Roper update

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Phild94

DrReeve wrote:
TheBoyWithOneEye wrote: I cant belive that they are going to court with alton towers! Are they really going to stop and ruin milions of peoples fun just so they can have a quiter life? I hope that they loose and have to pay a load of money! Its crazy! If they have such a problem with it why dont they just move? Ive read that they dont even live there most the year sowhat is there problem?  :x

GOSH! I would be very greatful if i lived there  :P
What gets me is there actions yes i understand its not easy to move and they probably dont have the money to. But is there really enough action needed to sue the hell put of Towers. So for them to be happy we have to suffer. I like Thorpe but alton is where i have gone all my life. The magic of the area with the towers.
They don't have the money to cause the keep taking AT to court.....

If they just left it alone they could sell up and move away whenever they want.... And besides if they have a 2nd home and live there most the time why not live their permanently ..... Some people are just so tough to talk a little common sense in to :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
bensaund

Second home... Mr Roper isn't an MP ? LOL
If you go down to the woods today
Ripsaw Raver

oooh trust me...they have got the money to move, Im sure the eyesore on the land that is Churchill Pottery doesnt bring peanuts in. Plus and i quote from one person not of the forums but the hospitality industry In context of the Ropers suing AT " At the end of the day they have the money to do it... so they did"
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Thorpe Towers 13

think they need to get out more and put their money to better purposes to be honest (charity). Just saying...
hands in the air and scream!
phillipvass

I live quite close to the towers and have friends who live in the village of Alton. The villagers main issue with the park has always been the traffic issues caused by the influx of people every day of the week (which has been planned but as of yet not been green lighted), the corkscrews lift was very noisy and any planned development in the old coaster corner area would be strongly opposed but overall the noise levels vary depending on the way the wind blows.

If any of you have stayed at the chained oak hotel, the noise of oblivion can be very loud and the ropers are not too far away from that location, which is why I can sympathise with them to some degree and I'm sure more people would if it wasn't a theme park. They are clever business people and wouldn't be pursuing this unless they had good reason to believe they could succeed in getting attractions removed, which is possible.

I personally hope they don't succeed because I think they've been quite arragont in the way they've gone about it but I think people need to see things from a non theme park fans perspective.
Lucieloo

Ha ha.. love it!! Rage away I agree!!

Anyone got any updates on whats happening about this.. We went to Farley in July to see if we could find their house.. lots of biggens but didn't know which one it may be..?
Anyone know..?
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Fish777

Phild94 wrote:
DrReeve wrote:
TheBoyWithOneEye wrote: I cant belive that they are going to court with alton towers! Are they really going to stop and ruin milions of peoples fun just so they can have a quiter life? I hope that they loose and have to pay a load of money! Its crazy! If they have such a problem with it why dont they just move? Ive read that they dont even live there most the year sowhat is there problem?  :x

GOSH! I would be very greatful if i lived there  :P
What gets me is there actions yes i understand its not easy to move and they probably dont have the money to. But is there really enough action needed to sue the hell put of Towers. So for them to be happy we have to suffer. I like Thorpe but alton is where i have gone all my life. The magic of the area with the towers.
They don't have the money to cause the keep taking AT to court.....

If they just left it alone they could sell up and move away whenever they want.... And besides if they have a 2nd home and live there most the time why not live their permanently ..... Some people are just so tough to talk a little common sense in to :/
They have a 3rd home near me, which i have never seen them live in. Actually, its next door so i think i would know
Kirsty25

Lucieloo wrote: Ha ha.. love it!! Rage away I agree!!

Anyone got any updates on whats happening about this.. We went to Farley in July to see if we could find their house.. lots of biggens but didn't know which one it may be..?
Anyone know..?
We wouldn't permit anyone to give out the details of where anyone lives, for the risk of victimisation and discredit to this website.

On a side note, can all users please refrain from making personal attacks against others.
Lee

It doesn't matter how many houses they own, they, as British citizens have the right to complain and raise a legal battle against Alton Towers.

What really gets me, is members on this forum, and other enthusiast sites really raging against them and personally attacking them. You do not live where they live nor live the life they do. I'm not saying it's as bad as they make out and nor am I supporting them. However, I can guarantee that if other residents of the local area had the financial means to make a complaint, I'm sure some would. They do have support from some local residents.

Ive raised this point before. I live under the landing flight path of Liverpool Airport, which the majority of the time means I can literally read the airplane writing from my loft window. The noise at times is unbearable and audible enough to be heard over the television in the living room. We've complained to the airport, but we don't live within the areas they are obliged to help. If we had the financial means to raise a legal battle, would we? Definitely! At the very least, it would make liverpool airport listen to us. I would imagine that is how this all started.

So before people continue to attack them, think! With topics like this, I've always thought that to comment you have to remove your enthusiast head and look at it objectively. Having stayed at Farley cottage and though ivy house, I can assure you the rides and theme park noise can be heard!

This is the opinion of myself, and not the TowersTimes team.
Last edited by Lee on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish777

But I do live where they live lee. 
Lee

Therideman11 wrote: But I do live where they live lee.
Not in Farley/Alton?
Fish777

No but next to one of there other houses
Lee

Therideman11 wrote: No but next to one of there other houses
But this is about a legal battle about their house in Farley/Alton :lol:
Fish777

I know
Lucieloo

Oh dear.
Time to back out of this one I think.

I certainly am not attacking them, I was just merley asking how close they live because we always stay at Trough and to be honest I have only heard screams once very faintly. And lets face it you are closer at Trough than you are at the actual on site hotels. I think people are merely raging because they dont want to see their beloved towers attacked. I do think that as they are the only ones who have complained about the noise they hear does put them in the position of being the minority wouldn't you say.??

I'm 32 years old and studied law, I dont need someone to tell me the legalities when it comes to data protection and harrassment.

I hope this Roper debate can be settled amicably, but sadly in life there will always be someone who will want to try and spoil it for others. There has been a topic created soley for this particular subject, whilst I agree that we have to be careful not to slate people personally, what else is there to talk about other than latest updates.

Anyway this isn't personal but people do care and thats why it sometimes gets peoples rage.

In my opinion what its worth..
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Lee

I'm 32 years old and studied law, I dont need someone to tell me the legalities when it comes to data protection and harrassment.
No one is telling you anything, but as fan site, these things tend to spiral out of control quickly. Out of respect for all parties concerned, we remove posts that are here solely for the purpose of inflaming a situation, are simply there to attack any party involved, or are asking for location information.
There has been a topic created soley for this particular subject, whilst I agree that we have to be careful not to slate people personally, what else is there to talk about other than latest updates.
We won't allow anyone to be attacked, whether they are forum members or involved in a legal battle. Whilst I understand people are after updates, the poster who bumped this topic only did so to attack the Ropers. If someone disagrees with their decision to peruse a legal battle with Alton Towers, so long as it is put forward with decentcy, it will be allowed to stay, as is with any posts on the forum.
sw7nutter

There defiantly comes a point where if its your second home and you don't even live there  and your complaining about noise ruining your life questions should be asked if there just doing it for money and its not like Alton Towers turned up over night. Its like people moaning about the noise from planes at heathrow, you cant have moved in before teh airport so they knew what they were buying.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
Maseyg123

sw7nutter wrote: There defiantly comes a point where if its your second home and you don't even live there  and your complaining about noise ruining your life questions should be asked if there just doing it for money and its not like Alton Towers turned up over night. Its like people moaning about the noise from planes at heathrow, you cant have moved in before teh airport so they knew what they were buying.
They moved in when Alton was still just a small fairground, gardens, and a stately home though
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
Lee

sw7nutter wrote: There defiantly comes a point where if its your second home and you don't even live there  and your complaining about noise ruining your life questions should be asked if there just doing it for money and its not like Alton Towers turned up over night. Its like people moaning about the noise from planes at heathrow, you cant have moved in before teh airport so they knew what they were buying.
Alton towers was a small a fairground, but it's main attraction was the gardens. I wasn't the multi million pound theme park it is today,

As for the airport analogy, you can't presume to know each circumstance. We moved in when Liverpool airport was an AIRFIELD, not the cheap thrills European airport it has become. There's a stark difference between the noise then, and the noise now. Should we not complain because there's was already an airport?
nicolah

As I live in Alton I can understand Mr & Mrs Ropers anger, they own a house in a beautiful village they expect peace and tranquility. It's right that when they bought the house it was only a small attraction a bit like Tatton Park, but now it is just full of people speeding through the village with wafts of weed in the cars with music blasting. I lived in a house near the old railway and you CAN hear the rides. Nemesis was the loudest from there yes screaming and the actual ride and as for the fireworks they are louder in the village that the actual resort it sounds like bombs ( I love my village & Alton Towers ) it will all be over very soon for another season when the village will return to the spooky damp cold times we all love.
Last edited by nicolah on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicola hunter