The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Phild94

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
andy86 wrote: I think it seems to be coming along well, my only gripe is queue line snack huts. They hold up the queue halfway through if somebody is buying and if there isn't enough bins the queue line will become filthy, as some people will have zero respect and just throw it on the floor! Alton Towers please leave snack huts outside queue lines...
Although I agree that snack huts do hold up the queue... I have to say 1hr 30 into a 3 hr wait it will be seen as an absolute oasis :)....

The 1 thing I truly hate is when the queue overtakes you whilst you order something.... You're pushed 15/20 mins behind and they make up 2/3 places in the queue :/ anyway that is a rant for another time and another topic :)
No you are absolutely right. You should definitively hold the 400 people behind you up whilst you get yourself a bag of malteasers, how dare they not wait for you.
All I meant is that they wait the equal amount of time minus 2 places in the queue whilst you're about to pass out from thirst due to standing in the sun for 1hr 30.....thereby making you wait a further 15/20 minutes......  Or you hold up the queue for possibly 2 minute whilst you gets drink.... Anyway if you wanna moan about queueline snacks can we take it to pm XD

Sorry to sound like and arse but my friend is diabetic so when they go hypo they need something to eat you would be surprised how useful they can be :) sorry if this sounded like a rant.....

Moving on... Has there been any daytime testing of track yet?

The longer I don't see this running through the day the longer I think they're hiding something from us :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Evostance

Phild94 wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
Phild94 wrote: Although I agree that snack huts do hold up the queue... I have to say 1hr 30 into a 3 hr wait it will be seen as an absolute oasis :)....

The 1 thing I truly hate is when the queue overtakes you whilst you order something.... You're pushed 15/20 mins behind and they make up 2/3 places in the queue :/ anyway that is a rant for another time and another topic :)
No you are absolutely right. You should definitively hold the 400 people behind you up whilst you get yourself a bag of malteasers, how dare they not wait for you.
All I meant is that they wait the equal amount of time minus 2 places in the queue whilst you're about to pass out from thirst due to standing in the sun for 1hr 30.....thereby making you wait a further 15/20 minutes......  Or you hold up the queue for possibly 2 minute whilst you gets drink.... Anyway if you wanna moan about queueline snacks can we take it to pm XD

Sorry to sound like and arse but my friend is diabetic so when they go hypo they need something to eat you would be surprised how useful they can be :) sorry if this sounded like a rant.....

The longer I don't see this running through the day the longer I think they're hiding something from us :/
I have to agree on that one as my girlfriend is as well. 
MatthewR1990

Phild94 wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
Phild94 wrote: Although I agree that snack huts do hold up the queue... I have to say 1hr 30 into a 3 hr wait it will be seen as an absolute oasis :)....

I have a family of diabetics. If your friend went hypo then your friend should have some glucose tablets at hand, you can't presume you can get to a shop when a diabetic is going hypo. Do not try a d take the moral high ground of "helping a friend" those stands are for people's convenience. Why should others wait on you when YOU choose to use these conveniences.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
jbuckton18

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote: No you are absolutely right. You should definitively hold the 400 people behind you up whilst you get yourself a bag of malteasers, how dare they not wait for you.

I have a family of diabetics. If your friend went hypo then your friend should have some glucose tablets at hand, you can't presume you can get to a shop when a diabetic is going hypo. Do not try a d take the moral high ground of "helping a friend" those stands are for people's convenience. Why should others wait on you when YOU choose to use these conveniences.
Now now ladies ... put them handbags away ! Stop discussing 'moral high grounds' and talking about diabetes because this is a forum based on 'The Smiler' not the flippin' NHS!! Come on seriously !
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Phild94

We shall agree to disagree.... But I have to say at least this one is themed :)

And as said before has there been any daytime testing yet?

If not are there any reasons why not?
And if not those, then what are they hiding? :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
bbooth2

surely goin past someone whilst they are IN the Queue is queue jumping no matter what the circumstance, just because they are at a stall doesn't mean they have left the queue, realy rustles my jimmy's when someone does that I think its quite rude.
Rollercoasters4Life

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote: No you are absolutely right. You should definitively hold the 400 people behind you up whilst you get yourself a bag of malteasers, how dare they not wait for you.

Why should you lose your spot in the queue though? If there was no shops in queues then people would just hang on and wait till they are off the ride. But thats the thing, parks put them in to be used. You are not going anywhere faster by moving past someone else or overtake one set of people. It's just common decency to wait behind the person till they are finished. After all they have been waiting just as long as you. You achieve literally nothing by pushing past them - in essence its queue jumping. The parks put them there to be used and when people use them then they shouldn't be punished by losing their spot - if they left the queue to go and get something then they should, but in this case they shouldn't.

Holding a queue up for a few minutes at a time really adds to your queuing time doesn't it? - Nope it doesn't. It doesn't make one blind bit of difference. You will either be stood where you are for a few minutes or just slowly shuffling forward. It annoys the hell out of me when people walk past the people ordering things as it doesn't affect whether they are stood behind them waiting or in front of them...waiting! Just wait for them to finish then move forward with them.

To clarify, you gain nothing, and the person loses their spot - hardly a win for any party and is just pointless. You ride queue time will still be the same and if anything that big leap in movement will make the queue seem faster just as when you don't move seems slower.

Oh, and this is coming from someone that has never bought anything from a queue line kiosk too.

---

On topic, I am guessing our only chance of seeing anything on site today will be from a member as none of the major fan sites outlets are on park it seems. Can't wait to see this thing duelling with itself! 10 days and counting... :D
SwEDEN

Guys, let's not get angry on this cold, cold, wet day where there's no fun to be had and no games to play!

On a serious note, to keep this topic rolling, do you think anything more is going to be done to the half way corrected point? As for now I think it looks a little bland, i'm not being negative, just stating my opinion and trying to keep the conversation going!
DaveBear

My stance on the que and ordering is well if you did stop then people go past i guess thats part of the parcel.

What gets my wound up, is when some people push past with food saying just got to join up with my friends can i come through, when some well they buy something as a excuse to then push down the line.  I happened to me before a group of 3 pushed past as they had ice creams as if they was going to join their friends in front.  Then as the que snaked around so that they are a fair number of places in front but actually now on other side of the que pens (i am on about Rita Ride) and we could see those 3 clearly was not part of any group near them they was just talking to each other and thus may have jumped past about 70 people for nothing lol

Got some angry but, me oh well it happens and would i really effect how soon i got on ride? Not really.
Lucieloo

Probably at the half way bit there will be some noise.music.. tension building or something.. depends if you sit at the bottom for a while for any reason..?
Cant wait to see this ride.. I doubt anything will prepare me! Will def need a bevvy before riding it lol
The colour is incredibly striking as well..
Last edited by Lucieloo on Mon May 13, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
dazza4783

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
andy86 wrote: I think it seems to be coming along well, my only gripe is queue line snack huts. They hold up the queue halfway through if somebody is buying and if there isn't enough bins the queue line will become filthy, as some people will have zero respect and just throw it on the floor! Alton Towers please leave snack huts outside queue lines...
Although I agree that snack huts do hold up the queue... I have to say 1hr 30 into a 3 hr wait it will be seen as an absolute oasis :)....

No you are absolutely right. You should definitively hold the 400 paying cutsomers behind you up whilst you get yourself a bag of malteasers, how dare they not wait for you.
Well it isn't really holding anyone up, unless you are waiting so long to be served at the kiosk that whoever was behind you could have made it to the front of the queue and been on the ride by the time you have been served. Waiting behind people while they go to the shop isn't going to add any time whatsoever to your queue time given that you will still have another hour or so to wait even if you do push past them. So there is really no excuse for queue jumping past someone who goes to it.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coastercrazy18

Please make another topic about this deue line discution. In my opinion i think its stupid to put shops in the i would hace the at the enterance exit so then there would lesser arguiments with people are queing on there own opinions. Now please stop its driving us crazy lol. I think the half way point dos need a bit more to it. Something someone talking to you.
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
Nathan Clulow97

Final video on alton towers
GigaSurimi

coastercrazy18 wrote: Please make another topic about this deue line discution. In my opinion i think its stupid to put shops in the i would hace the at the enterance exit so then there would lesser arguiments with people are queing on there own opinions. Now please stop its driving us crazy lol. I think the half way point dos need a bit more to it. Something someone talking to you.
Some people are stupid enough to be willing to buy overpriced drinks or snacks in a queue shop, so it's only fair enough that AT tries to make some more money on them. Concerning people arguing about whether you should make other people "wait" or not, this is just plain stupid and useless, as said by Rollercoasters4Life earlier. But what can you do, people love to complain...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the cars duelling (if there is any duelling at all that is)!
Danny

Is there any towers times members on site today?
bbooth2

I think the point is that you shouldn't be penalized for being thirsty.
Sam198

Can I ask that we put a stop to discussion regarding queue line snack outlets in this topic? Feel free to start a designated thread in the Alton Towers General section of the forum, if you so wish. :)

Thanks!
----reece----

Is there any videos of them duelling or any more videos of testing since AT released there videos?
mrpwing

It's amazing, been following the construction of this thing since the moment SW7 was announced (shoulda signed up to this site sooner!) and the day of reckoning is finally almost here!

So completely stoked, going on the 24th an staying over in the resort (had it booked since feb!) so at least I get to enter park at 9am both days to start/join the queue!

My aim is to endure it at least 4 times over the 2 days... (As well as everything else there!)
Phantom Made and Seldom Seen
JAMMYD777

The banners have been removed from more of the fencing and there has finally been some planting and landscaping. It looks so much nicer now.

Credit: Theme Park Worldwide

Last edited by JAMMYD777 on Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW7: