!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SMILER! :P
stealthsmiler wrote:Then why dont all the companies do it, if it makes the ride smoother, most people prefer a smooth ride compared to a rough one. And I hope they are sorting out the roughness, it really ruins a good ride.
Because Gerstlauer, Vekoma and that are all about saving money, even if it alters the ride experience (I'm looking at you, Vekoma)
DeadJack5

I can't believe I haven't rode the Smilier yet. How often are the breakdowns per day as I've heard that it breaks down a fair bit :(
Dan

Deadjack5 wrote:I can't believe I haven't rode the Smilier yet. How often are the breakdowns per day as I've heard that it breaks down a fair bit :(
It has been much better for reliability this year. In terms of breakdowns it is no longer in the state where they have to evacuate the queueline every other day but it does still have a fair few temporary glitches.
RubyGaga

Smiler pizza?
Danny

The Smiler pizza has been available in shops like Tesco for some months now :)
sully1311

RubyGaga wrote:

Smiler pizza?
Wow they've been doing these pizzas since like last year!! Catch up!
chickyjd

We visited this weekend and got on The Smiler 4 times, also being in the 1st sixteen to ride it on The Smilers Birthday :) The first 3 times were pretty smooth, but the last time we were seated on the left back row and were thrown around like rag dolls... did smart a bit!

But does not put us off... back in October! :)
Towers jamie

I wonder if they have still 'ran out' of smoke as you begin the dark section
Hitch

I would imagine that if the bottom wheels of The Smiler were constantly in contact with the track they would wear away much more quickly and this would involve Merlin spending money, which they don't like to do.
Sentri558

chickyjd wrote: we were seated on the left back row and were thrown around like rag dolls... did smart a bit!
)
How bumpy was it? Going on in 33 days :D
chickyjd

Pretty bumpy! lol Have a lovely bruise on my right shoulder, and had a good knock to the head (Actually yelled at the time - Owww... and something else ;) !!) It was only on the 4th ride it was like that, did not take notice of any of the cart numbers, all the others were smooth though. Love it! :)
DeadJack5

Going on it in 2 weeks for the first time. I generally can't wait :)
DontKnow

chickyjd wrote:We visited this weekend and got on The Smiler 4 times, also being in the 1st sixteen to ride it on The Smilers Birthday :) The first 3 times were pretty smooth, but the last time we were seated on the left back row and were thrown around like rag dolls... did smart a bit!

Back left is my favourite seat!
Chaz

Jammydodger wrote:When I was in the queue the other day, I noticed that as the train came in to the station, the top wheels don't actually spin, they just drag along the track when advancing. Not only this, but when the train stops at the V-lift, the up-stop wheels don't stop spinning because they're not actually in contact with the track and there's no friction to stop them.
Is this normal?
Yep. Not all the wheels normal touch the track at a given point (would cause too much friction). On every coaster each wheel touches the actual track at different points during the ride.

Nothing to be concerned about :).
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Themeparksandy1981

chickyjd wrote:We visited this weekend and got on The Smiler 4 times, also being in the 1st sixteen to ride it on The Smilers Birthday :) The first 3 times were pretty smooth, but the last time we were seated on the left back row and were thrown around like rag dolls... did smart a bit!

If you went on it 4 times in a day what the average queue time the Smiler got this season? Has the park been busy?
Sentri558

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
If you went on it 4 times in a day what the average queue time the Smiler got this season? Has the park been busy?
Would also like to know, I've been looking at the AT app and it goes from around 60-180 minutes across the day, depending on the day of the week