People Smoking Outside Of Designated Areas

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jamie

The non-smoking rules need to be enforced more strictly, so that people can be ejected for not following the rule (if they continue after a warning from the staff).
It really is disgusting!
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
Coke

I think asking a member of staff is the best and safest option - I agree they could add more signage to some queue lines however, and make the signage already there consistent.

At Fireworks and the concerts they host they could also add announcements every so often, it's not like it would detract from the overall experience.  :)

Are you thirsty?
ukool

There was so much smoking in the queues yesterday, really not nice to stand behind smokers when you don't somke yourself. If they dont have CCTV in the queues, maybe they should.
Last edited by ukool on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richthe4th

Before stopping smoking in the queues, they need to stop people filming with their phones on the rides......smoking, whilst on a ride, whilst filming it on their phones.

Take a look at this video I saw somebody "like" on my facebook feed. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201584561887302&set=vb.1575595463&type=2&theater

Hopefully he will be banned for life from all the Merlin Parks!
TheOutpatient

Haha.
I'll be honest, I did laugh but I really don't want them to burn the restraints. Maybe they could have had a cup of (cold) tea instead? That would have been more ride friendly if it went wrong.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
JammyBand

I have a thing about this. I hate it when somebody starts smoking in a queueline. One reason is because it is  very unpleasant for the people queuing, but mainly, because there are designated areas! I just find it annoying how some people cant follow the rules!
Craftylee

This is a real problem - apart from the wasps, this is one of the biggest negatives of my last visit. Because queues lines are so densely packed, one scumbag that lights one up affects so many people.

I'm not sure what the consequences are for being caught smoking, but if Merlin are serious about combating it they need to simply remove people from the park that are caught smoking, that's the only way to deter people. In my opinion warnings are pointless, the chance of you getting caught by the same member of staff in the same day are extremely low.

Anyone saying "Oh, I didn't realize" - that's rubbish, smoking in public places has been banned for years
2pints

On the last few times that I have been to Alton Towers, it's not just tobacco that was being smoked in the queue lines. I've even seen Alton Towers staff walk by turning a blind eye (to tobacco smokers).
Last edited by 2pints on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
TylerBreeze

Smoking around the park doesn't bother me. Queue line smoking does.

Though, one thing was VERY apparent yesterday... I smelled more weed than Glastonbury. Very bad problem yesterday.
mikecloud1984

I agree with the above poster.

Smoking outside is NOT an issue - it is in fact UK law that smoking outside is permitted.

However, smoking in a confined area (queue line) is 100% unacceptable.

I am a smoker myself but I believe I am considerate to those around me (won't blow smoke at people, will happily move if confronted etc) as I know that not everyone smokes.

Alton Towers/Merlin are not in a position to make a law unto themselves - they cannot enforce people to use the designated areas because it not law for them to do so. They also CANNOT legally kick someone out of the park for smoking (apart form in confined spaces) - so the designated areas are a bit of a red herring regardless.

I feel if someone is being considerate, walking along with a cigarette should not be an issue. We are in the "fresh" air with 100% ventilation.

One thing I do NOT agree with though is being branded a "scumbag" for smoking - could people on this forum please remember that smoking IS NOT ILLEGAL and it is my RIGHT to make my own decisions.
Michelle

It is completely true that smoking outdoors isn't illegal, and as such there's not a lot that can really be done, other than the smoking areas which can only be enforced if someone notices.

Personally, I despise smoking. My parents are both heavy smokers, they smoke in the house and as such I've grown up hating it, however I fully agree that it's your right to smoke and there nothing I can do.
The argument that there's no issue with people smoking in 'free flowing air' is invalid however, as walking along a path (Katanga Canyon, for example) behind a smoker is just as unpleasant as being stuck in a queue line with one and that happens all the time.
In a cinema you wouldn't argue that you should be allowed to smoke and therefore would end up not doing so for a few hours, how is that any different to waiting until you find another smoking point?
Regardless of being outside Towers are trying to enforce a rule which keeps all their guests happy, the smokers still get to smoke, and the non-smokers don't have to encounter it.
jon18uk

mikecloud1984 wrote: I agree with the above poster.

Smoking outside is NOT an issue - it is in fact UK law that smoking outside is permitted.

However, smoking in a confined area (queue line) is 100% unacceptable.

I am a smoker myself but I believe I am considerate to those around me (won't blow smoke at people, will happily move if confronted etc) as I know that not everyone smokes.

Alton Towers/Merlin are not in a position to make a law unto themselves - they cannot enforce people to use the designated areas because it not law for them to do so. They also CANNOT legally kick someone out of the park for smoking (apart form in confined spaces) - so the designated areas are a bit of a red herring regardless.

I feel if someone is being considerate, walking along with a cigarette should not be an issue. We are in the "fresh" air with 100% ventilation.

One thing I do NOT agree with though is being branded a "scumbag" for smoking - could people on this forum please remember that smoking IS NOT ILLEGAL and it is my RIGHT to make my own decisions.
However, Alton Towers are in a position to remove people from the park if they are smoking outside of designated areas. When you enter the park you agree to be bound by the theme park regulations which state:

9. Smoking (including of e-cigarettes) is prohibited within the ATR, with the exception of designated smoking areas (see Resort map for locations).

and

2. You are permitted to enter ATR on the assumption that you are doing so in the knowledge that you are required to adhere to these Regulations. You will not be allowed on if you display any behaviour which gives rise to a reasonable belief that you will not comply with these regulations. 

3. Once you have entered the Resort, if you do not comply with these Regulations or we believe, with reasonable cause, that you have not complied with them, we (Alton Towers Security personnel or a Police Officer) will remove you from the Resort. If you refuse to leave, you will be deemed to be trespassing and we may use reasonable force to remove you. If you are ejected from the Resort, you will have no right to a refund. 

(see http://www.altontowers.com/tandcs/)

Therefore they do have a right to eject people. However I think realistically unless people are heavily smoking and annoying others in queuelines then they won't eject anyone.
mikecloud1984

They have the right to remove people the same way as and shopkeeper has "the right to refuse services to anyone".

They are pretty much backing smokers into a corner here and I do not agree with it one bit.

These terms and conditions are on their website, your agreement to terms and conditions are agreed when you purchase your ticket, I do not believe there is anything written on the ticket about smoking. Ergo sum, you have agreed to terms and conditions you have not read.

In exactly the same was as you agreeing to the 4000 pages of iTunes terms and conditions, 99.9% of the general public do not read them.

I think you have hit the nail on the head though - AT will not eject anyone unless they are being a nuisance.

I am waiting for the day that someone gets ejected from AT for smoking in a well ventilated and "fresh" air area. It would be considered unfair (IMO) for the customer that they at the point of entry to the park have not had a full list of terms and conditions put in front of them to sign.

It definitely a contentious issue, because how can a company issue their own laws when the national law dictates a difference? I deem it acceptable, that on my land, at my house, I am allowed to murder anyone - does that mean I should be able to list terms and conditions that state when you enter my house I cam allowed to kill you?! Rubbish.
Lee

A full list of terms of entry are available on the website and also at the ticket booths if requested.

ATR is a family resort and as such I think it's fantastic they have designated smoking areas. If you wish to smoke you can do so at your convenience, but it also gives those that do not wish to the opportunity avoid that area. It creates a fair compromise between both parties.

No one is being sidetracked or discriminated again and everyone has a pleasant day.
lucy2244

Has anyone here seen the video posted on facebook of 2 teenage lads smoking on oblivion? Not only is that disgusting, but a health and safety hazard too- and from what I understand they didn't even get thrown off park.
markjbevan

Smoking outside at Alton Towers does not bother me in the slightest - I don't smoke myself, but we're all grown up - walking through, or past, a puff of cigarette smoke is not going to do any lasting damage and the smell is no more unpleasant than other smells you experience all the time.  In fact, seeing people doing the theatrical coughing and spluttering when they are in the vicinity of a smoker just makes themselves look stupid!

However, I do not agree with all the dope smoking that goes on - that is illegal and disappointing that it is so widespread.  And another antisocial habbit which is just as bad is spitting.

Maybe they should allow cigarette smoking anywhere, and have designated dope smoking and spitting areas?? :)
Lucieloo

Just got back yesterday and smoking outside of the areas was constant. What I found so funny is at woodcutters people would light up outside right underneath the no smoking signs. the outside seating area of woodcutters has been closed in now to keep in the heater warmth. I must admit it wasn't pleasant but I laughed at them and I put it down to them not being able to read lol
Ahhh poor chavs lol sadly though the staff said nothing.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Evostance

Quite a few people smoking in the queues yesterday, however about 80% of those were smoking weed .  Must have counted it on about 10 different occasions  :shock:
Luce

Personally, I think it's a shame to see people smoking in areas where they shouldn't like queue lines as it's unpleasant for those who don't smoke and wish to avoid breathing it in. I really dislike smoking and am glad there are designated areas of Alton Towers for smokers to go but would appreciate if more of them would utilise these spaces rather than break the rules by lighting up while waiting to go on rides.
JD1991

Queue line smoking aside, I don't see a problem as long as it's not around children or in crowded places. Pretty much everytime I've been there's been people besides me smoking strolling around the park. It's all very well and good saying tell a staff member but let's be honest, how many people move through one section of that park a day at any given time? A fair few. Telling a staff member would be mostly moot imo.

As for signage, putting up more won't deter people, there's enough already. People just choose to ignore it. As for not segragating people etc if you don't smoke you probs don't appreciate some of the positioning of the DSA's, most of them are so far away from civilisation you feel like your in another world.

Besides, they aren't exactly marked on the map well and there aren't a great deal of them. Walking halfway across the map isn't cool. I agree entirely with queue line smoking policies, if there's children all around and tight spaces I normally tell my mates not to light up there.

If, on the other hand, the people in front and behind us in the queue spark one up, I don't see the harm in joining in, they won't mind and the people adjacent etc will have moved on.
I'm Hilarious.