Should X-sector be re-named/re-themed to Ministry of Joy?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
stealthsmiler

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
There is not really anything on the ride with suggests a "hospital-ish" theme either.
:)
Hosptalish was bad phrasing but it would look better if staff were dressed up, like on Sub Terra.
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Also, the Lord of Darkness videos in Oblivion's queue are leagues better than any of the multimedia created for The Smiler. And spinning hypnodisks on Oblivion? That would just be silly.

The Smiler is an excellent rollercoaster but the theme was really done on the cheap and it shows in all aspects of the attraction. The last thing we need is this kind of tackiness expanded over the whole area.

You can see from this video how cool and edgy the original X-Sector theme was compared to the mess it is today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqyaa--hRao

:)
But The Smiler looks out of place. Theres no way AT are going to remove it's theming and replace with better (+ more expensive) so the only way to make the area go is to re theme the whole area, and if done properly, it would look good. The hypnodisks on Blivy were just a suggestion to make it link with The Smiler, or change the orange to yellow which a lot of people (myself included) are against. To the general public who dont look into the back stories, it doesnt really go, so the rides have to look like they fit together and the only way to get the back stories across to the general public is to have videos in the queue lines which they will watch as they have little else to do. This is effective as proved by Blivy.
Last edited by stealthsmiler on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owen

No, x-sector is and has always been (since 2013) the ministry of joy but when oblivion was made it was secretive and now it's not.
CoasterCrazyChris

stealthsmiler wrote:But it looks out of place.
What looks out of place?
stealthsmiler

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:But it looks out of place.
What looks out of place?
The Smiler (Just edited it)
Cobby

I dont think X-Sector should be re-themed because, in my opinion, it's one of the best themed areas at Alton Towers and a Ministry of Joy retheme would just wreck this theme. I would not like the videos on oblivion to be changed either because I love them videos because they really get you in the hype for the ride. I remember the first time I went on oblivion and them videos really got my adrenaline pumping. I do think that The Smiler is a little out of place, but they should change the videos for that, e.g include the Lord of Darkness in them, or explain how Oblivion and Enterprise were failed experiments. I do like The Smiler I just think that Oblivion is much better themed/ ride experience. Basically I think it should stay the same and make The Smiler fit Oblivion, not the other way round.
Last edited by Ladyofthelake on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SPG Clean up
stealthsmiler

That would be a good alternative, but the rides still look very contrasting. Oblivions very dark (not as in the colour) where as MOJ is well joy. If the vids on the smiler were added to incorporate Oblivions failure to correct it would be good, but if they are failures, why would they still be in operation?

I do love X sectors theme but now that Smiler has been added IMO it needs to be replaced, as The Smiler is the Rita of X sector, just worse (as in fits in worse, if that makes sense)
ryan8741

If the X-Sector wasn't themed around MOJ in the first place, then what was it themed on?
^ Credit to Lewis97
^Credit to NemesisRider

Rollercoasters are all you need in life...
CoasterCrazyChris

stealthsmiler wrote:That would be a good alternative, but the rides still look very contrasting. Oblivions very dark (not as in the colour) where as MOJ is well joy. If the vids on the smiler were added to incorporate Oblivions failure to correct it would be good, but if they are failures, why would they still be in operation?

I do love X sectors theme but now that Smiler has been added IMO it needs to be replaced, as The Smiler is the Rita of X sector, just worse (as in fits in worse, if that makes sense)
I don't think that The Smiler needs a storyline which explicitly links it to Oblivion, it just need a visual thematic style which matches that of Oblivion and the rest of X-Sector.

Nobody could possibly say that The Smiler's entrance, station building, queue or general landscaping were done to a high standard. It just doesn't have a quality finish to it like you would expect from a properly designed attraction.

On the other hand, Oblivion has a well landscaped queue which wraps around a mound with themed buildings and videos, a nice stylized concrete entrance arch (or it did have), a curved steel and concrete style station built into the side of the hill; as well as a spacious viewing area around the drop zone complete with a cafe kiosk and themed fences.

You can see the difference in standard...