The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
getothing

Today MI7 Lets go to update ?
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Danny

MI7 can't get up in the air today due to the weather [and he's been trying all week, but the weather simply hasn't been playing ball with him]. As soon as he can smell a good time to fly however, we promise he'll be up and getting more photos :)
Phild94

Danny wrote: MI7 can't get up in the air today due to the weather [and he's been trying all week, but the weather simply hasn't been playing ball with him]. As soon as he can smell a good time to fly however, we promise he'll be up and getting more photos :)
Ever thought about launching your own TT satellite to constantly watch over the towers...... MI7 could set up base there haha 

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
ManiaMuse

Phild94 wrote:
I think i possibly disagree with is that maybe not having a launch but possibly not a standard chain lift either..... maybe a controlled launch all the way up the lift hill LIMs at a constant speed up the hill (silent lift hill with a controllable outcome speed)
Something like this maybe?  http://rcdb.com/4328.htm?p=44296

I've been on it and it's quite fun, like a tame launch that kicks in half way up the lift but is obviously controlled to give a set speed over the crest of the hill.

I doubt Alton will do a launched lift though as LSM launches are quite electricity hungry and energy is a bit more expensive in this part of the world.
Phild94

ManiaMuse wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
I think i possibly disagree with is that maybe not having a launch but possibly not a standard chain lift either..... maybe a controlled launch all the way up the lift hill LIMs at a constant speed up the hill (silent lift hill with a controllable outcome speed)
Something like this maybe?  http://rcdb.com/4328.htm?p=44296

I've been on it and it's quite fun, like a tame launch that kicks in half way up the lift but is obviously controlled to give a set speed over the crest of the hill.

I doubt Alton will do a launched lift though as LSM launches are quite electricity hungry and energy is a bit more expensive in this part of the world.
They've already put in another substation for power .... and i suppose if they did that then why not use a wheel system like Th13teen :/ ignore my comment then XD

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
JayJay90

getothing wrote: Today MI7 Lets go to update ?
its pretty foggy and cloudy over here in staffordshire so im guessing its the same up over alton too, plus we've only recently had some updates from AT themselves so the longer MI7 leaves it, the more we will see completed
eyeamthu1

samtummo wrote: My two cents worth in regards to a possible SE, is that we won't get one per se. The idea of a washing machine element will not happen. As previously explained TT 'knew' about the inversion record and at the time could not fathom where 6/7 extra inversions would come from - thus the idea of a washing machine element was put forward. A launch is also very unlikely for several reasons. Not only would this make the first part of the ride uncomfortable, it would be near impossible to run any type of duelling element. I would also say any 4D element on the cars themselves will not happen, I've no supporting evidence for this, but just think the level of maintenance required on any such cars would be detrimental to the smooth day-to-day operations.

My personal opinion would be that after the drop out of the station and the underground barrell roll, the car will move slowly through a room/chamber initiating the 5 Marmalisation elements that will later be triggered during the ride. Whilst this may not be the SE the enthusiasts desire, I think other areas of the ride outweigh the need for one. I mean lets not be fussy, this thing is going to break the inversion record, possibly have some of the most interesting duelling elements ever seen - all of which has been provided on a tiny footprint in major rollercoaster terms.
Good post. I also think there'll be something in between barrel roll and 1st lift - not a secret element as such, but maybe a special effects 'room'. They're obviously going all out on theme for this one, and there seems to be space for SOMETHING there (albeit not a washing machine element, thankfully). From what we've heard about the '5 stages of marmalisation', two of them sound soooo much like the '4D elements' on Nemesis- Sub Terra...

"The Inoculator - a jab of happiness as you pass by stage one of the Marmalisation process"
"The Tickler - aims to tickle you until you cant resist smiling"
- SURELY these relate to a back-prodder and leg-ticklers? And the fact that they're mentioned as 'stage one' in the process implies early on in the ride. My guess is that the 'secret element' or the 'world first' is this special effects room, where the 4D effects will be triggered, constituting of on-board effects and then some external effects. Any on-board effects would have to happen in this 'room' - can't happen mid-ride! (Having 4D effects on the trains would be a world-first, but then the inversions is world-beating, so this'd then make sense why Alton would use both terms!) I'd really love a launch to happen after, but probably unlikely.

Continuing in order of effects, it sounds like 'the Flasher' is a light under one of the 'spider legs'... and then we have the laughing gas (could be smoke in a pit?), and then we reach the Hypnotiser feature, which I reckon could be at the foot of (or even as you go up) the vertical lift ... it seems to tie in. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Sorry, I've perhaps strayed into speculation, but just wanted to follow up the good post!
MatthewR1990

Could the tickler just be bits of thread and material hanging from the ceiling as you pass.  the jab Could be a back poker but the mechanism could be under the cart triggered by a pully on the track or something so as to avoid the need for electrics etc in the train. The gas could just be the room filled with smoke. The flasher would be just that. Strobes and stuff flashing you. All this happening whilst travelling slowly though that indoor bit after the barrel roll. It could have lots of theming elements and menacing music. Or even a nice loud VoiceOver screwing with you before you leave. Then you would enter a lift hill that would briskly pull you to the top and boom your in the middle of that brilliant looking layout.  I actually think that would be brilliant. You'd have the fear whilst queuing. That mad drop and roll as you leave the station, you would then go through the above stage and freak you out more. And then you are Pulled to the top of the hill whilst looking to your right at a behemoth mass of steel and loops. Whilst hearing the screams of the other people already on the track. Then away you go....
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
getothing

I think I understand how this will work and the meaning of many inversiones.Cuando crossed several investments go into a kind of disorder, of not knowing if you're upside down or right side up, and this will have an impact but very extreme sensation
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
ethanthecoasterfreak

MatthewR1990 wrote: Could the tickler just be bits of thread and material hanging from the ceiling as you pass.
Pretty sure they can't do that as there's a small chance it'll get caught on jewellery and other things on riders...
Deejay

ethanthecoasterfreak wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote: Could the tickler just be bits of thread and material hanging from the ceiling as you pass.
Pretty sure they can't do that as there's a small chance it'll get caught on jewellery and other things on riders...

Maybe they will have those car-wash arms as ticklers like on the imagery for the spider. Have them under the seat and they start spinning when activated? What do you think?
Altontowersbarlow

Yes but only if they did it in the dark as otherwise it could be tacky.
Evostance

DeeJayUK wrote:
ethanthecoasterfreak wrote:

Maybe they will have those car-wash arms as ticklers like on the imagery for the spider. Have them under the seat and they start spinning when activated? What do you think?
Same as above.  Shoe laces, ankle braces etcher caught
Nocama

A long time ago I posted about the 4d trains and I believe that it could be worlds first element of the ride! If you look at some of the advertising there seems to be small gas canisters on the side of the trains and seems as there is no oth restraints this could be the back prodder. I think the gas will be a burst of air in the face of riders from the seat in front. I can't see why they would not do this... It's certainly a worlds first and something that has never been done before by any roller coaster!
@jordywilsonmcr :)
truckaddict

Towers2Go have put a status on Facebook saying that The Sun have something in there terms and conditions saying that The Smiler will be open on 18th May, and it is just in time for May Half Term, what do you think?

Sorry if in wrong topic.

Bi and proud
spark

Nocama wrote: A long time ago I posted about the 4d trains and I believe that it could be worlds first element of the ride! If you look at some of the advertising there seems to be small gas canisters on the side of the trains and seems as there is no oth restraints this could be the back prodder. I think the gas will be a burst of air in the face of riders from the seat in front. I can't see why they would not do this... It's certainly a worlds first and something that has never been done before by any roller coaster!
I was thinking along the lines of this for perhaps the tickling part, rather than the string from the ceiling or something like that, having air blown at u from all angles would perhaps give a similar sensation?
Osaka12

I reckon the tickler will be small jets of air tickling the back of your neck as you pass by distracting you from the upcoming inversion or drop.

the other "marmalising" effects will be similar, e.g. The flasher strobing you (obviously not too intense), the innoculator either prodding you via the train or providing a near miss and the spiral's distracting/hypnotising etc.

JW and the ride designers have clearly gone out to make the "ultimate" roller coaster and i think they may have pulled it off.
I have ridden some of america's/Japans biggest and the non themed/car park style is a massive turn off and can kill a ride dead. The Smiler is a full bodied beast, clever and looks madly intense. No one does engineering like us Brits!.. Fact!

(apologies for posting in construction thread)
Trisnie

truckaddict wrote: Towers2Go have put a status on Facebook saying that The Sun have something in there terms and conditions saying that The Smiler will be open on 18th May, and it is just in time for May Half Term, what do you think?

Sorry if in wrong topic.
The Sun have said the Smiller won't be available in the periods before the 18th May is all they have said
Instant Mix

The only problem with "the flasher" is that it won't be bright enough. Like, riders wouldn't notice it at all. There must be something built into the train to flash.
JayJay90

truckaddict wrote: Towers2Go have put a status on Facebook saying that The Sun have something in there terms and conditions saying that The Smiler will be open on 18th May, and it is just in time for May Half Term, what do you think?

Sorry if in wrong topic.
Alton Towers tweeted towers 2 go to confirm there was no confirmed opening date set for The Smiler