Random ideas

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Captain Chimp

This one is more of an IP random idea - A wingrider themed around How to Train Your Dragon.  With a sequel in production (as well as a number of books in the series, ensuring a bit of longevity, as Dreamworks have the option to film them all), it'd be awesome promotion.  Also, the theming could be brilliant (incorporating the dragons into both the queues and ride experience); and using tracks from the score in the queue lines would be great for getting the ol' blood pumping. 
MattsDesigns

You could ride a dragon. For a start that's a very appropriate simile for a roller coaster. Always wanted to compare coasters to flying on dragons even though I'm not into dragons and crystals.

And how old is that blonde girl in it supposed to be? She's pretty hot.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
bensaund

Why pay so much for an IP, the dragon coaster at Legoland does the job very well.

You only need to look at Toyland Tours (no IP) against Charlie and hands down Toyland Tours is much better.
If you go down to the woods today
MattsDesigns

^True - its swings and round abouts when it comes to the overall quality.

But what about slides?

Or other stuff to make the queue more interesting? These parts of the queue only open when its busy.
The disabled should have their own tiny queue.
Captain Chimp

bensaund wrote: Why pay so much for an IP, the dragon coaster at Legoland does the job very well.

You only need to look at Toyland Tours (no IP) against Charlie and hands down Toyland Tours is much better.
True enough, I just thought this particular one had great potential. I'm a big fan of the film, and there are a lot of elements that would lend themselves very nicely to this sort of thing.
MattsDesigns

MattsDesigns wrote: Image
Does no one want to take me up on this?

What about if you had obstacle course type elemants in the queue:

(What a lovely image  :D )

Can you imagine the queue stopping and starting over these stepping stones or under a scramble net? That would be pretty funny... and it lives up to the humorous image that Alton Towers loves to torment people.
danwhit709

I've always thought there should be more queue line entertainment, and obstacles would be perfect! The live actors in the Saw queue was an excellent touch which I think should be used more often and with other rides too. I believe there will be actors in the SW7 queue and HOPEFULLY a small scare maze?? [-o<  That would be amazing!
quackers

A ride like the run away mine train that goes from one end of the park to the other for getting around extra quick or just have the thrill of a long windy fast train around the park.
Sam198

Rollermad wrote: This is basically for random ideas;
Slamurai! If you tilt samurais main axel then put it on the end of slammer you would get Slamurai! (Fail Name!) What do you think!
i know it's a bit late (about a month late to be exact) but by the looks of it like the guys at zierer also had that idea some time before you,

i give you... the zierer starshape! :)

anyway, i always thought a launched flying coaster would be cool... there are only 2 problems with this:

1- it couldn't be a very powerful launch as the change in rider position means you would essentially be applying uncomfortable/dangerous positive G's on the riders. maybe something like cheetah hunt's 1st launch out of the station would work?

2- vekoma and zamperla's flying coasters are vile, and it appears that B&M are still unwilling to produce a launch coaster of any description... (besides the hulk, who's launch system had next to nothing to do with B&M ;) )
GrapeWizard

MattsDesigns wrote:
MattsDesigns wrote: Image
Does no one want to take me up on this?

What about if you had obstacle course type elemants in the queue:

(What a lovely image  :D )

Can you imagine the queue stopping and starting over these stepping stones or under a scramble net? That would be pretty funny... and it lives up to the humorous image that Alton Towers loves to torment people.
All this would require effort and creativity on Merlin's behalf.. therefore no ;). Why do something fun or imaginative when you could throw in a load of scaffolding and wooden cattlepens.
oliviamae

I imagine the main problem would be health and safety :roll:, but I would love to see it happen. I remember when I was about 10 or so and I had a strange fascination with IKEA because you could slide into the kids section!
sku11dude123

Just Seen This Ride:

I was thinking maybe Alton could pull one of these rides off at the theme park,  maybe around a Halo theme.
MattsDesigns

ohh thats the same system as The Curse Of Dark Castle. Its like roving simulator that goes between many rooms with cinema sized 3D projection.

The idea has nice advantage in that the people who make Halo are 3D modellers/sequence makers anyway.

Oliviamae & grapewizard - thanks very much! Gonna think about safer obstacles 8)
bensaund

The problem with these rides is you need either an IP or a very good idea and theme and a lot of money.

Do you think Merlin will be able to keep the special effects working all season, every season, they can't make the bell ring on the RMT for crying out loud!
If you go down to the woods today
scw55

Why aren't there Inverted Hyper-Coasters?
leeprice

This is my first post.. So Hi!

How about this... A flying dive coaster? Imagine flying into OBLIVION head first!?!
MattsDesigns

Incredible!!! :D
Why didn't I think of it!
leeprice

MattsDesigns wrote: Incredible!!! :D
Why didn't I think of it!
It would be absolutely incredible but maybe a bit too intense? Haha
MattsDesigns

Oh not at all. I actually think you may have predicted the future there lol.

I'm just looking on image search to see if theres anything like it yet but I can't see anything - Especially nothing that seems to be going through a hole underground. You'd think they would have done that, its such a good little idea.

I give it 5 years, we'll see this!
leeprice

I hope so, and if it does happen I'll be chasing them for my royalties :)