When do you think rides will go?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Which will go first?

Air
64%
Nemesis
36%

Total votes: 66
Rollermad

Ilovecoasters wrote: Just wanted to update my original predictions:

Sonic Spinball - 2016
The SEGA contract will run out at the end of 2016, and Merlin will get rid.

Runway Mine Train - 2018
Will hopefully go in a few years time to make way for SW 9 or 10 ;)

The Smiler - 2020 2020-2030
Quite simply, the smiler will crumble before it's taken down. At some point in 2020, after 7 years of operating, it will completely break. A death trap waiting to happen. UNLESS THEY FIX IT

Air - 2025
A great coaster, but will disappear soon after it's 20th, deemed not to fit the Forbidden Valley and that it has now become too rough

Rita - 2030 2020-2030
Rita will stay for a while, but will need to be upgraded due to the simplicity of it.

TH13TEEN - 2035
It's hard to say, but I think it will stay until we have some other freefall drop coasters that outdo it. But, as it's just approaching it's 4th birthday, it is not time to say goodbye yet.

Oblivion - 2040
Oblivion will be allowed a 40th anniversary before it is decided that a dive machine this basic needs to be upgraded.

Nemesis - 2050
The beast should comfortably see her 50th birthday, before they will have to do something with her. Yes, we will riot, but all good things come to an end.
No chance on Nemesis lasting that long. That's how long we want it to last :)

Sonic: 2016
RMT: 2020-2025
Rita: 2025-2030
Smiler if it doesn't rot: 2030-2035
Oblivion: 2035-2040
Air, plagued with difficulties: 2040-2045
Nemesis, dead after 50 years: 2045
BenBowser

What's to stop the park from maintaining all the coasters? As long as they are popular and aren't damaged beyond repair, then there is no reason to remove great rides. Look at the Matterhorn Bobbles at Disneyland, opened in the 50's. Its older than most people on this forum and its still going strong and in good condition. Granted Disney have more money than Merlin.

All in all, I think the only coasters on the cards for leaving any time soon, are Rita and Spinball.
scw55

You could replace track sections.

Or when a section needs to be replaced, change it slightly. Perhaps add another air-time hill or an inversion.
stealthsmiler

People are talking about Merlins low budgetbut by the time the smiler is needing expensive repair, AT could be under new mangement with a bigger budget.

I think the biggest factor will be paramout park, it doesn't (yet) have any restrictions so will be able to go bigger and better than AT:

Spinball (sadly)  -  2016 - Filler ride, will be dwarfed and loose popularity, prob get transfer to smaller park
RMT - 2018-2020 - Age, loosing popularity
Air -  2020 - will begin to loose popularity, PP could get a better version.
Nemesis - 2020-25 - will be too rough and will be uncomfortable (will end similar to corky, loved but too rough to continue)
Rita - 2020-25 - tech problems and too basic.
Smiler - 2027 - massive problems, AT will try to do their best to keep it running but it will be too hard to maintain, prob spend last two years shut 80% of the time
Oblivion 2025-2030  - Loved but will get boring, may spend last two years doing two circuits per ride rather than one

The main issue will be bigger, better, newer and more comfortable rides. The SWs will deffo be missed the most as they were world first, crowd faves. But im sure all the SWs have another good 10 years before they begin to disappear 1 by 1. Plus by that time some will prob relocate to other parks as cheap rides. ( like Blivy and Nemmi)
Last edited by stealthsmiler on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenBowser

stealthsmiler wrote: Nemesis - 2020-25 - will be too rough and will be uncomfortable (will end similar to corky, loved but too rough to continue)
Whoa, stop the bus! B&Ms are never, ever rough. I believe in an interview, John Wardley said that our grand kids will be able to ride nemesis. So it's not going anywhere!

I truly think that Nemesis, RMT, Air, Oblivion and Thirteen are going to be around for at lease another forty years. They are all in good condition (as are their manufactures), they are all very popular. All except mine train are/were unique. They all have low down time, they all are easy to maintain and they all have high capacity. The Runaway Mine Train also has a wide universal appeal, even though its old, it will live on.

Just because corky left, doesn't mean these coaster will. The problem with the Corkscrew was that t wasn't unique, it had the generic layout of a corkscrew coaster, however all of the above listed coasters look visually impressive (something the Corkscrew also failed to to), and all have a gimmick, other that the Runaway Mine Train which is just a universal coaster.
Danny

BenBowser wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote: Nemesis - 2020-25 - will be too rough and will be uncomfortable (will end similar to corky, loved but too rough to continue)
Whoa, stop the bus! B&Ms are never, ever rough. I believe in an interview, John Wardley said that our grand kids will be able to ride nemesis. So it's not going anywhere!

I truly think that Nemesis, RMT, Air, Oblivion and Thirteen are going to be around for at lease another forty years. They are all in good condition (as are their manufactures), they are all very popular. All except mine train are/were unique. They all have low down time, they all are easy to maintain and they all have high capacity. The Runaway Mine Train also has a wide universal appeal, even though its old, it will live on.

Just because corky left, doesn't mean these coaster will. The problem with the Corkscrew was that t wasn't unique, it had the generic layout of a corkscrew coaster, however all of the above listed coasters look visually impressive (something the Corkscrew also failed to to), and all have a gimmick, other that the Runaway Mine Train which is just a universal coaster.
If you've ever been on Kumba at Busch Gardens, you'd know that not ALL B&M's are smooth. One of my roughest rides I've been on.
stealthsmiler

BenBowser wrote:
Last time I went on Nemmy, it was a bit head bangy, so it will only get worse.
Jack

stealthsmiler wrote:
BenBowser wrote:
Last time I went on Nemmy, it was a bit head bangy, so it will only get worse.
it is a bit rough, but it is an EARLY B&M, before smoothness became priority :) and yes, JW did say that our grandkids would be able to ride it :)
tallicay2k

rhino18 wrote: ^There are more people in the world than TTF members. Yes, I realise enthusiasts prefer Nemesis, I prefer Nemesis, but Air has - by far- the longest queues in the park. 80/90 mins is around average for a peak day, compared to maybe a 40 minute one for Nemesis. Yes, Air does have rather slow throughput, but it is also immensely popular, so back to my previous argument, you tell me why they would remove it. If you want to truly go and find out which is more popular, go to parliament and ask them to hold a national poll.....
I agree with you in a way. 9 times out of 10 air has had longer queues than nemesis. Don't get me wrong I prefer nemesis as it's one hell of a fast ride, but majority of the time it's a walk on ride.
(Hit me if you will) I think it's losing popularity with the general public due to obviously the smiler and the arrival of ceebbbeebeeb land. As we all know it's nemesiss 20th birthday this year so hopefully they will give her TLC.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Burniel

tallicay2k wrote: I agree with you in a way. 9 times out of 10 air has had longer queues than nemesis.
May I ask what's wrong with a short queue? :lol:
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Jack

tallicay2k wrote:
rhino18 wrote: ^There are more people in the world than TTF members. Yes, I realise enthusiasts prefer Nemesis, I prefer Nemesis, but Air has - by far- the longest queues in the park. 80/90 mins is around average for a peak day, compared to maybe a 40 minute one for Nemesis. Yes, Air does have rather slow throughput, but it is also immensely popular, so back to my previous argument, you tell me why they would remove it. If you want to truly go and find out which is more popular, go to parliament and ask them to hold a national poll.....
I agree with you in a way. 9 times out of 10 air has had longer queues than nemesis. Don't get me wrong I prefer nemesis as it's one hell of a fast ride, but majority of the time it's a walk on ride.
(Hit me if you will) I think it's losing popularity with the general public due to obviously the smiler and the arrival of ceebbbeebeeb land. As we all know it's nemesiss 20th birthday this year so hopefully they will give her TLC.
Some of the short queues may be down to throughput, if you look at Rita and The Smiler, they have similar throughput (around 850 riders per hour) and then look at Nemesis and Oblivion, they always have short queues (throughput of around 1400 for Nemesis and 1800 for Oblivion)

So I don't think popularity is decreasing for older rides, other than newer rides having throughput issues where the older rides have higher throughput :)
Last edited by Jack on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion guy

Smiler
I think everyone thinks The Smiler is a death trap. It's not! 2045 at the latest.

nemesis
The beast still has years to go. I give it until 2040.

Oblivion
About 2035 because it still is thrilling but will get neglected now the Smiler is next door.

Air
I think Air won't stay as long as the others because other flying coasters will beat this awesome ride. Look at Manta and other great Flyers in the US.
Rollermad

I think Air won't stay as long as the others because other flying coasters will beat this awesome ride. Look at Manta and other great Flyers in the US.

Because everyone goes to the USA to ride a similar ride to air..... It's unique for the UK ;)
Burniel

Rollermad wrote:I think Air won't stay as long as the others because other flying coasters will beat this awesome ride. Look at It's unique for the UK ;)
Isn't that why it's popular?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
MRWTHO-AT

I notice on this thread NOBODY has talked about the future of the dwindling flat rides. I am positive The Blade will either go or be relocated, before Rita goes. The same will happen to Ripsaw, if it isn't given a major refurbishment and repaint over the next few years (It'll be 20 in 2017).
Enterprise has of course been given a life extending refit and will be in the park for until at least 2025. The Twirling Toadstool will also continue until then as well; there are many Wave Swingers operating to a ripe old age. There is of course Mauderers' Mayhem and Heave Ho too.

I like the vast majority of the rides in the park, especially the Rollercoasters and what is great is, they all have their own unique quality about them and it would be a shame to see any of the go.
I don't have a problem with Spinball and Rita as they are good coasters, I think they both added something to the park and they filled the void between the SW developments.
If they had to move from their current locations, I'd rather see them rebuilt at Coaster Corner than have them sold on.

I think Rita will stay for a while, acting as an escape route from the encroaching Dark Forest. I think the Flume will either go or have something really radical done to it. Spinball will move after 2016, but I don't think they'll get rid of it- it's 10 years old it's hardly on it's last legs!! It is also very popular with all ages. No the Blade will go first and either be replace by a Gyro-swing, or it'll leave with Ripsaw in 2018-20 and a new rollercoaster will be built- perhaps the cross valley one.
Martin
stealthsmiler

They can't get rid of Ripsaw, Its my favourite flat at AT. But it is unfortunately planned to be removed in the LTDP. Why remove it if it's still working and popular. Retheme and move Blade to Mutiny Bay and get a mini S&S Screamin Swing. Keep Ripsaw where it is or retheme and move it to Dark Forest. Enterprise would still work where it is, but I think it would look better painted black. If I had to choose one, it would be The Carousel as theres the one in CeBeebies Land.
Sr88

Sonic Spinball:
2016 if they do remove it then, otherwise probably around 2025, due to being worn out and expensive maintenance.

Oblivion:
Not long after 2020, due to decreasing popularity. Will end up being replaced with a floorless (which will use the hole and tunnel, as well as being bigger. This one is more a wish than a genuinely realistic prediction.

The Smiler:
Around 2040. The issues will be sorted and it will go down in the history books as a classic!

Rita:
Around 2030, when it continues to fail. Hopefully replaced by an even bigger launch coaster (Formula Rossa sort ;) )

TH13TEEN:
Around the same 2030 with Rita. They may well end up being replaced together.

Air:
Around 2025. Will get worn out and will decrease in popularity.

Nemesis:
Around 2030, due to being completely worn out.

Runaway Mine Train:
Around 2025, due to age / wear.

Flume:
Sadly sometime very soon, due to something better being available :(

Rapids:
Will last for a very long time.

Enterprise:

The Blade:

Ripsaw:
2019 :( (Too soon)

Skyride:
Will completely break and then Doppelmayr will come in and build a much better one. (2020?)

Note: none of these are really that serious. Obviously only time will tell.