The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
RubyGaga

arsenalfan-1 wrote:
hursty wrote:
nicksy111 wrote: I presume that will just be somewhere for everyone waiting for The Smiler in the morning to queue before it actually opens at 10 as a lot of people will head straight there at 9 o'clock
I'm hoping that's the case!  [-o<

What's the general consensus/thoughts on the maximum waiting time for a full (ie back to the ride entrance) queue? Maybe 2, 2 1/2 hours?
It might be pushing on to 3 hours maybe?
hmmm, if it gets to 3 hours when you queue you may be an unlucky one. I was at Ritas opening day and we queued for 2 hours.

Image ImageImageImage
Andzdrew

There was almost a 4 hour queue for both air and nemesis in June 2002, I expect upto 4 hours for the smiler and oblivion this year
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I'm aware it's a ride opening but I don't think it will be as busy as you might expect. Firstly, it's a weekday so that means many people can't get off work or school. It's currently exam season and I know there's an English exam Thursday, as I'm sitting it, but it also means many other people will be as well. The opening date hasn't been that well publicised, and with adverts possibly due to start tomorrow at the earliest it is unlikely that that will give enough time for people to plan a day out. And finally, it really hasn't been that busy this season anyway.
Dan

lewis97 wrote: I'm aware it's a ride opening but I don't think it will be as busy as you might expect. Firstly, it's a weekday so that means many people can't get off work or school. It's currently exam season and I know there's an English exam Thursday, as I'm sitting it, but it also means many other people will be as well. The opening date hasn't been that well publicised, and with adverts possibly due to start tomorrow at the earliest it is unlikely that that will give enough time for people to plan a day out. And finally, it really hasn't been that busy this season anyway.
My thoughts exactly. The fact is half term the week after may also have an impact as people may have already planned trips for then
RCandrew

lewis97 wrote: I'm aware it's a ride opening but I don't think it will be as busy as you might expect. Firstly, it's a weekday so that means many people can't get off work or school. It's currently exam season and I know there's an English exam Thursday, as I'm sitting it, but it also means many other people will be as well. The opening date hasn't been that well publicised, and with adverts possibly due to start tomorrow at the earliest it is unlikely that that will give enough time for people to plan a day out. And finally, it really hasn't been that busy this season anyway.
I was thinking that, and also it being a week day it will be busy, but not too busy and then at the weekend it will be busy, but not too busy because people will have went on the day, so maybe the busy-ness will kind of spread out more rather than one/two hectic days?
RubyGaga

RCandrew wrote:
I was thinking that, and also it being a week day it will be busy, but not too busy and then at the weekend it will be busy, but not too busy because people will have went on the day, so maybe the busy-ness will kind of spread out more rather than one/two hectic days?
IMO itll be more busy on the Friday onwards. Theres also the sun free tickets that are designated to dates during the half term. Ive booked to go after half term in the hopes of that it wont be as busy

Image ImageImageImage
Adam

I think the choice of day to open was very clever. It won't be overly busy but gives them 2 days to get the throughput right and staff used to the ride before it starts to get busy over the weekend and half term.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
RCandrew

Just saw a picture on towers street forum and to see the SW7 you have to look at it from a certain point to see it ;)
bigstanny

http://tinyurl.com/aecmkwh Just for the record, Have a read of that and try telling me the colour Yellow is tacky, or doesn't fit in with the theme or has no relevance.

Edit

This is for those who doubt the yellow, or feel it is wrong.
lighty89

RCandrew wrote: Just saw a picture on towers street forum and to see the SW7 you have to look at it from a certain point to see it ;)
I have just looked and cant't see what you mean?
Which picture and where do I look?
RCandrew

lighty89 wrote:
RCandrew wrote: Just saw a picture on towers street forum and to see the SW7 you have to look at it from a certain point to see it ;)
I have just looked and cant't see what you mean?
Which picture and where do I look?
I don't know if I can do this but here's the link to the page:
http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/planni ... rt-2/2610/

17th picture I think!

Credit to stretchy who posted them!
The Earl

Don't know if this has been shared, but judging by the views it's probably not been seen by us enthusiasts yet.

Enjoy

Benji

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=s0zIiwlj ... 0zIiwlj3X4

The station looks amazing <3

Also it looks like the lights come on when the ride begins!
Last edited by Benji on Sun May 19, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Static Veins

Benji wrote: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=s0zIiwlj ... 0zIiwlj3X4

Also it looks like lights flash when the ride begins!
Wow! When those surgical lights come on and illuminate the train (lasts too long to be a flash) as it begins to leave the station... Now that's a neat touch.
clayj

How many times does he check the restraint ?!?!?
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Static Veins

clayj wrote:

How many times does he check the restraint ?!?!?
He really doesn't look like he's enjoying the experience! His facial expressions are hilarious.
Benji

Static Veins wrote:

Wow! When those surgical lights come on and illuminate the train (lasts too long to be a flash) as it begins to leave the station... Now that's a neat touch.
I just hope they switch the lights of in the tunnel part and make it dark

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Barty

Also it looks like the lights come on when the ride begins!
Brilliant video!
Really shows how good this ride is! Loving the sound effects and lighting and loving the fact that he looks like he is going to throw up at any minute haha! Also confirms where the on ride photo is and that the inside is still in progress.  However I don't think they will give any of the inside sections secrets away until the opening day...

never been so excited for a rollercoaster in my life, if looks amazing :))
dominoes

If they have parquet flooring in there... <3

Btw, are the yellow metal bits on the side of the train normal on eurofighter style trains? Cause I don't recognise it...
temleh

Anybody else hear the loud laughing and "NO!", "RUN!" at the bottom of the first lift? :)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay