The Smiler - Other Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
PSxyz

I've thought of various names too call the smiler mainly when everyone was negative about it (me included) and even thought it's grown on me i still think what would I have called it The Hive? M.A.R. ?

Only now, It was there from the start.
x-sector, military, code, code names, secrets, abbreviations and it's the last secret weapon associated with John Wardley.
It would be a nice little nod too all John for all he's done for AT over the years, it would suit the ride and the area even more so.
SW7
clayj

I don't know if its been mentioned on here but I wonder if AT & the MOJ ever considered Guillaume Duchenne's research into Smiling when developing The Smiler...

Video explaining the research here
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
DeanGaryCox

well we know for sure there's no secret washing machine element... then what are the extra unlockables in the smiler game going to be!?
Image 2014
Andzdrew

There's a barrel roll and 2 dive loops missing from the game, so they will definitely be unlockable. Then you've got the long rumoured (by myself) freefall drop/rollbacks and the "disorientator" in the tunnel, what else can we think of?
Owen

Andzdrew wrote: There's a barrel roll and 2 dive loops missing from the game, so they will definitely be unlockable. Then you've got the long rumoured (by myself) freefall drop/rollbacks and the "disorientator" in the tunnel, what else can we think of?
Or maybe the stage 3 of each of the 5 marmi legs perhaps  :lol:
Andzdrew

Thrillmad wrote:
Andzdrew wrote: There's a barrel roll and 2 dive loops missing from the game, so they will definitely be unlockable. Then you've got the long rumoured (by myself) freefall drop/rollbacks and the "disorientator" in the tunnel, what else can we think of?
World's first top secret, an incremental upgrade to what's already in the game... I really hope not
Owen

Andzdrew wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
World's first top secret, an incremental upgrade to what's already in the game... I really hope not
Well tbh it probs will be as its a major part of the game and
1-last inversion
2-x2 dive loops (or the pretzel as they call it)
3 to 7-stage 3 flasher ect ect
Andzdrew

I really hope not, they can't keep an incremental upgrade as a top secret... But we'll find out soon enough
DaveBear

lol.... hey its fine to speculate ;)

I dont see there being any drop though, and the reasons i feel would be due to the ride time, you see so far none of the POV videos have come to the 165 seconds they have all been longer, now maybe they could speed up the lift hill.

But i feel that by having a free fall drop to then raise you back up, will just add more time to the ride and especially when they may be trying to duel at least 3 cars on the track at one time.

Also i guess there would be no surprise with it, as anyone who is walking past the ride will see the free fall drop.

The ride is how it is, plus the indoor section i think will have lights etc added to be much like the TV Advert.

I  think it will be the Marmaliser and how it interacts that will be the Special thing about this ride.
Phild94

Personally all belief in a SE has been taken away from me.... upon first hearing all the different things being speculated a began to accept and adapt the ideas.... but i think overall.... i am glad to just get an out and out thrill coaster with quite possibly the best layout of any rollercoaster created....

Compact enough to make the ride in itself look interesting .... which i find is a difficult thing to find these days ... a nice compact coaster..... everything gets "bigger and long" ;) let alone to have the marmaliser towering over the track....  but at the end of the day they just become the trademark car park coasters of most american theme parks....

I've said it a million times .... This is going to be a fantastic coaster .... with or without theming .... with or without a swirl on the station ... personally i dont care :D and i'm sure you wont upon your arrival at the gates :D

57 Hrs 49 Minutes

:moj

#getcorrected

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
TheOutpatient

Something we ought to consider:

The indoor barrel roll and the glass floor would have been "secret elemants" had that info not leaked or we hadn't followed the construction so closely. So to say there is no secret element leaves Alton Towers out of a little bit of credit.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
jrch123

TheOutpatient wrote: Something we ought to consider:

The indoor barrel roll and the glass floor would have been "secret elemants" had that info not leaked or we hadn't followed the construction so closely. So to say there is no secret element leaves Alton Towers out of a little bit of credit.
I think the important thing to consider here is that we enthusiasts make up only a tiney portion of those who will visit Alton...and thus most WILL be suprised about the barrell roll..

I will say, that not everything has to have a "Secret Element". I think some people have been expecting too much of the ride after the quite technical (debatable) ride mechanism drop that 13 had. I think its important to remember that the coasters before that had literally been about the layout/ how you sit/ lie down on a ride.

Alton towers clearly wanted to make a kick ass coaster - that could potentially beat nemesis, and what I can see it looks like it is going to be a top contender
glen191

Looking at the pictures of the support at the top of the first lift something is not right no way should it have all them packing washers in it and the bolts look to be a lot smaller to.
bbooth2

they are working on that at the moment I believe
JayJay90

Weather for the day seems to be raining a lot at times :(

Do you reckon that will give delays throughout the day or will rain not matter?
Dan

JayJay90 wrote: Weather for the day seems to be raining a lot at times :(

According to the MET office, it's given a sunny morning and light showers in the afternoon.

I can't imagine the weather having much impact, am I right in thinking that in the first video AT released of it completing the circuit it was raining?
JayJay90

nicksy111 wrote:
JayJay90 wrote: Weather for the day seems to be raining a lot at times :(

According to the MET office, it's given a sunny morning and light showers in the afternoon.

I can't imagine the weather having much impact, am I right in thinking that in the first video AT released of it completing the circuit it was raining?
I feel like whacking my head against my desk aha! I was there on the day it was tested and it was hammering it down so bad and it had tested! silly silly me! XD
RubyGaga

Hey,
I just wanted to get something off my chest,
I think describing the worlds first element of the smiler as 'The worlds first 14 looping coaster' dosent sound right. at all. I think they shouldve marketed it differently, such as 'The most loops in the world', or something. I dont know, I just think '14 looping coaster' sounds wrong. I know that it is technically right, but they shouldve marketed it differently, so make it sound more intense :)

Image ImageImageImage
DaveBear

Well for me its not so much a case of Marketing....

I mean Th13teen had a great Ad Campaign, only problem is it was so well done and very creepy that well it far outdid the Ride, and thats not saying the Ride was bad, just the Adverts was so damn Awesome.

The main thing i feel is that it was labeled under the SW brand of Roller Coasters that since after Nemesis all had something Unique never been done before, and not merely a World Record.  Thats not saying the ride will be bad, far from it, just maybe it wont quite be Worthy of a Worlds First SW brand for just 14 Inversions.

Saying that again Nemesis was the first actual real built SW Coaster and its SW, a Europe's First and not Worlds, but that is not to say that Nemesis does not come close to SW 4,5,6 because it still is to me a much more Thrilling Ride than all those.

My point would be that Rita never had a SW, as all it was is like Nemesis a Europe First or UK should i say First Launched Start, but it still had the Thrill Factor.
Aidan Lowe

Gerry Cannell who play's Dr. Kelman took to twitter earlier this evening and said he will not be at the opening on Thursday which in my opinion is a damn shame. Apparently it was not his call, he would of loved to be there.
To answer all the many messages in one go. "I shall NOT be at the opening of THE SMILER. Thanks everyone.
The powers that be, do not want the Dr or his nurses at the opening. Thank you for your message.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed May 22, 2013 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc