Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Danny

I actually love the sound of this! Sorry for creating another topic, I didn't realise it was being discussed here :)
BenBowser

Come to think of it, I did get a angry birds 4D poster in the attractions management magazine a few weeks ago, will add a pic later
NickiFan

I am going to be brutally honest.
I hate it. I didn't really like the idea of cbeebies land, now this is just a joke..
The area around Nemesis Inferno looks poor anyway considering its theme, now this is just going to make it look more out of place than Air.. I don't like it, oh well  :roll:
Kirsty25

jon18uk wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote: I think this IP will stand out like a sore thumb at Thorpe Park. It is one park that should stay focussed on thrill rides in my opinion rather than trying to attract and cater for families too.
The problem is they tried attracting young adults and it didn't turn out well for them. Families spend more more on food, souvenirs etc.
Also there are many family groups who do go to Thorpe because the older children/teenagers want to go, so it makes sense to have a range of rides for everyone. Same as Chessington have a few more thrilling rides (ramesis, Rattlesnake etc) so that older children/adults don't feel left out.
I actually disagree. Families are less likely to spend money in souvenirs for the reason that they've spent more to get in and they tend to have picnics on park from what I have seen so would disagree with those points on that basis. Families have far less disposible income than young adults. I think Chessington should stay as the family park.

The main issue with Thorpe is that though they have the hotel - there's nothing else to do there on a night on the "Resort" as they're now marketing themselves and knowing a lot of young adults, they want somewhere to have a drink. That and relatively speaking - it's expensive! When I went last year, it cost me £100 there abouts for 2 rooms in the travelodge - for the crash pad I was looking around 3 times that. The travelodge at staines is pretty central... whereas to stay at Crash Pad there's very little around it without driving/using public transport/getting a taxi - that's where they need to focus in my opinion.
Jack

This isn't going to work out for "the nation's THRILL capital - RESORT"

The theme will not work well with Nemmy inferior and seriously?! The Detonator re-theme?!

My attitude may have changed to CBeebies Land, but Angry Birds?! Really?
Last edited by Jack on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

No ... Just no
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
themealgang

The worst news I have heard from a UK theme park. EVER. And we have had a few disasters in this country.

The Detonator re-theme is silly. To be honest, the whole of Thorpe is a mess at the moment. They have killed a fairly decent B&M Wing Coaster with the backwards seats which make the trains look completely hideous, Storm Surge looks so out of place and now the Angry Birds branding for a THRILL park will make the park look like a dump.

Get this woodie built Thorpe and save yourself from disastrous seasons ahead. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Burniel

The future of Thorpe:
Danny

I don't know why they chose to do this but I'd imagine it's to build on their number of children friendly attractions. I know your saying that their adding this to a 'thrill park' but maybe they don't want to be labelled as that anymore and more similar to AT, where it offers a number of attractions for the whole family.
Burniel

As a person who only does the smaller rides, I can tell you that an angry birds world doesn't make me run to Thorpe Park
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote: As a person who only does the smaller rides, I can tell you that an angry birds world doesn't make me run to Thorpe Park
It's not purely for people who don't like big rides, it's for little children who enjoy playing the game and own the merchandise I.e Teddy's
Burniel

Is there not enough places where you can get a giant angry birds teddy?
Danny

We'll clearly not otherwise they wouldn't have done the deal :lol:
Burniel

DannyG wrote: We'll clearly not otherwise they wouldn't have done the deal :lol:
This is true :lol:

I think it's a bad move on Thorpe's park. Angry birds= 10 and up (with any good parents) and from 10 is where most ;) kids start to like the big rides
Themeparksandy1981

Where do you think they will build the Dodgems, and what would the theme be like?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Where do you think they will build the Dodgems, and what would the theme be like?
Well it says the red birds against the piggies, so I would've thought you can pick wether you're red bird or pig themed car.
Last edited by Danny on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabbygrace

I actually love this idea! (if it is done well) The park needs more that caters to a family and this sounds perfect!
Also, find me a young adult/teenager who doesn't like playing Angry Birds even just a little bit.

I really hope the re-theme is done as well as that of Saw and The Swarm and that leads to Thorpe re-landscaping the rest of the park to these standards.

still trying to figure out where the dodgems will go though....?
Last edited by gabbygrace on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

gabbygrace wrote: find me a young adult/teenager who doesn't like playing Angry Birds even just a little bit.
Find me a teenager/young adult who doesn't love the other rides at Thorpe.

You can't include me
abigsmurf

The idea of an Angry Birds land is fine (although you have to wonder how long it'll be relevant).

Two family attractions that are undercover is a good idea. They really should add more though, given the lack of family rides in the park the dodgems will build up insane queues (like storm surges does).

The Angry Birds theme is just crying out for a more interesting ride such as a junior boomerang.

Although Thorpe park is a thrill park, it's unrealistic to expect them not want a reasonable selection of family rides.

Parents wanting to take teenage kids, groups of where a few people don't like extreme rides. You have to have rides they can go on or they simply won't want to go. The park still desperately needs a high capacity dark ride.
LittlestarRed

Well I have to say I'm divided on my opinion of this move by Thorpe.

On the bright side it cheered my 6 year old daughter up (who had just been sobbing about the re-theme of Squirrel Nutty at AT), and my 8 year old Son is beside himself with excitement! The return of the 4D theatre is great and who doesn't like Dodgem's?

I will be able to visit Thorpe with the kids again, without feeling guilty about them getting bored!

So, I like the idea-ish…I think!?

My biggest issue is with the Detonator re-theme. Not sure how that is going to work well with a lot of the target audience being too short to ride? Also, Amity and Calypso are going to be a strange, dis-jointed mish mash to walk through from here on in.

I'm sure it will get a fair few more people through the gates, maybe it could work?
My Kids wanna live in Cloud Cuckoo Land!...