The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Danny

Isn't the one at Drayton Manor that goes backwards classed as a water coaster? And the one at Splash Landings is I thought?
Luviico

If it comes into contact with water and the coaster is track orientated instead of being a boat/log then yes it could be classed as a water coaster but i don't know about the ones you have mentioned, I've never been to drayton manor or been in splash landings lol
Georgie

I dunno... StormForce10 seems to be more of a log flume with a shoot-the-chutes style seating layout. (It also just so happens to be my favourite water ride out of the ones I've been on. That backwards drop is incredible!)
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Burniel

Either way a water coaster is definitely what's needed. I'm just concerned that they'll see the need to turn everything with "coaster" on it into a secret weapon, which is not what is needed. A nice family one would be nice.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
2pints

I rode the flume for the first time in many a year last year, and er well ( where have the fibre glass dinosaurs gone??) it definably needs a bit of TLC but a family ride such as a log flume is in my opinion an essential part of a park such as Alton Towers, not only is it suitable for all the family/everyone in a group its a ride that you can go on on a full stomach ( ie after lunch)
Dr.Kelham

I was re reading the LTDP last night, one thing it hints at is that the flume site will not be an SW site
With thanks to lewis97 :)
DrReeve

Dr.Kelham wrote:I was re reading the LTDP last night, one thing it hints at is that the flume site will not be an SW site
not a secret weapon site. This does not rule it out as a family ride site.
Image credit to Lewis97
DeanGaryCox

As i've said previously in this forum, I think the Flume site is a bit of a wasted space for just a log flume, and the fact The Flume itself is just awful now, Alton Towers still need a Log Flume, so to expand on the Mutiny Bay pirate theme could have a family Rollercoaster (not powered, to bridge the gap between RMT and Th13teen which is well needed), as well as a Log Flume planned together (to intertwine each other, share tunnels etc.) possibly sharing support structures to save money, but build it over two years, say open the Log Flume one year, and the Rollercoaster the next, so you have two great investments/rides that can be advertised over two years, which would be great for the park. Alternatively could replace the Flume with a family watercoaster something like this
Danny

I'd love either a water coaster like Journey to Atlantis, but also love Manta at Sea World San Diego but on a small scale. Say a 30mph launch and some good airtime. Would be like a child's first launched ride. If it was aimed more at the younger guests then it means there's nothing wrong with having two launched coasters in the same park.
stealthsmiler

OMG YES! YES! YES! that looks so good, although i think the coaster part should be kinda hidden so when you are boarding it you think its a normal water ride. That has such great potential to not only be a brill ride but have amazing theming as well. It could be the perfect ride to get small children into big rides, ones who are put off by the sight of a large coaster, even though they would love it.

and Manta is too much like Air though.
Danny

stealthsmiler wrote:OMG YES! YES! YES! that looks so good, although i think the coaster part should be kinda hidden so when you are boarding it you think its a normal water ride. That has such great potential to not only be a brill ride but have amazing theming as well. It could be the perfect ride to get small children into big rides, ones who are put off by the sight of a large coaster, even though they would love it.

It's nothing like air, it's not even by the same manufacturer
DeanGaryCox

stealthsmiler wrote:
The Manta they're on about is in San Diego (not the B&M flyer at sea world orlando) which is a jet ski launched coaster due to height restrictions, but a family version of rita, possibly with motorbike style seats for the family audience whilst still being thrilling would be great, and unique so wouldn't matter having two launch coasters.
stealthsmiler

yeah got confused with orlandos manta.
evenstar120

I have fond memories of the Flume from when I was only a child but I must confess that I haven't been on it in many years. It's in such a dreadful state now that I don't think I want to go anywhere near it. It looks like it's falling apart and looks very tatty. Probably be for the best if it is removed at the end of the season and a new ride installed to replace it.
Katherine

I have many memories as a child on the Flume, however I feel like the space isn't utilised enough, like it has potential to have another biggish ride there, say a water coaster as many people have suggested, and then maybe have it pirate themed as it links in with Mutiny Bay, and then maybe a re-theme of Flume would be needed if this happened, as both coasters could have a link theming wise, and then the space would be utilised a lot more for it's use.
Master_feedback

I went on it last year its in a very bad way ....
Did notice at the weeked that lots of trees had been cut down around it so it cann be seen from rmt !
It covers a large area and needs to go anything would be better than what is their at the moment a good dark ride gets my vote
stealthsmiler

If they just gave it some TLC and a new theme, that would be good. If the baths were replaced with pirate style boats and indoor theming was added on the god awful windy bit, which is boring and way too long, it would have the potential to be a good ride. It could tell a story as you ride along, about a battle between pirates. Smoke could be added and lots of effects, they could maybe somehow like it too battle galleons. The Flume could be the history of an ongoing battle whilst Battle Galleons could be the battle in present day. Otherwise it should be the coaster from the youtube link above (obviously different theme)
jackgrace94

Alton towers are at a turning point this year, with both sonic and the flume... Noticing in gloomy wood certain trees with "X" on must mean something is planned as the back end of the flume is located across the way :lol Sonic is also due to loose its sponsorship this year... So with cbeebies land in place this year adventure lands playground will be demolished probably leaving sonic on its own... Now the logical thing to do is move the ride and expand this area into cbeebies... If they move the ride won't it cost them about the same as it would to build a brand new ride similar to type so maybe they may just leave it... But they have a decision to make this year close the flume or move or renew sonic sponsorship...
Burniel

jackgrace94 wrote:Sonic is also due to loose its sponsorship this year
That was last year. It got renewed
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
MRWTHO-AT

When does the sponsorship run out with Imperial Lather? The Flume is a good ride and is very popular, but I agree it does need some TLC and perhaps a tweak to the theme; i.e. make it blend in with pirates. This could be done having the ducks where eye patches, "ha-ar me hearty" tannoy announcements and the jolly roger flag placed on the new brown bathtubs. Then the theme tune could be "What shall we do with a drunken sailor" which ends with "throw him in the bath tub". That could be a cheaper alternative to a new water coaster, which would also be a good idea. I think that and the return of the Pirate Ship (aka Blade) would improve the great theming of Mutiny Bay up even more, although I wouldn't know where to put the Blade.
Martin