Careers - Interviews and Job Advice

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Fishfingerish

Hello everybody!

Ivebeen wondering for a while, what are the jobs like at the Towers? Do you have I be promoted to operate the rides, or is there a rota? Do you state what you do in the job description?
Last edited by Fishfingerish on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
Hmv

Start out as a host and work your way up to operator, there's often different levels of hosts though. It all depends what team you are on. Also someone who is an operator on one ride could be a host on another, then certain rides have other positions such as station operators. So all in all there's no simple answer, depends what ride and what team!  :) hope this helps
Fishfingerish

Thanks for the reply! :D

Just a quick question: what's a host?

Krazycoaster

Fishfingerish wrote: Thanks for the reply! :D

Just a quick question: what's a host?
The person you'll see on a station who asks how many are in your group and helps direct people to the appropraite places on the station :D
Hmv

A host is baisacally the staff you see on the station, they may check your harnesses on some rides or just guide you around on others. I often find people under estimate the hosts quite a bit, they literally have to know everything about the ride and what to do should things go wrong. There's a lot more to the job than some people think on some rides!
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Sorry to use your question to ask mine ;) what the age you have to be to work as a host / operator ;)
THANKS IN ADVANCE :D
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Hmv

It's 16 to be a host and 18 to be an operator.
Tryst

I looked at technician jobs a while ago. They were paying better than my R&D job, required similar skills/qualifications and were all year round. Bit of a dead end job for engineers though.
Fishfingerish

I wonder, how long does it take to get promoted from 'Host' to 'Operator'?

Hmv

Fishfingerish wrote: I wonder, how long does it take to get promoted from 'Host' to 'Operator'?
Once again it's looked at on a single case basis! For me it was when I turned 18, I had been there for 1 and a half seasons already! I have seen people get op after about 3 months in the job, but they do deserve it.  :D
Fishfingerish

And the biggest questionof all kids:

Is it fun!

(and how does it pay)

Hmv

Fishfingerish wrote: And the biggest questionof all kids:

Is it fun!

(and how does it pay)
Well I love my job!! Pay isn't great tbh but the team I have around me and the fun factor makes up for it! As with any job you can have some crap times i.e. break downs and evacuations! But I can truly say its the best job I've ever had  :D
Holl_Conway

Hello, I recently applied for a job as Restaurant & Bar Assistant and have got myself an interview, as this role is in the towers hotel I was wondering what can I expect from the interview? Also when I applied it stated the contract will only run to the 10th November and I was wondering why the contract only runs to that date?

Thanks 
Ladyofthelake

Hi,

They will probably ask you about any previous experience, why you want to work at Alton Towers Hotel, and possibly what skills you can bring to the job. They could give you an example scenario where you have to explain what you would do in a certain situation (e.g. a customer complains about their meal and is doing so in a loud and aggressive manner. What steps would you take to calm the customer down and deal with their complaint?)
As for the contract Merlin typically run seasonal contracts and 10th November is when Alton's season ends. This does not mean that there will not be an opportunity for them to take you on a new contract either at Christmas, or next season.

Hope that helps :D
Vordok419

Good Evening folks.

I've just arranged a job interview with Alton Towers tomorrow morning and I just wanted to ask for tips and how to prepare myself for it. It's going to be my first job interview and I'm a little nervous.

Thanks in advance!

Vordok
Danny

I know I'm only 15 so I have very little knowledge of this but I would suggest researching about the company and all attractions at AT, it'll show you are interested and determined
Craftylee

be a team player - get involved and show you are customer and fun oriented :)

keep calm and you'l be fine
Vordok419

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I've just got back from the interview. It went swimmingly once I got over my nerves. I should know sometime next week if I've got the job.

Vordok
Danny

Good luck!
obliviongirl

Good luck Vordok. :)