The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Katherine

NecronomiconUK wrote:
pjb012 wrote: AT could do with opening The Smiler right now to tackle some of those other queue times. I noticed that Sonic Spinball was 2hrs earlier on.  :shock:
The joys of half term
Even though it was pretty much empty on Monday
dazza4783

Phild94 wrote:
Mabalzich wrote: Source: @jadeconomist

Nice shot:

.... I think this pic is for all those people thinking the Marmaliser was small and tacky......
Having not seen the coaster in person yet all i can say at that pic is WOW.
That just puts into perspective just how big this coaster and the marmaliser actually are.
DeadJack5

Can I ask, I haven't been to see this beast. Can people who don't want to ride it go into the pit and sit and watch from underneath the ride? It looks like the queue takes up the whole of the viewing area from below.
jbuckton18

Deadjack5 wrote: Can I ask, I haven't been to see this beast. Can people who don't want to ride it go into the pit and sit and watch from underneath the ride? It looks like the queue takes up the whole of the viewing area from below.
No you can't. It was in the original plans that you could walk underneath it in the 'plaza' but the plans were dropped.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Alex

Deadjack5 wrote: Can I ask, I haven't been to see this beast. Can people who don't want to ride it go into the pit and sit and watch from underneath the ride? It looks like the queue takes up the whole of the viewing area from below.
I suppose if you were desperate you could queue up and then just walk straight through and not ride it, that way you would get the full queue experience and see the station building but not have to ride it
DeadJack5

jbuckton18 wrote:
No you can't. It was in the original plans that you could walk underneath it in the 'plaza' but the plans were dropped.
That's a bit of a shame :(

It's disappointing for family members who don't want to ride but would like to sit underneath and watch the ride above them. Would be fun
jbuckton18

Deadjack5 wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote:
That's a bit of a shame :(

It's disappointing for family members who don't want to ride but would like to sit underneath and watch the ride above them. Would be fun
Yeh would be .. However , they could always sit in Fried Chicken and watch from there ! Looks brilliant from there ! :)
NecronomiconUK

Ready_23 wrote: I suppose if you were desperate you could queue up and then just walk straight through and not ride it, that way you would get the full queue experience and see the station building but not have to ride it
My GF doesn't like rollercoasters but she will normally queue with us and pass through the station instead of waiting outside the ride area.
Evostance

NecronomiconUK wrote:
Ready_23 wrote: I suppose if you were desperate you could queue up and then just walk straight through and not ride it, that way you would get the full queue experience and see the station building but not have to ride it
My GF doesn't like rollercoasters but she will normally queue with us and pass through the station instead of waiting outside the ride area.
Exactly what my GF does now.  Although I feel a bit silly going on my own on the rides  :roll:
jbuckton18

Evostance wrote:
NecronomiconUK wrote:
Exactly what my GF does now.  Although I feel a bit silly going on my own on the rides  :roll:
#

Count yourselves lucky .. my girlfriend refuses to even go ! haha
jbuckton18

Well JW and his family have walked away from the site now . They didnt ride the Smiler but looks like they had a mini tour thing. His kid has bought a smiler shirt from the shop ( well probably for free lol) But yeh so looks like everything is now ready for opening tomorrow. Not many builders left on site now. Just a few sweeping the floors and a few standing around looking at different stuff on the ride. The giggler and the hypnotizer are both testing as well.
J_Baggie

Giggler testing (sorry if already posted)

West Brom til I die!
Chaz

jbuckton18 wrote: Well JW and his family have walked away from the site now . They didnt ride the Smiler but looks like they had a mini tour thing. His kid has bought a smiler shirt from the shop ( well probably for free lol) But yeh so looks like everything is now ready for opening tomorrow. Not many builders left on site now. Just a few sweeping the floors and a few standing around looking at different stuff on the ride. The giggler and the hypnotizer are both testing as well.
Would it be possible to ask down at GS if its 100% going to open tomorrow?
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
jbuckton18

Chaz wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote: Well JW and his family have walked away from the site now . They didnt ride the Smiler but looks like they had a mini tour thing. His kid has bought a smiler shirt from the shop ( well probably for free lol) But yeh so looks like everything is now ready for opening tomorrow. Not many builders left on site now. Just a few sweeping the floors and a few standing around looking at different stuff on the ride. The giggler and the hypnotizer are both testing as well.
Would it be possible to ask down at GS if its 100% going to open tomorrow?
I have asked the park staff at the smiler and they all said that they have been told that it is open tomorrow. I spoke to GS and they said check the website at firsy but then said it is apparently opening tomorrow. I then asked one of the builders walking past and then he said that the ride should be open tomorrow if they get the work finished today but it looks to me that all work is complete now.
ry1996

If the ride is opening tomorrow, shouldn't the announcement have already been made? 
Phild94

ry1996 wrote: If the ride is opening tomorrow, shouldn't the announcement have already been made?
Have you not heard..... last minute decisions is Merlin's new tag line :D

Merlin Entertainments: Why prepare in advance when you can smile tomorrow :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
jbuckton18

ry1996 wrote: If the ride is opening tomorrow, shouldn't the announcement have already been made?
Not necessarily. Ok so imagine this, If AT were now to announce it would open tomorrow, imagine the endless queues that the ride would get tomorrow. I know they want people to ride it but imagine if it did break down ? All these people that have come to ride it would be left disappointed. Personally , i think they will open it tomorrow quietly and not officially announce it just yet. They will take the 'The smiler is closed' notification off their website and then thats it until maybe next week when they can officially announce it as 'now open'. It would be far too busy tomorrow if they announced it now. Queues 3 hours + ? And then they will be queuing around xsector and that isnt the biggest of areas !! and the rest of the rides will be virtually empty! It looks like its open tomorrow but i dont expect an official announcement just yet.
Senator

Heyy, not a new poster, my old account was TruckAddict, I really do hope The Smiler is open tomorrow because my friend is due to go this weekend and she said she would be distraught if it wasnt..

Thanks NickiFan
Rollercoasters4Life

If it is to open tomorrow I imagine they won't say it is open till the day it actually opens. Why? To make the first day as quiet as possible and then they know for sure there is nothing stopping them such as late hitches. Kind of like how American theme parks do soft openings.

I suspect tomorrow after 10AM that Alton Towers will say:

'The Smiler is now open! Come visit the resort and get Marmalised on the worlds first 14 looping rollercoaster - Dont forget, Smile. Always. =D'
RCT3Bross

I could see that the park is placing it on FB and Twitter tomorrow morning. Something like: "Come today to Alton Towers for The Smiler. Smile Always." Or late today after park hours. (if it does open tomorrow.)
Many signs give tomorrow as the day but I'm keeping a open mind here just in case. ;)