Submission to be removed

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
RedStar98

Sad to hear actually, I used to like going on Submission a lot. I suppose it was getting towards the end of its life. I'm sure they'll replace it with a cool flat ride, soon hopefully.
Tom170499

Remember as well the ride was made by Chance and shortly after it was installed, the company went into liquidation so the reason why the other arm was never in operation might have been that the spare parts weren't available anymore. This might be a contributing factor for its removal. I will miss it really, all the years of fun on it with my big sister. Good times :')
Last edited by Tom170499 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThrillJunkie

I actually like Submission. Yes it was a bit painful but in a strange way I found it quite enjoyable plus Submission was the parks new attraction during my visit ever trip to the towers.

Yes it's getting old now but with examples like Ripsaw and Blade I thought it had a few years left yet. Alton are really desperate for flat filler rides to help absorb the queue lines during peak season so I personally don't agree with this discussion. And when you think about how small the foot print of this ride was I can't imagine there will be many thrill rides that could fit into this space.

Sad News :-(
ThrillJunkieUK
Burniel

What will it be replaced with? It's quite a small area
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
kierannewcombe

I reckon we'll see a new ride here in 2015. Nothing big just a filler

Credit to Lewis97
BenBowser

I have to say, I think today is the most attention Submission has ever got.
Burniel

But what? It's not like slammer which took up a large area
kierannewcombe

the one they were planning for dark forest.

Credit to Lewis97
Burniel

kierannewcombe wrote: the one they were planning for dark forest.
Which was?
kierannewcombe

Look in your inbox

Credit to Lewis97
Mattfat1

Submission is a good ride IMO it's just a shame the restraints weren't a better design, the way they just rest across the top of your thigh and thats the only point of contact lead meant pain that over ruled the actual ride experience. 

I'm glad its gone, when visiting the park with people who don't know at least thats the end to that discussion of "lets go on it" being met with a firm "NO" followed 15mins later by "See, I told you so"

I don't fully remember the Energiser but I remember it was an enjoyable no stress ride, The replacement could go down this route along with the Enterprise being a family friendly ride or maybe the towers is now lacking a balls to the wall flat ride and need to come up with something new to stand next to The Smiler... A bit of landscaping on the old submission site with a better queue line and you could get quite a big area freed up for something a bit more substantial.
Luviico

I would welcome a return of an Energizer type ride. I never went on Submission but Energizer was at least comfortable and enjoyable. Plus it too didn't take up too much space.
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig
Lee

I'm not terribly surprised.

Simply from a throughout perceptive alone, it was limited to 800ish people per hour based on two fully operational arms. With the issues of limited capacity over the last few years, it was inevitable that an attraction with a 400 per hour capacity wasn't going to last terribly long at the resort. It's simply not viable for Towers as a business to justify the ongoing maintenance and running costs with minimal return back.

Hopefully Enterprise will be next to go, and Towers have a lovely plot of land to play with ;)
lf2001

They should've took away Enterprise as well imo. Then have two new flats open this year or next year to replace them both.
Dan

Submissions removal doesn't really surprise me.

I never rode it, and despite it being a good ride to watch when both arms were in operation, this hasn't happened for years, and whenever I have visited I've never seen it with a queue worth mentioning.

I hope they remove the whole thing before the park opens, as having it partially dismantled and hidden behind a fence will just make X-Sector look untidy.
themealgang

It was one of the most painful 'thrill' rides out there but it is interesting they have shut it what appears to be very suddenly. I'm hoping for a replacement soon; a thrill ride to complete the X Sector line-up is a must. The park is running low on flat rides now with just two Huss classics left for thrill seekers.

It's good that Submission is at last going on the scrap heap. You hardly see anyone coming off happy with what they have just experienced! 
Tom170499 wrote: Remember as well the ride was made by Chance and shortly after it was installed, the company went into liquidation so the reason why the other arm was never in operation might have been that the spare parts weren't available anymore. This might be a contributing factor for its removal. I will miss it really, all the years of fun on it with my big sister. Good times :')
I'm sure Morgan purchased Chance shortly after it went bust? That would explain why they are now called 'Chance Morgan'. They still operate offer some, but not all of Chance's old flat ride catalogue so if Alton were that determined, they could've gone to them for parts.
Last edited by themealgang on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Instant Mix

I'm glad, I'm pretty the sure the chances of me having children at some point in the future has greatly decreased due to this ride's incredibly comfortable restraints.
I'd love to see another flat ride there, but I honestly can't think of what could be a suitable replacement. Submission had a fairly small footprint, with enterprise and oblivion's track in the way, there isn't much to put there.
Tom170499

lf2001 wrote: They should've took away Enterprise as well imo. Then have two new flats open this year or next year to replace them both.
Maybe Enterprise will be removed at the end of the 2014 season and then two new flats introduced for 2015???
LCFCjames

I don't think enterprise will be leaving as well, as it has just recently had a refurbishment last year. Plus I think it is the more popular ride out of the two. On the other hand, if they both left it would leave quite a big area where a new flat ride could go. A big thrill ride could quite easily fit in that space  8)
DeanGaryCox

I personally would like Enterprise to stay as it's not necessarily a ride that I would go on, but fits so well with Oblivion's banked turn.

As for Submission, is there a possibility whatsoever that we could see a new ride replace it for this season? As their flat ride line up was limited with terrible rides as it was, and although not much of a loss to lose Submission it's still a thrill ride which will be gone. Unless something has gone wrong with it, why remove it now? Why not wait until next season for when it would hopefully be replaced...
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014