2014 Park Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NemeJaney

Whatever the new map looks like, I hope they make it more visually accurate. The current one is...well...tragic, in terms of readability(for those who don't know their way round, obviously). It could be worse, but something tells me they went wild creating a sense of action and excitement, but shrugged their shoulders at making it appropriately accurate.
NickiFan

The 2013 wasn't 'that bad' compared to the Thorpe Park map. I do hope it is a better layout though, they have used the same one for a couple of years now, time for something new I think :)
SamTP

I like the look of the 2013 map, But that's because I know my way around! I can see how for some one who doesn't know there way around, the map would be be VERY annoying! Although, I do agree that the Thorpe park one is worst!
NickiFan

SamTP wrote: I like the look of the 2013 map, But that's because I know my way around! I can see how for some one who doesn't know there way around, the map would be be VERY annoying! Although, I do agree that the Thorpe park one is worst!
I didn't even attempt to use the TP map, got lost straight away trying to get from entrance to Nemesis Inferno.
LoopyDan

I have no ideas at all about the map, but I'd like to see this key thing return

Kirsty25

On the Thorpe Map subject... I did get lost using it - I managed to lose Saw - I could see it, but could I heck remember/figure out how you got to it :|
Henry

I honestly think that it won't change from this years, but I hope it does! :p) :p)
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
BenBowser

I don't really mind what they change it to, as long as they change it.

A list of things the new map should be able to do:

1 - Be functionable, not get visitors lost
2 - Look good, there is no point in the map looking like a OS map
3 - Show a bigger gap between forbidden valley and dark forest, make the gardens seem really dense
4 - have the list of areas and their attractions at the bottom of the map
5 - colour code the rides with intensity
Burniel

It's funny because none of the above were in the 2013 map ;)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Tom.B

I'd really like to see a map which is not isometric style (if you know what I mean). All maps should show you how to get from one place to another, and having the map straight up is the right way about it in my opinion. I have a feeling that like other parks (DM/PP etc) they'll enlarge the CBeebies Land somewhat, to make it more navigable for families with young children, as I think we'll see a lot more of them this year.
BenBowser

^ I like what your saying about stopping the isometric view as it blocks numerouse pathways from view. They also need to stop showing nemesis although it goes round the back of duel and into Katange Kanyon! I wouldn't mind the new map looking like Chessington's, showing the exact ride and path locations but still making it look exciting. And for god sake, get rid of the smoke around duel, cloud cuckoo land and dark forest!
Jevaaaans

As long as they turn Oblivion round the right way, and make Air and TH13TEEN look more representive of themselves, I really don't care about the rest of the map :D
Burniel

Something like this but more up to date would do I suppose
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Zach

Ilovecoasters wrote: Image
Something like this but more up to date would do I suppose
I totally agree there Ilc, that map shows proper pathways and the rides like for like, not Nemesis going around the back of Duel, or Air looking like an inverted coaster which really grinds on me cause neither of those happen. They are just a small number of things wrong with the current map 
Last edited by Zach on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georgie

As we come closer to the Half-Term period, I want to re-open this topic with a question:  do you think we'll see anything when the park opens for the week?  What have previous years done in terms of maps for this time, especially in 2011 when the last update was?  If there is gonna be a new map this year, would we find out then?
Last edited by Georgie on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Dr.Kelham

Maybe on the half term maps?
With thanks to lewis97 :)
Dan

Dr.Kelham wrote: Maybe on the half term maps?
In previous years they have still used the previous seasons map for the half term event.

The map for the new season normally gets released a couple of weeks before the park opens, I know The Sun normally have it as a 2 page spread feature in conjunction with their free ticket offer but it hasn't yet been confirmed if that's running again this year.
Dr.Kelham

Ah that is true, my bad :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)
Georgie

Dan.N wrote: In previous years they have still used the previous seasons map for the half term event.
Ah, OK.  Rellitavely new here so wasn't quite sure.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Luviico

I must say I too liked the 1998 map! Firstly for personal reasons, 98 was when I had my first AT visit at the age of 5 and I still have the map now! Nice to look back at it and remember the magic. Secondly the layout was exactly how it should be, it was easy to use, the sized down scale of attractions was believable (not like the recent maps) and they were accurate. Also, the colours and presentation were nice without being over the top (which I am hoping won't happen with Cbeebies land making it's map debut). A return to the late 90's/2000 style of map would be welcomed by me  :D
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig