The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
clayj

John's inspiration for the Smiler lol

[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
118hazaman

clayj wrote: John's inspiration for the Smiler lol

That and wire wool. Don't forget the wire wool.
Phild94

Or this

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
clayj

Phild94 wrote:

Or this

No, that was Collosus' inspiration as its just repetition of the same inversion lol
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Phild94

clayj wrote:
Phild94 wrote:

Or this

No, that was Collosus' inspiration as its just repetition of the same inversion lol
Too right XD

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
AdrenalineAlex

THIS LOOKS CRAZYYYYYY - excitement is really starting to set in now :D
Nathan Clulow97

Alton towers will be closed today due to over 2 foot in peek this will affect construction ON THE smiler
mattallennet

Lots of white stuff in Uttoxeter today, hope there's plenty they can get on with....
Evostance

Nathan Clulow97 wrote: Alton towers will be closed today due to over 2 foot in peek this will affect construction ON THE smiler
Don't you just love these random statements of fact that have nothing to back them up.

If you're going to come "scaremongering"  at least provide a source

For a start, you have no proof, and their twitter feed actually states they are assessing the situation.  2 foot in peek?  If you mean snow  then I'd love to see that.  We never get that much snow up here.

Second of all, snow does not stop construction at this stage unless it is dangerous to be in site.  There are still plenty of things that can be done such as interior work, electrics, wiring etc
ollboll9

Evostance wrote:
Nathan Clulow97 wrote: Alton towers will be closed today due to over 2 foot in peek this will affect construction ON THE smiler
Don't you just love these random statements of fact that have nothing to back them up.

For a start, you have no proof, and their twitter feed actually states they are assessing the situation.  2 foot in peek?  If you mean snow  then I'd love to see that.  We never get that much snow up here.

Second of all, snow does not stop construction at this stage unless it is dangerous to be in site.  There are still plenty of things that can be done such as interior work, electrics, wiring etc
its been on the news also they were in Uttoxeter and i thought oh yeah rub it in my face that constructions probably going to slow down  :x :x :cry:
Poop. Always
Evostance

ollboll9 wrote:
Evostance wrote:

its been on the news also they were in Uttoxeter and i thought oh yeah rub it in my face that constructions probably going to slow down  :x :x :cry:
Now the official announcement:
Due to weather conditions, Alton Towers will not be opening today (22/03/2013). Pre-booked tickets for today will valid for another day.
PhNx Survivor

I'd like to see a picture of The Smiler in the snow again :) Hope AT can do that sometime today, would be pretty cool.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Benjsh

A June opening looking ever more likely by the day especially if this winter never ends.
MatthewR1990

Benjsh wrote: A June opening looking ever more likely by the day especially if this winter never ends.
Ye' have little faith. Please bare in mind that snow is only a problem for ground work and making materials set. I believe it is still quite easy to continue erecting steel. Bearing in mind that all footers appear to be done. You can also note that the station building is quite whole so interior work and such could also be continued. The only thing that will halt construction to a total stop would be if the workers can't actually get to location.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
altontowerskid

The ride its self is looking fantastic but what a shoddy job they've done constructing it.
Misplaced footer which would have caused a "headchopper" support along the path, striking Blivvy's foundations, squeezing in supports and very lengthy groundwork delays - how do they think coasters are constructed through winter in places such as Germany... Anyway, probably goes without saying our construction industry isn't the greatest, as it was once :)

Although these weather conditions aren't ideal, I'm sure they've got the time to get it open for 2 months time!!
JonoD

MatthewR1990 wrote: Ye' have little faith. Please bare in mind that snow is only a problem for ground work and making materials set. I believe it is still quite easy to continue erecting steel. Bearing in mind that all footers appear to be done. You can also note that the station building is quite whole so interior work and such could also be continued. The only thing that will halt construction to a total stop would be if the workers can't actually get to location.
I don't know much about construction practices, but what about construction vehicles such as cranes and earth movers? I can't imagine it would be particularly safe to move larger vehicles like that very far, especially if the crane needs to move about to get the best possible position for steel lifts and such.
clayj

altontowerskid wrote: The ride its self is looking fantastic but what a shoddy job they've done constructing it.
Misplaced footer which would have caused a "headchopper" support along the path, striking Blivvy's foundations, squeezing in supports and very lengthy groundwork delays - how do they think coasters are constructed through winter in places such as Germany... Anyway, probably goes without saying our construction industry isn't the greatest, as it was once :)

Although these weather conditions aren't ideal, I'm sure they've got the time to get it open for 2 months time!!
Lighten up, less of the boom & gloom... Also, please don't quote another memebers singular post as gospal truth (striking blivvy's foundation)
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Benjsh

JonoD wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote: Ye' have little faith. Please bare in mind that snow is only a problem for ground work and making materials set. I believe it is still quite easy to continue erecting steel. Bearing in mind that all footers appear to be done. You can also note that the station building is quite whole so interior work and such could also be continued. The only thing that will halt construction to a total stop would be if the workers can't actually get to location.
I don't know much about construction practices, but what about construction vehicles such as cranes and earth movers? I can't imagine it would be particularly safe to move larger vehicles like that very far, especially if the crane needs to move about to get the best possible position for steel lifts and such.

Correct !!!

We live in a world of health and safety gone mad. I bet there's hardly anything going on today construction wise.

It's a bloody rollercoaster (I know) when all is said and done. They aren't going to risk somebody's life to rush to get it open in May.

Operating heavy machinery and cranes in strong winds with limited visability is hardly the brighest idea.
Rollercoasters4Life

Just because there is snow on park doesn't mean there is no work going on, on site. The only way no work would be going on at all is if they told the construction workers not to bother coming in due to the poor state of the roads leading to the park. Although, the workers might already of got to the park before Alton Towers decided to shut the park.

Anyone know what time the construction workers have been getting there? If the workers are there then work can continue on the station and other little areas, then when the snow recedes they can start lifting which I would of thought it would be fine by mid-day or just past mid-day. Anyone near Alton Towers available to take a picture of where they are so we can see how deep the snow is?

This could even be a godsend for Alton Towers in a way in terms of construction. It would be the ideal time to get the bunny hills up if they need the crane off to the side of the site as there will be no public there and they can move the crane to the pathway if needs be. Obviously, this all relies on the workers being on site and the snow clearing a bit to be workable.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

They will most likely put effort into working on sealing the station in [due to all that scaffolding up, they were bound to start any time soon anyway] and put all their efforts into building structure if they can't get track up. For anybody to suddenly say due to the amount of snow today that the ride will be delayed until June is insane. The track is very nearly complete, and we'll no doubt see the first pull through of the train in the first week of April, meaning it will be well on time for a late May opening.