The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Creative05

Have we seen two trains on the track at the same time yet? Or are they still testing one at a time?
Aidan Lowe

Rob over at TowersStreet posted a photo update earlier today which doesn't seem to have been mentioned. Visit this link.

It looks like there are magnetic fins added to the second airtime hill, thought they were there before but seems a new addition.

They have also dug 2 trenches around the shop and pavement, if the breakdown during the press opening was power related it does seem they have placed some kind of box, what it is or what it does I do not know, hope someone can shed some light on it.

I personally think they are opening it too soon it doesn't seem it's quite ready just yet, they should of just gone for Friday 30/31st and given them extra breathing space. But as always they are a company out to make money and I guess the kids breaking up and a bank holiday is too good to miss whether its functional or not, it will draw the punters in.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed May 22, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
hursty

Mabalzich wrote: They have also dug 2 trenches around the shop and pavement, if the breakdown during the press opening was power related it does seem they have placed some kind of box, what it is or what it does I do not know, hope someone can shed some light on it.
That box will be a 'basic' cable joint. Resin filled for insulation and probably rated at around 15/20kW (maybe)

Not sure if that's a new installation - or whether they've dug down to inspect/replace.
bbooth2

have we had any recent confirmation to say that it WILL acctualy be open and functioning tomorrow, obviously I know they said it opens tomorrow it just seems abit quiet on construction side of things, not seen any videos of a car going around since the press breakdown.
MatthewR1990

bbooth2 wrote: have we had any recent confirmation to say that it WILL acctualy be open and functioning tomorrow, obviously I know they said it opens tomorrow it just seems abit quiet on construction side of things, not seen any videos of a car going around since the press breakdown.
As it stands. Their website, adverts and marketing team are all still saying Thursday. So unless there Is a statement declaring otherwise. Then it is still thursday
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
jbuckton18

bbooth2 wrote: have we had any recent confirmation to say that it WILL acctualy be open and functioning tomorrow, obviously I know they said it opens tomorrow it just seems abit quiet on construction side of things, not seen any videos of a car going around since the press breakdown.
Should be open tomorrow. Probably getting everything ready and fault tolerant for tomorrow :) They have done all the testing they need to do so thats why you havent seen anything go round :)
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Dan

I was looking through their tweets and they said "we hope to have it open for 10am however with all rides this is subject to availability"

Presuming all faults have been ironed out then hopefully tomorrow will go smoothly.
Hitch

jbuckton18 wrote:
Should be open tomorrow. Probably getting everything ready and fault tolerant for tomorrow :) They have done all the testing they need to do so thats why you havent seen anything go round :)
I think the reason they wont run it today is because of all the themeing they have to do on the floor, if they sent the trains around it would delay them to much.
Danny

TowersTimes will be live from the Alton Towers Resort today, covering all the build up for the resorts latest rollercoaster. And remember to stay tuned tomorrow as we finally bring you live coverage from the opening of The Smiler!

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/live/
jbuckton18

Danny wrote: TowersTimes will be live from the Alton Towers Resort today, covering all the build up for the resorts latest rollercoaster. And remember to stay tuned tomorrow as we finally bring you live coverage from the opening of The Smiler!

Fantastic !
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Richardio123

Danny wrote: TowersTimes will be live from the Alton Towers Resort today, covering all the build up for the resorts latest rollercoaster. And remember to stay tuned tomorrow as we finally bring you live coverage from the opening of The Smiler!

Oooh :)
Signature Pending.. ;D
schmatt

Latest pic from the TT live feed shows trains on both lift hills at the same time. Think today might be the day we see it dueling!!  :boogy: :boogy: very exciting stuff!!!
RCD27

Woo Dueling!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler
Aidan Lowe

Via TowerTimes Live:

Trains on either lift hill.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Barty

Sorry to go back to this but looking at the pictures from towersstreet of those 4 cameras on the walkway just before the vertical hill do look a though they will do something. They seem to be positioned such that each camera looks at one of the 4 seats in the row of the cars which would suggest they could easily take photos of your face and put them on the marmaliser since the train moves so slow just before the lift Hill
Barty

Mabalzich wrote: Via TowerTimes Live:

Trains on either lift hill.

Looks like dueling is confirmed then:))
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Mabalzich wrote: Rob over at TowersStreet posted a photo update earlier today which doesn't seem to have been mentioned. Visit this link.

It looks like there are magnetic fins added to the second airtime hill, thought they were there before but seems a new addition.

They have also dug 2 trenches around the shop and pavement, if the breakdown during the press opening was power related it does seem they have placed some kind of box, what it is or what it does I do not know, hope someone can shed some light on it.

I personally think they are opening it too soon it doesn't seem it's quite ready just yet, they should of just gone for Friday 30/31st and given them extra breathing space. But as always they are a company out to make money and I guess the kids breaking up and a bank holiday is too good to miss whether its functional or not, it will draw the punters in.
Is it just me or have some of those pictures not fully loaded... The 3rd, the inside of the shop, the stafforshire not and in other..... ( sorry off topic )

I'm worried looks like there's a lot of little things to do, ie queue line and refilling the path, on too little time to do so...
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
RubyGaga

RCandrew wrote: This is a bit off topic, I know, sorry! But it is to do with my visit to ride the smiler and this is a general forum! So;
http://s11.postimg.org/juaki4u2r/image.jpg
Which one of these fast tracks is best to buy? I have only been a few time so don't know what the queues are normally like in Early July, but which of these two is best(has longer normal queues?)

Quick answer please that's all I need :) thanks!
Look around for 50% off coupons first, then you could get both!! :D
Me and my girlfriend are planning on getting both ;)

Image ImageImageImage
ManiaMuse

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Mabalzich wrote: Rob over at TowersStreet posted a photo update earlier today which doesn't seem to have been mentioned. Visit this link.

Is it just me or have some of those pictures not fully loaded... The 3rd, the inside of the shop, the stafforshire not and in other..... ( sorry off topic )

I'm worried looks like there's a lot of little things to do, ie queue line and refilling the path, on too little time to do so...
Plenty of other coaster projects have opened with work still ongoing. Thirteen they even left the scaffolding up...  ;)

It won't be 100% finished tomorrow, but it will be 99% there in the grand scheme of things.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

ManiaMuse wrote:
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:

Plenty of other coaster projects have opened with work still ongoing. Thirteen they even left the scaffolding up...  ;)

It won't be 100% finished tomorrow, but it will be 99% there in the grand scheme of things.
The scaffolding is part of th13teens theming  :D I know werid, I thinks it that it's ment to say people have discovered a new grave type thing  ;) and are excavating it....
And I agree another N:ST moment here I think ;) and I'm going in July with a school trip so hopefully i will get the finished product :moj
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside