Project 42 (Nemesis Sub-Terra)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
stealthsmiler

SuperWill wrote: I think Sub-Terra is good but today (23/02) in the mini scare maze, I think there was only one actor who didn't jump out at me and then it became more of a walkthrough. But when I was in the mini scare maze last Saturday, there were like 3 or 4 actors who tried to jump out at me. I can see the mini scare maze turning in to a walkthrough if I'm honest. But what was the mini scare maze like when it was like new? Because at the time, I was too scared to do Sub-Terra (Before the end became a mini scare maze, I did Sub-Terra).
I went through shortly after adding the scare maze and it did scare me! there were several actors but when I went on this week, there was only one. The first time I went on (before the maze) I walked out, the second time (when the maze was just added) I ran out  and the third time (last Friday) I walked out.
Kirsty25

When I did N:ST just after the maze was added there were 4/5 scare actors in the maze who actually made me jump, last season it was down to one guy, then scarefest it went back up to 3 I think
SuperWill

That sounds cool! I wish I did the mini scare maze at the end when it was new.

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
LCFCjames

I did Sub-Terra twice on Friday and I'm pretty sure that both times there were at least 3 actors in the maze. There was plenty of screaming going on anyway (from the ladies and the men ;))! I really hope they maintain a high number of staff throughout the attraction because they really boost the experience. Especially in the queue line/pre-show area, the actors really make you feel like you are part of a military operation! If it stays like this, then I think the attraction will continue to be a hit  8)
bensaund

They need to maintain the actors as the whole thing about N:ST is it is an experience not a ride, so you take away the actors, you remove some of the experience.
If you go down to the woods today
MRWTHO-AT

I am glad that this thread has been put up, as I enjoyed reading all the various comments about Nemesis: Sub Terra, as well as the various ways it could be improved (e.g. varied ride sequences, integrating it more with Nemesis in a baby-parent bond way, so Sub Terra is the precursor to the great rollercoaster).

Personally, my biggest problem with Sub-Terra is the Nemesis branding, because I think it would've been better it if Sub-Terra was a ride in its own right, rather than a spin off of an AT classic. The branding has to some extent put me off riding it, because Nemesis is my favourite ride in the park and I personally don't want to risk it being tarnished by a relatively poor spin off. That's just my opinion and I know many others won't share it, which I fully respect.

I totally agree that a new ride needed to be placed there. My best friend says it should've been Dynamo, completely revamped mechanically so it doesn't breakdown (to this day he mourns its departure). I would've like to seen a dark spinning drop ride where there is a central point with three arms, which spins. Then attached to the three arms are three or four smaller arms which carry the gondola, which also spin. But as well as that, every so often the mini-arms drop the gondola while spinning and the gondolas drop at different times from the others. Because the ride is in the dark, the riders don't know where they are going, but feel they are moving in three or four directions at once. This ride would be called Sub-Terra, as it would reside in a man made hill and it would pay tribute to Dynamo and Black Hole, as well as ride idea of Nemesis: Sub-Terra. I would've certainly gone on it, even though I know it would make me feel sick!

I would then tweak the Forbidden Valley theme, by making it an area themed around the elements. The backstory could be something like how this group of people (maybe the phlanax) went mad and obsessed about experiments on the classic elements and more. I would then refurbish the rides, especially the flats and designate the following: The Blade- Fire (complete with burning fire braziers), Ripsaw- Water (complete with new water cannons attached to the side of new spinning saw discs), Nemesis- Earth (I'd keep its own theme) and Air. Sub-Terra would be themed around the Darkness. Each of the rides would have speed in common.
If I had the money, I would then move The Blade to the side (perhaps closer to Ripsaw) and then bring back the Thunder Looper (albeit quieter and lower in the ground) and theme it around the culminating "Final Experiment!" Then you would have SIX decent rides in one area.
That's what I would do to Forbidden Valley.

Anyway, I do respect the ideas behind N:ST and the theming and I understand why people like it and go back on. From what I've seen, read and heard, there are elements of it that are good- such as the ride itself. But as I say, I think it would've been better had Alton Towers built a dark flat ride, with its own theme but still blended in with the theme of Forbidden Valley. This way it would have avoided the publicity hike which increased the let down factor for many riders (because of the links with Nemesis).

Aside from the links with Nemesis, there are other reasons why I have no desire to go on it. Personally I am not a fan of things jumping out at me, there's nothing that's persuading me to go on it (unlike The Smiler or Thirteen) and I have no desire in being shouted at or pushed violently by thugs with guns lol! I'd just shout back "I'm going nowhere near the contamination area! However I will go to the 1994 site and nothing you can do will stop me!!!" I would avoid Phlanax like the plague, because they don't look like the sort of people you can trust. Perhaps that's the irony, they are your nemesis. I would certainly love to see the that organisation meet its retribution for all the things it has done (btw Nemesis is the Goddess of Retribution in mythology).

So in my opinion, Nemesis: Sub Terra will continue to operate for another few years and then if there is a poor throughput, then it'll either be rethemed to just Sub Terra, or new name or at the very worst removed completely. Eitherway, I won't be going on it for the reasons mentioned above, but I won't stop others from doing so.
Sorry for the long post, but I felt I had to air my views in as balanced a way as possible.
Martin
TowersManiac0110

The ABC drop towers are really uncomfortable, and I absolutely hate the restraints. They just hover 3-4 inches from your legs and really do nothing for you but push you back into your seats on the drop. I'd hope that once they have the money, they could close it down, take out the current drop towers and replace them with Intamin drop towers (on a larger scale than the usual intamin towers in the same formation as the ABC towers). Perhaps even include multiple drops or a more intense scare maze/evacuation elevator scene as well.
definedancing

I think it's interesting how N:S-T pulls the shortest queue usually of all of the attractions in the park. Whilst I enjoy it, it only really has reply value if you're with a friend who hasn't done it before (for the reactions lol), or if you happen to be a huge fan of scare mazes and/or the Nemesis backstory. I'd be interested to see how long it continues to be an all-year-round attraction and wouldn't be surprised if it has the same fate as the SAW: Alive and became October-only at some point.
lucozade

I loved it, I thought it was a bit of an 'Alien' rip though. A girl a few people ahead of me screamed and I was like what's her problem before a man jumped out and growled at me in a mask... I shouted a swear pretty loud which I wish I didn't but he REALLY got me.

A permanent maze ride (where things can EASILY be kept fresh every time) would be awesome.
dantheman

I love Nst for some reason. Love the maze bit at the end especially when there are actors in there. I know the lifts are very un realistic though.
lucozade

dantheman wrote:I love Nst for some reason. Love the maze bit at the end especially when there are actors in there. I know the lifts are very un realistic though.
Haha yea... But they fooled some people with us. They kept trying to go out the same door they came in hahaha
Ripsaw Raver

So with Nemesis Sub-Terra being down for a while due to a "System Upgrade" what does everyone think we can expect when it re opens?
New drop sequence-New Core show, General Rehab,Extended Scaremaze etc
Your thoughts peeps
stealthsmiler

Maybe add more to the scare maze that will scare people without need so many actors. I think the ending of Sub-Terra could be greatly improved by extending it. Not necessarily more actors but maybe more obstacles from the nemesis creature destroying the building etc.

I personally would like to see it lead out into the Nemesis queue and having it as one big attraction - however I doubt this would happen.
xylyx

Has anyone been on this since it was reopened? I'm curious whether the old restraints have been returned or rejigged. I always enjoy a ride on sub terra but have to squeeze into Oblivion's seats, cross my legs to get into spinball and thirteen, etc,it's being dealt with butI'd hate to have to sacrifice a ride I enjoy due to a new restraint system.
Dan

I had a couple of rides on N:ST over the weekend, and I'm not a fan of the new restraints or the new operational procedures they seem to have implemented.

Throughput was a massive issue. On both occasions the pre-batching area outside the pre-show room was left empty until the group in front had finished the chamber scene (you can tell as you can hear the sound effects from the strobe section at the end)

Pre-show and first lift remains the same as before, however when you reach the chamber this is where it really suffers. There are now 4 Phalanx operatives in there (as opposed to 2 as it was previously) You are asked to shuffle as far back in your seat as possible as two of them lower the restraint and really push down hard at various places along the row (it appears they also have multiple indicators behind the seats to tell them whether the bar is locked, however I didn't get a chance to see what they were) The bar also has to be locked in a lower position than before, and it has got flaps that go over your thighs which prevent you from lifting your legs all the way up, as well as a clear plastic screen on top of the bar which has another bar all the way along that you are asked to hold on to.

The post chamber lift and strobe maze sections remain the same.

I used to really enjoy Sub-Terra, but with the massive decline in throughput as a result of these recent changes, it will no longer be one of those "must-do" attractions for me.
coasterchemist

Lots of us at went on this at Sizzler not too long after lunch and we were told by one of the ride ops that between 50 and 60 people that day hadn't been able to ride because of the new restraints and that they were being adjusted to lock higher that evening. Unfortunately we didn't try reriding yesterday so I don't know if this happened or not, however if this is necessary then it does beg the question why don't they just reinstall the old ones??
Luce

I wasn't really a fan of Sub Terra before but with the lack of actors in the maze section, it's not the same as I think they added something to the end of the ride. The modifications to the restraints are peculiar too as those leg flaps are quite restrictive, although I think that may have been the idea.
TheBeast

In my eyes the actors made it going into if I'm honest. Without them there is no real fear of being jumpscares, all they have otherwise is loud noises and a few cages. Maybe the new restraints are to reduce fear about another incident like they had with the Black Hole (I'm pretty sure I read about an incident with the BH but looking on the web I can't find anything, is it just something I have imagined???)
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
xylyx

That is a curse, I'll give it a go in Sept when I head back to the park, and hopefully the intense fitness regime will have made a difference by then. Don't mind the walk of shame, but I would miss being able to ride. Hey ho.
TH14TEEN

Hopefully there isn't a future, it is awful.