Project Nem 20.

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Mace Windu

I've decided to start a new thread as I think the title of the previous one was misleading and I couldn't work out how to change it, so starting again with more information from the start of this dedicated project...

It's been in the making for probably 2-3 years when I first started working with the process of No Limits tracks to RCT custom tracks, and I knew I wanted to make Nemesis because well, it's just the best ride and has so much going for it in the way of details. At the start of the project I just made the track and got it to work, which was hard enough at the time, but as that got finished there was just not enough detail to it. Working with various members from forums (nldave and then much later Boz from project towers) I have been slowly adding more and more to it...

From the very beginning, was the track:-

Which as you can see was never really that detailed to begin with in terms of textures, supports or any other scenery and the landscape was just done with the in game land, though later I did add a first gen texture to the track which looked quite good for the time

As time moved on, the first major parts to be added were supports and the lift catwalk. The first gen lift catwalk was very high poly and not overly detailed, and the supports were not really connected to the track so later came the actual connections between support and track:-

Then came quite a big pause on track details at the time as I thought they were good enough... which meant I started other things like the station, though only the interior was ever started due to the crazy complexity of the exterior:-

Once I had started the station and a few other pieces, it came to me that this wasn't going to just be 1 ride, there were a lot of connecting scenery that flowed into the Forbidden Valley area, so rather than just a ride, I would make the whole area! This is when project Nem 20 was born, and it gave me a time scale to work with, nem20 referring to Nemesis's 20th anniversary in 2014.

The first connecting CS to be made was the helix fence and path:-

As I knew there would be a huge amount of other things to make, I turned my attention to trying to make a ride, Ripsaw, the very first shot of it, which was also the first in game test was this:-

After Ripsaws first test, I went back to working on Nemesis where there was quite a lot of progress made on the models before I showed anything. The landscaping was being started, I was playing with the idea of how to make the waterfalls, and the first remake of the lift hill catwalk had taken place to reduce poly, clean up and retexture:-

While working on the landscape, the queue line was always in the back of my mind, and I knew I wanted to make it peep friendly which meant having to be restricted to 4x4m path blocks that couldn't do diagonals... so there was me stumped on how I was going to do certain parts of it because they had to be diagonal. After thinking how can I do it, I went into the game and studied the path and how peeps walked on it, and the queue line... which led to me being able to see that they walked diagonally when the path is stepped so I was able to do the queue that goes below the loop:-

After having worked quite a while with the blood tests to which there are videos on YouTube, I had finally found a decent texture and settings combination... for a while I did a lot of work with Ripsaw, then turned my attention to starting The Blade.

Now that I had started more of the area with regards to the rides, their surrounding areas needed to be created, spent quite a bit of time working on them:-

At this point in the time scale was when I introduced my project to the virtual towers project and started talking to Boz... he appreciated the amount of work I had put in and wanted to help, so gave me his Forbidden Valley mock up for Sub Terra so I could use it to help me progress with mine. I used a few bits and pieces from the file but they needed tweaking so they were more RCT friendly, like the drill piece at the top of the valley. Started out at 164000 poly which was just impossible to use so spending quite a while editing it, I got it down to 25000 which for those in the modelling world is a HUGE achievement. Also, from Boz's great work I was able to get the archway, edge arcade, Blade valley, the Burger Kitchen, fences, gardens, game stalls and rock work all done around this point, a lot of work took place:-

Having spent a long time on all the surrounding areas, I decided to go back to Nemesis itself and after going to the park to take research photos and various detail notes, it was time to update the track... this meant a new texture for the track, rails and supports, and I created bolts that hold the track pieces together:-

Now that the track had a bit of an overhaul, and I had some photos of other bits and pieces to work from, I started to add more details like signs, entrance arch, photo shop, walkway cages :-

Now brings it up to not really that long ago where things started to take a big leap forward in detailing; brakes, friction wheels, and a completely custom made train to fit the track. I also changed the track texture again and this time it is actually made from a photo of the real track :-

More details and big chunks of things have been worked on like the maintainence shed, footers & landscaping.

Now brings us up to date to what has been happening - the station!! I have been putting this off for as long as I possibly can just due to the fact it will be crazily difficult to make. However, I have so far got all 6 legs done and they are pretty much as perfect as they are going to get with the limitations of how the track is, the size of the station and so forth:-

The last thing to have just been done is if the CT is fully working in game. There were some rather interesting glitches while it was in production like the train ran backwards, the peeps were sat upside down under the train, there was even a stage where it would speed up going up hill and slow down going down hill, which led to it going back and forth at the top of the first corkscrew. It was rather funny to watch at the time and just before everything was sorted, the last glitch was that just the back car was backwards, which wouldn't be a bad thing to happen in real life now would it:-

A short teaser trailer to show the ctr and track in action:

So there we go, the whole story of how project nem 20 has been going so far and will be updated on here again and hopefully people will see it more for what it really is now. Thanks for reading, comments eagerly appreciated and more updates to come soon.
Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt.Barnacles

Looking good, will you be doing Sub-Terra and Air to complete FV?
Mace Windu

Sub Terra yes, Air might not get done in time because it hasn't even been started...
Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

^future update to the project? ;)
Altontowersbarlow

That looks fantastic and you are very talented! :)
RollercoasterGEEK100

I can see this being the most downloaded CT when its released.

Credit to NemesisRider
Mace Windu

Thanks for all the nice comments, they are greatly appreciated. I would like to ask something - as you can see from the pictures so far there is a crazy amount of stuff that needs making so I would like to ask any modellers if they would like to help make anything for it? I don't expect the crazy high detail things making, but it's all in the details that make it. Everyone that helps will get their name on a gold plaque with what they did for the model and it will be released with the download as a CS piece, and more than likely an early release bonus of it too.

So, if you have seen something that hasn't been made yet and would like to help then please offer! All help is appreciated :)
Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish777

Well, technically I've stopped making cs, still producing a set of my own though, but it would love to help if if can. Though I'm not the best of modellers.
Mace Windu

First update - I have been working on the station a bit, trying to work out how to do its crazy complexity... I think I've got a good start so far though.

The only problem is due to the restrictions of rct, the roof spine to keep it in the center, the doorway is now off center... but I think once everything is in place it shouldn't be too noticeable.
Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altontowersbarlow

coaster-inc wrote: first update, been working on the station a bit, trying to work out how to do its crazy complexity... think iv got a good start so far though...

the only problem is due to the restrictions of rct, the roof spine to keep it in the center, the doorway is now off center... but i think once everything is in place it shouldn't be too noticeable.
That is amazing well done :)
Mace Windu

Started working on the side of the station. So far 2hrs work:

Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoopyDan

Brilliant :D
Danny

Very impressive but why is that white building there? That's about where the corkscrew is isn't it?
Mace Windu

The white building is the internal station skin which will be the rusty colour, it's just there because it's been separated from the outside while building it.
Last edited by Mace Windu on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mace Windu

Here's a teaser of what this project would look like if it was in a better game engine... maybe No Limits 2?

Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

AMAZING! SPECTACULAR! INCREDIBLE! THE BEST! ERMAGHERD! are just some of the things I thought in a split second, it looks brilliant! I do hope you get this into NL2 'cause that would be the best thing that ever happened to humanity ever! :)
Mace Windu

Sorry for the lack of updates, moving into a new house that I'm having to do up so not had the time or energy to do much on this, though I have taken today off and I bring you this...

Was quite an interesting process to make this, took a photo of the tail and drew around the outline then created a block with that shape, by increasing the poly, curving over the edges, smoothing the shape and a lot of manipulation of standard track cross ties, throw in a few spheres and a tube, join it all together and this is what came out, which I think looks pretty damn good even if I do say so myself... I haven't put it into the main model yet to see if the bottom of the tail rests in the right place on the brake run so that will get edited later...

I also added the umm "spine muscle bone rings" which still need a lot of work with putting the rounds on the outside of them...
Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mace Windu

Just put the station with the rest of the model, tweaked the tail a little so it would line up a little better and took this to show how it's all coming together. Also got a better looking texture:

Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mace Windu

First test of the station in the game... still a lot of work to go - settings need changing and more details adding to parts plus the whole other side needs to be made, but I think it's come out quite well for a first test.

Last edited by Mace Windu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mace Windu

Thought I would show a grand overview of how much of this project has been modelled... and this is by no means how much has actually made its way in game yet...

As this shows, there has been quite a lot modelled... but a loooooong way off being any where near complete. At this stage I would probably say it's still only at maybe 50-75% as still needs tonnes of Nemesis queue, rock, land, the bus, waterfalls, the whole of Nemesis Sub-Terra, loads of signage, tree areas, rocks, shops, game stalls, the whole of the sky ride station building which will be all the internals as well, loads and loads and loads still to go.... At the current speed, I'm worried it won't get complete by the release date that I announced (March 29th, 2014)
Last edited by Mace Windu on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.