What was your favourite moment of 2013?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Gorrock

Hey guys!

I was just wondering what was your favourite AT moment of the year? For me it would have to be riding The Smiler for the first time.  What's yours?

This has been a great year for Alton Towers, and I have really enjoyed it! Here's to a great time next year!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

- Gorr  :D
Last edited by Gorrock on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''To many, no doubt, he will seem somewhat blatant and bumptious, but we prefer to regard him as being simply British'' - Oscar Wilde

leeConway

For me it was the added bonus of The Sanctuary re-opening for free early season. With not huge queues it gave us all the chance to get plenty of runs through what was the best scare attraction of 2012. And the pleasure of experiencing Gerry Cannell re-visiting his creation Dr Kelman.
Last edited by leeConway on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamTP

Air, Nemesis and Th13teen in the snow in March! First ever trip to Alton Towers so it made it really special!
Last edited by SamTP on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickiFan

Getting my annual pass probably
Last edited by NickiFan on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NemeJaney

Meeting John Wardley on the RCCGB Loopathon (he was a surprise special guest).
Nobody really knew who it was going to be, but I think we all got what we'd hoped for.  :joy:
Last edited by NemeJaney on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripsaw Raver

My First and definitely not last Scarefest dressed up as a MOJ-Sanctuary Advocate (PreSmiler-Post Sanctuary), experiencing all the mazes, riding The Smiler in the dark and topping off, 27 minutes in the Extreme Sanctuary.
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
DavidRock

Mine has to be Fireworks, this year Alton towers really upped their game and made it special compared to the last few years.

Honourable mentions go to the following......

Smiler front row.....

Getting stuck in the flying position for 15 minutes on fireworks night waiting for Tech services to come and release us...
lf2001

For me it would have to be getting on the Smiler twice! :D And the fireworks, as they were amazing this year!!
Last edited by lf2001 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Balb0wa

Smiler opening day, great weather, 3rd train of day on the front, general good buzz about the place.
Zach

Have to be concreting myself in history as the first public train of The Smiler. The buzz and magic in the X-Sector that day made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, the race from the entrance to the X-Ssector that morning was fab as it really separated the men from the boys, those who could push through and do anything to be first and those who gave up.
Last edited by Zach on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucy2244

There have been so so many amazing moments that I can't count - all made by the place, the people and the wonderful company I was in. I have to say, I really enjoyed the Summer Sizzler meet and think that has been a highlight of the year for me. Meeting so many new people who all love the same thing, it was really quite nice  :lol:. But, The Smiler opening day was a good one too, despite queuing the massive queue and facing 3 buses and a train on my own - it was all worth it for that moment - and it felt great.
Last edited by lucy2244 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vordok419

Riding The Smiler and getting a job there over Scarefest were my best moments this year. :D

Vordok
Dan

My greatest moment of 2013 would probably be a solo vist I did in July/August.

10 rides on The Smiler and 7 on Nemesis in one day. Everything was running like a dream and the park was so quiet for saying it was the school holidays.

Hoping for many more great moments in 2014!
Danny

Getting to be on one of the first public trains to ride the smiler on opening day :)
JaykeAT

Being the first people in the car park in June, getting on the first monorail of the day and then the front row of the first train of the day for The Smiler. After my last visit watching it stall I think I winced every time it went past the cobra roll.
Last edited by JaykeAT on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeanGaryCox

The Smiler for the first time... and by far my favourite moment of any theme park, the Alton Towers Firework Display. Amazing.
Image 2014
Oblivion115

For me it has to be going to The Towers in June and riding The Smiler for the first time...

Walking into the X Sector and hearing the music and then turning to the left and seeing it I was just like "holy firetruck..."  :lol:
Last edited by Oblivion115 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks lewis97 for the signature!
Interesting fact: I play bass :P
MinecraftFan96

Definitely riding The Smiler for the first time in June, been corrected 31 times and i'm still buzzing for more! :D
The Smiler is becoming too powerful! Its replacing your memories with its own! SMILE. ALWAYS.
JammyBand

NemesisJaney54 wrote: Meeting John Wardley on the RCCGB Loopathon (he was a surprise special guest).
Nobody really knew who it was going to be, but I think we all got what we'd hoped for.  :joy:
I was there too! I got his signature and a picture. It was so amazing meeting him. He really is my role model and so I would probably say this was my favourite experience this year also!
SamTP

going on air and nemesis in the snow!