The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
rickter1979

hey, not that i want to sell it, i just picked up the missile sign from a car boot in matlock. the guy bought it from the auction in 2007. i will post a pic if interested. wondered where i could get a copy of the auction brochre if any ideas

cheers
silvercity

Thats awesome, yeah would love you to send me a puc, ive got one of the log flume cars which i love, makes a great garden feature, i can help you out with the brochure too, have some pics from the actual auction day. Send me a PM and we can discuss further.
Cheers for the reply
gazzrtt

Hi
Had to sign up to the site just to get involved in this conversation. I was a an annual visitor to the park in the early 90's but somehow it slipped off the radar and I don't recall visiting after circa 95/6. I stumbled across the old site last year and have been fascinated ever since. After several visits to the car park and surrounding area last year I braved entering the site itself-so many fence repairs it was easy to find a way in. Despite being nervous as hell i spent a good hour wandering around desperate to remember where each of my favourite rides once stood. Considering the planning stages it won't surprise you there's nothing left but for a few concrete foundations here and there. I can post some pics but they don't have the same draw as those taken 2006-8. This visit was back in Sept so only last weekend I decided to go back as I've been struggling to find any development news...as you people in the know are aware nothings happened yet, only things to have changed since Sept is an increased amount of litter, this being the only evidence people are frequenting the site daily (dog walkers I assume).

Although developments needed I can't help but think housing and the normal shopping centre etc isn't right. Personally I'd leave as it tidying and clearing the remains....nothing wrong with a large nature reserve
Gax

gazzrtt wrote: Hi
Had to sign up to the site just to get involved in this conversation. I was a an annual visitor to the park in the early 90's but somehow it slipped off the radar and I don't recall visiting after circa 95/6. I stumbled across the old site last year and have been fascinated ever since. After several visits to the car park and surrounding area last year I braved entering the site itself-so many fence repairs it was easy to find a way in. Despite being nervous as hell i spent a good hour wandering around desperate to remember where each of my favourite rides once stood. Considering the planning stages it won't surprise you there's nothing left but for a few concrete foundations here and there. I can post some pics but they don't have the same draw as those taken 2006-8. This visit was back in Sept so only last weekend I decided to go back as I've been struggling to find any development news...as you people in the know are aware nothings happened yet, only things to have changed since Sept is an increased amount of litter, this being the only evidence people are frequenting the site daily (dog walkers I assume).

Although developments needed I can't help but think housing and the normal shopping centre etc isn't right. Personally I'd leave as it tidying and clearing the remains....nothing wrong with a large nature reserve
Would love to see the pictures!
C0RR3CTED1

Ah american adventure, only went the once when I was little, my fave was the buffalo ride! and how could I forget the TERRIBLE log flume niagara falls, didn't feel safe in that thing!
Dara

darrenhosker wrote:
On another note, does anyone know what this would have been at the park. I don't recall any water slide type attraction.

19/Feb/1997  American Adventure World Pit Lane Shipley Heanor Derbyshire 
3 slide water slide for amusement of paying guests  .
I do seem to remember this. 1997 was the year that the park got sold from Granada to the new company who operated the park until its closure. So it could have been a Granada application which got dropped by the new owners or something which they'd planned to do but never happened. All it would have been is something like Falls of Terror from Lightwater Valley, not interesting at all, although it would have probably been popular.
Themeparksandy1981

Well they hope to start building on the site by the end of the year and they reckon it's gonna take 10 years to fully complete.
http://kevinparkinson.weebly.com/shiple ... nture.html
http://www.gem106.co.uk/news/local/plan ... ture-site/
Dara

Stumbled across this on youtube

I was not aware it had operated anywhere other than Nottingham Goose Fair, for just the one year after AA closed its doors. Is there any way of tracking its movements, as this video has taken me by surprise, and I would really like to have the chance to ride it again? Do Mellors fairs only operate in the Midlands, or are they are UK wide thing? I live down south and WISH we could see that Runaway Train at Heide Park Winter Wonderland this Christmas, pretty much guarantee that wont happen though  :(
Last edited by Dara on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benji

This park was only a 15 minute walk away from me, seriously such a shame that all these smaller parks in the UK have been struggling so much. You just have to look at the recent closure of Camelot to release it is mainly the big parks that are in the game any more! :(
Just keeping my fingers crossed that someone will buy this back and turn it in to the theme park it once was and one that was enjoyed by so many people
Last edited by Benji on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
spark

Blast from the past and NOT an April fool, I stumbled across this website

www.shipleylakeside.co.uk

Looks like they are still slowly pushing the housing through given its got its own website now
WillPS

Pictures of Nightmare Niagara. Happier times. Too sad.
kemperink

Dara wrote:Stumbled across this on youtube

I was not aware it had operated anywhere other than Nottingham Goose Fair, for just the one year after AA closed its doors. Is there any way of tracking its movements, as this video has taken me by surprise, and I would really like to have the chance to ride it again? Do Mellors fairs only operate in the Midlands, or are they are UK wide thing? I live down south and WISH we could see that Runaway Train at Heide Park Winter Wonderland this Christmas, pretty much guarantee that wont happen though  :(
the coaster has been in dubai all winter
DeanGaryCox

Dara wrote:Stumbled across this on youtube

Funderworld also visits bristol to which the mine train made an appearance last year, and will most likely when funderworld returns end of may for the half term week.
Dan

I have some great memories of The American Adventure. I think I have somewhere a VHS tape of a trip there with the family in the early 90's.

I remember going on The Missile and Nightmare Niagara for the first time and loving them, in some ways The American Adventure is one of the reasons I'm an enthusiast now as it was the first theme park I visited without my parents.

Thankfully I never visited in its later years, as I think it would have somewhat tainted the good memories I have.
spark

Anyone able to get to Funderworld to confirm an appearance?
Locksley

Apologies for mega-rezzing an old thread but I've spent the last few days reading through and thought it rude not to make a post lol.

I've seen quite a few pictures of the AA site over on Derelict Places, I was absolutely gobsmacked to see it on there as I didn't even realise it had closed until a year or so after. I remember going a few times but for the life of me I can't remember what year. I want to say it was around '03/'05 as I remember going on Nightmare Niagara when that was still in place and absolutely cacking my pants, but I still have very fond memories of the place.

I'm fairly certain I've got some photos of my visit somewhere so will have to dig those out. I also still have that awesome medal you used to get for panning for gold somewhere buried in the loft.

Does anyone know what the site is like now? I keep meaning to visit but being in Sheffield it's a bout an hours trip over there. Are there any updates on the future of the site?

Cheers
AAWriter

Hi all. I'm thinking of writing a short book based on the history of this park and would really appreciate your help.
I visited regularly when it was open and worked there for two seasons so have already got tonnes of information to work with. However, I am sure there a gaps in my knowledge that some of you guys could help fill for me. Any help received would be fully credited in the book and greatly appreciated.
I'm particularly interested in the Granada years and the plans to expand which never were. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
spark

More news on what is likely to happen to the old site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de ... e-33518806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Themeparksandy1981

It's been a while since there was a post for the American Adventure but I came across a petition to reopen the American adventure even if it means at another site. https://www.change.org/p/derbyshire-cou ... theme-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like its 10 years this year since the park last opened to the public.
spark

Yea it turns out he is a bit of a dreamer.

They have cleared the site of all the overgrown trees and bushes. I expect them to move in diggers etc soon