Going to Towers alone...

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ScreamForMe

Hi all, long time lurker but thought I could do with some friendly advice.  :D

Basically My girlfriend and I both brought a Merlin annual pass during the January sale. Unfortunately we've now split up. I've yet to use my annual pass and she was the only person who was/would be willing to come to these attractions with me so now I have to go alone.

I'm considering going to Alton Towers this Sunday as I really want to try out the Sanctuary but I think I'm going to feel rather uncomfortable throughout the day. I know there are single rider queues I can use and I could use the "my friend is too scared to come with me..." whilst in the Sanctuary. Overall though, has anybody visited or regularly visits alone? What is the experience like and how can I make it an enjoyable day. I am quite a shy person. I may make this a regular thing when The Smiler opens as I only live a hour away.

We also planned a weekend in London to see Green Day soon and intended to use our passes to do all the attractions down there. I'll be doing that alone too but I think i'll be more comfortable looking around Madame Tussauds, the Eye and the Dungeons alone. Maybe she'll come around by then.  :lol:
Kirsty25

I would just go and think what the heck - you might meet someone new :)
themightyman

I only live about 20 minuets away and have a MAP, don't worry about going alone most of my trips a year are on my own, the best thing about it is you can go at your own pace and don't have to worry what everyone else wants to do.

And there's also the perk of the single rider que's, and who knows you might sit next to an attractive person :p
xbox gamertag - harmless muppet
Lee

I've done alton a few times on my own for various reasons and been fine with it. It's a great opportunity for taking photos and just spending some me time. This does heavily rely on you enjoying or being comfortable in your own company all day.

I'd say go for it. If you find you don't like it, just leave. You haven't lost anything  ;)
Kirsty25

themightyman wrote: I only live about 20 minuets away and have a MAP, don't worry about going alone most of my trips a year are on my own, the best thing about it is you can go at your own pace and don't have to worry what everyone else wants to do.

And there's also the perk of the single rider que's, and who knows you might sit next to an attractive person :p
Or you end up sat next to someone like me :P lol

I was in normal queue and got a nice guy from single riders next to me though, had a good chat to him!
Lee

I can't believe I didn't say this. Or you could keep an eye out on the towers times meet calendar for main meets and mini meets. They happen all year round. That way you can still go if you don't feel comfortable on your own  :D
clayj

Last time I was at DLP with my wife & son, he wasn't able to get on Space Mountain so I went on when by myself as there was no que... Slightly awkward that when they guy who sat next to me insisted in trying to talk to me in French (which I dont understand) lol

Oh, then there was time I went on Thirteen via single rider with a mate of mine to get on quicker... We were placed with two very hot women who were also single rides in a group of three... They suggested swopping, which I though where could this go wrong, till the ride op got involved & swopped me with their extremely camp & gay best friend.... Kinda got awkward as he continued to scream, squeal & pant throughout the ride untill the drop section. At which point he threw his arms around me !!
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
KittyKat

Just go with the flow. You'll be surprised with how many people do visit alone. :) You won't be the only one!

P.S. ALTON ADVERT ON TV!
ScreamForMe

Thanks everyone. I browse the forum most days but I'll have to become a more prolific poster then I'll consider a mini-meet when I'm more familiar across the forum. Yeah I'm going to just go for it. I'm happy in my own company mostly but I know I'll stick out like a sore thumb queuing for most things on my own. Slightly conscious of that. Interesting story on Thirteen there. It would be great if I pulled somehow or got seated next to a hot girl whilst I am there.  :lol:
KittyKat

ScreamForMe wrote: Thanks everyone. I browse the forum most days but I'll have to become a more prolific poster then I'll consider a mini-meet when I'm more familiar across the forum. Yeah I'm going to just go for it. I'm happy in my own company mostly but I know I'll stick out like a sore thumb queuing for most things on my own. Slightly conscious of that. Interesting story on Thirteen there. It would be great if I pulled somehow or got seated next to a hot girl whilst I am there.  :lol:
Can't comment as I've never met anyone on this forum (at least I don't think I have) but just bite the bullet and attend a meet. I'm sure everyone is lovely. :) Plus, it's an excuse to visit more!
jackgcse

Unlike the Cinema, Theatre or other such trips, lets be fair you are on a ride you are not going to talk to anyone, and to be fair, I do it all the time, I even do it when I have a group to go with, I bugger off after the first few rides and go round on my own, it makes it a whole lot easier and you can do everything at your own pace! LOL ;)
Hokeystokie

I go alone all the time take you time just browsing, single rider I find it relaxing going alone
DrReeve

ScreamForMe wrote: Thanks everyone. I browse the forum most days but I'll have to become a more prolific poster then I'll consider a mini-meet when I'm more familiar across the forum. Yeah I'm going to just go for it. I'm happy in my own company mostly but I know I'll stick out like a sore thumb queuing for most things on my own. Slightly conscious of that. Interesting story on Thirteen there. It would be great if I pulled somehow or got seated next to a hot girl whilst I am there.  :lol:
or more than likely sit next to a not so hot girl.
Image credit to Lewis97
Horse500

Whilst I visited the park with some family members yesterday I did go off on my own to do the big rides as they have small children.

Using the single rider queues on nemesis and thirteen was a god send as i walked straight on each time and bypassed the main queue.  I managed to get on each eight times and sonic spinball was the same, they were looking for single riders all the time.  Air was slightly different as that took a while, but only about ten minutes.  I didn't feel odd in the least and had a good chat to whoever I was sat next to.
ScreamForMe

Thanks all I am definitely going this Sunday now seeing as the Sanctuary is closing. I'm hoping and assuming the Smiler will have a single rider queue too which will be ideal for my next visit. I have a premium pass too so free parking and it will be a cheap day apart from the petrol and some discounted food.  :D I'll have a look aroumd the gardens and towers too, taking some photos. I would also like to visit the Chained Oak as I'd never have the chance visiting with others. I know the location is to be kept relatively secret on the forum but is it quite easy to find?
Benjsh

I went a few years ago on my own (The only time I have ever done it) as I was In the midlands for work and managed to squeeze in a day at the park. It was bliss.

The park was fairly quiet. It was about 22 Degrees with hardly a cloud in the sky. Managed about 7 or 8 goes on Nemesis, and a couple each on all the other major rides. I took my Ipod and just listened to music in between rides.

However, if the park is really busy, I suspect it could be rather different. Standing in long queues on your own can't be fun for anyone.

Go for it. You'll have a good day.
Pennywise

I'm always happy to visit Alton Towers alone if I get the opportunity and it's convenient for me. When you have an annual pass it's actually a very cheap and enjoyable expenditure of time and you'll be surprised how different experiences at the park can be when visiting alone compared to with friends, with family or on an enthusiast meet such as those run by TTF.

It's good to see the park in a different light every now and again and do things at your own pace - plus being able to utilise the single rider queues is an excellent advantage.

:D
AdamFTM

If I didn't live in the north east of England and had a annual pass, you bet your bottom dollar I'd go to alton towers by myself, it would be awesome do what you want go to get food where ever you want without people complaining and single rider queues is a great idea, you may find a new girl on your travels :)
Xbox Gamertag: SimmDog xD
ManiaMuse

I say do it. I've only ever done Universal Studios Singapore on my own but that was still fun (helped that the park was completely empty and I could do laps of the coasters). In some ways it was more fun because I didn't have to worry about what other people wanted to do.

Alton Towers has decent single rider queues so you could probably whore more rides on your own than you usually would with a group, even during busy periods.

Thorpe Park on the other hand.....apparently they got rid of all their single riders queues this year so I wouldn't recommend that on your own especially on a busy day.
Luce

I can echo what the others have said - I've been to AT many times on my own before and it's nice to take the park at your own pace.  I love going by myself but also love being with friends as you can still enjoy yourself but in different ways :)