Ride Downtime 2013

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
cubwolf

Wasn't this the same scenario that caused injuries on RMT a few years ago?
Tom G

No, it didn't detach mid-cycle like then.
Rob
Admin
Admin

Just to clarify the situation, We are unsure as too why the train is in two sections. We are not sure if the train split in two or if the the train was split in two by the maintenance team.

Hope this makes things clearer.
Hmv

RMT needs splitting for certain mechanical work to take place and it certainly wouldn't stall as that is impossible with this ride (I know because I have worked on it before anyone says). If it had split in half due to a Brocken bolt it would still be together due to the fact it has a tie bar and an additional cable since the accident. Also if you look at the pictures there is no damage to the bodywork around the coupling as you'd expect if the coupling had brocken. If it had broke it would also be impossible for the front half to stop where it had hence my theory that it has been put there so some maintainence can be done. Also all of Katanga canyon was shut off this morning then opened and then shut again. So my theory is that a Crain may have been used to take carriages off for maintainence work and had to be parked on top of the tunnel to gain access to the track, this would also explain why rapids was shut because it would be dangerous for the public to be that close to a suspended carriage. As for the reason a carriage may have been taken off it could be anything because the mine train has no maintainence area apart from the tunnel which as you can imagine can make it very hard to do any large jobs on the ride.
JoshC

Hmv wrote: RMT needs splitting for certain mechanical work to take place and it certainly wouldn't stall as that is impossible with this ride (I know because I have worked on it before anyone says).
Umm... actually it can stall. If there was a power cut or one of the motors failed then the train would lose momentum and stop at a low point. If you really have worked on the ride then you should know that there are 5 low points that the train could come to a stop in during a breakdown. :)
Hmv

JoshC wrote:
Hmv wrote: RMT needs splitting for certain mechanical work to take place and it certainly wouldn't stall as that is impossible with this ride (I know because I have worked on it before anyone says).
Umm... actually it can stall. If there was a power cut or one of the motors failed then the train would lose momentum and stop at a low point. If you really have worked on the ride then you should know that there are 5 low points that the train could come to a stop in during a breakdown. :)
Yes but realistically it isn't a stall! The ride can be powered up again most of the time and yes I could name all 5 of the low points, the tunnel and the station been the most likely places it could end up!
JoshC

Hmv wrote:
JoshC wrote:
Yes but realistically it isn't a stall! The ride can be powered up again most of the time and yes I could name all 5 of the low points, the tunnel and the station been the most likely places it could end up!
Depends how you define a stall really, in my opinion if it doesn't make it round the track for one reason or another, then that means its stalled, its just easier to rectify a stall on a powered coaster as you don't need to crane the whole train off to get it back to the station.

That said, there was obviously something seriously wrong with the ride which meant it couldn't just be 'powered up again', resulting in parts of it being craned off, similar to any other coaster stall.
Hmv

Yeh clearly, but think we're deffinetly both in agreement that it certainly didn't break into two halfs!!!  8)
JoshC

Yes I would definitely agree with that, as you said if it had broken in two the front half wouldn't have stopped where it is, as that isn't a low point, its obviously been purposely placed there to take some carriages off :)
Hmv

Out of interest I'm guessing you have worked on it too??
Last edited by Hmv on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshC

I may have spent a bit of my time on the Minetrain over the past couple of years... :P
Hmv

Haha certainly seems like you know your stuff anyway! Makes a difference from the it's split in half again stuff!!
Balb0wa

My mate just messaged me, Air is down

Altontowersbarlow

RMT is closed again
Michelle

RMT was closed yesterday morning, The Smiler experienced short periods of downtime too, everything else seemed to be working fine.
Dan

According to ridetimes.co.uk Th13teen is currently closed
Altontowersbarlow

Th13teen is closed again today.
Milgod

:(

Nooooooo! This sucks. Do you think it will be running by Monday. Are rides usually down that long? It is the one slightly bigger ride my daughter is tall enough to do. She'll be gutted.
Altontowersbarlow

Milgod wrote: :(

Nooooooo! This sucks. Do you think it will be running by Monday. Are rides usually down that long? It is the one slightly bigger ride my daughter is tall enough to do. She'll be gutted.
Th13teen is open today I think :D
Owen

The smiler is closed along with the water rides due to their 11 o'clock opening all other attractions are open