Submission to be removed

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Thorpe Towers 13

Is submission being totally removed from Alton Towers or moved to a new area of the park? If being totally removed where is it going to or no idea atm?
Dan

Thorpe Towers 13 wrote:Is submission being totally removed from Alton Towers or moved to a new area of the park? If being totally removed where is it going to or no idea atm?
It's being taken to the scrapheap :)
Dr.Kelham

Dan.N wrote:
Thorpe Towers 13 wrote:Is submission being totally removed from Alton Towers or moved to a new area of the park? If being totally removed where is it going to or no idea atm?
It's being taken to the scrapheap :)
Don't you mean theme park grave yard :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)
newrider

It's also not been removed from the list of FastTrack gold and platinum rides... Sloppy!
Thorpe Towers 13

Cant blame them to be honest! It was definatley looking daft with one arm working and not to leave out the fact it was rather uncomfortable for us blokes
Car Check UK

Wow, not been on here since the end of last season and not only do I find a new look forum but also submission gone. Can't say I will miss it but think the timing could be better. It was a decent filler for the area especially on long queue days. Personally I think they would of been better removing the ride when they had something ready to put in its place. Looking at the arial pics the site is too small for anything decent unless they plan to get rid of enterprise at the end of the season?

Aaahhhh just had a thought. Maybe they were clearing the space to make space for the smiler crane. :lol
Zach

They are still in possession of Submission it's in storage at current well main parts of the ride and some parts I assume are buried under the earth :( but signage is still up but the submission plot of land wont remain empty!
Benb

Anyone got any photos of what the submission space looks like currently?... Is it just brownfields or has it been turfed over?
DeanGaryCox

Benb wrote:Anyone got any photos of what the submission space looks like currently?... Is it just brownfields or has it been turfed over?
don't have a picture... but it has been 'turfed over' so doesn't look too bad :nervious:
tallicay2k

DeanGaryCox wrote:
Benb wrote:Anyone got any photos of what the submission space looks like currently?... Is it just brownfields or has it been turfed over?
don't have a picture... but it has been 'turfed over' so doesn't look too bad :nervious:
I sense a tree being planted in its place :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
awsomelycoolboy

Can anyone going take some more Photos of where Submission is, I would really like to see it.
MRWTHO-AT

Hello, I'm Martin a huge fan of Alton Towers and Towers Times and I've just joined the forum.

Re: Submission, I'm not surprised it's been removed and I am both glad and sad that it has gone.
Glad because it was a terrible ride latterly (i.e. post 2003/4) due to it being uncomfortable, unpopular and operated badly (1 arm on a poor sequence).
Sad because I think Alton Towers could've and should've made it more comfortable and more intense, thereby increasing its popularity.

What I would've done is replaced the restraints with a more comfortable alternative, similar to the Ripsaw restraints, where there is a relatively softer padding. Then I would've changed the sequence to make both arms operate, at a slightly faster speed and then have 5 360s (3 on very busy days). Then when both arms stop at the top, each of the two arms do a solitary 360, while the other arms hangs in mid air. I think that would have done the trick with popularity.

The last time I went on it was 2005 and after that me and my friends never went on it because it was uncomfortable- especially the front arm (which was used more often than not).
Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing and had Alton Towers known of the problems with Submission beforehand, I think they would've bought a single inverter for UG Land and left Energizer in X Sector, with its popular intense sequence.

I read on the Towers Times news page that the area had just been grassed over and everything has been taken away. It only goes to show how a 30 year old spinning wheel (albeit refurbished) can outlive a 13 years old Chance double inverter. In terms of its replacement I say bring back Energizer (or The Rack from Camelot) or a Pandemonium type ride (i.e. a sister to the Drayton Manor one) or both because I'm sure you could fit both of them around Oblivion, Smiler and Enterprise.
Martin
Vincent's Valentine

I visited yesterday for the first time this year and have to be honest, I didn't even notice it was gone! Despite being in the Smiler queue for 2 hours and nearly going mad from the music . . .

I only ever went on it once but didn't enjoy it. It was slow and rather uncomfortable. Not the ride for me so I won't miss it but am interested to know what comes next :-)
Themeparksandy1981

To be honest it wouldn't surprise if the area was turned into a picnic area. Just look at the Flats which have left the park in the past 10 years. Submission,Boneshaker,Astrodancer with Ripsaw&the Blade planned to join them. If Merlin can't even add any new rides to CCL&CBeebies and add any in the Dark Forest or Adventure land I can also see the same happening in X sector.
MRWTHO-AT

Is that true, that the Blade and Ripsaw will be going?
I do agree with you on your last point. Alton Towers have always prided themselves on their roller coasters (both past and present), with the flat rides there just for support. It's not like Thorpe Park where the flat rides are on a equal par with the coasters. I would've said Blackpool Pleasure Beach as well, but in recent years they have got rid of a few flats including Spin Doctor and Bling.

Another good replacement would be a Kamikaze ride, they're often seen at amusement arcades and I think there is one at Flamingo Land called Sky Flyer.
Martin
awsomelycoolboy

Submission was a bit like a kamikaze ride in a way. But the bottom part where you sat on spun around
stealthsmiler

Going to AT next Monday or Wednesday. it will be so weird not seeing Submission .
memgrubb

I never went on Submission because I wasn't that bothered about it.

It won't be missed by me I'm afraid.
“Work is most fulfilling when you're at the comfortable, exciting edge of not quite knowing what you are doing.”

Twitter - @memgrubb
MRWTHO-AT

Just seen a video of Alton Towers in 2014 and they have just filled the space with turf. I must say to does look rather nice and a good spot for a picnic area, or more realistically a place to recover after being spun, plummeted and corrected! It says to me that AT have no forthcoming plans to replace Submission for the foreseeable future and I can understand why: Smiler is of course the newbie attraction; Oblivion is a popular coaster and Enterprise is able support both of them.

From what I've seen elsewhere, AT's focus seems to have shifted to the Flume-Gloomy Wood area, where an SW8 or new ride will be placed. Slightly off topic, is The Beastie area closed off or has that become a green space as well?
Martin
awsomelycoolboy

Woah, guys look what I have seen!

youtube.com/watch?v=ZM_v4CUijmQ

Look agh the end when the family is walking towards the towers, then look at the far right. Submission is there, D: oh no! They haven't updated the advert! It's the end of the world noooooo!!