The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Adam

Another track and parts update has been added to the Towers Times SW7 Construction Blog, taken yesterday.

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/construction/

:)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
oliviamae

What does it say under Gerstlauer?
Boz

Not sure, been trying to work that out myself, anyone got any ideas what it could be?
Alex

Aufbau means build/construction, I guess thats the first part??? :?

The second part looks like heile/beile they mean heal/hatchets

On seconds thoughts looking at TS Fb page they have a closer version of it, it looks like keile which means wedges

Construction wedges sounds the most probable thing
Last edited by Alex on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aldredd

Ready_23 wrote: On seconds thoughts looking at TS Fb page they have a closer version of it, it looks like keile which means wedges

Construction wedges sounds the most probable thing
Which makes sense, as they rather look like off-cuts of wood
scw55

Oh... for the moment there I thought we'd be getting the World's First Wooden Hybrid Eurofighter.
MattsDesigns

That wood and its wrapping looks so clean and bright. Is that the magic I'm seeing?
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Please continue discussion here:

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7-91/sw7-construction-discussion/

Please be aware that our new SW7 forum is for registered members only.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Construction is moving ahead at a swift pace now the new season is fast approaching. Please continue all construction discussion within this topic.
Last edited by Adz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ItsReece

Construction is so far behind its unreal , do any of you think that it will actually open on time.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Vanessa Feltz

As far as I'm aware it will still be opening on March 16th
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
daboywunda

Get Challenge Anneka in... They can have it done in 72 hours
truckaddict

Apparently they are opening it on Good Friday (29th March) that's what I've heard so I got no source.

Bi and proud
Codmaster

truckaddict wrote: Apparently they are opening it on Good Friday (29th March) that's what I've heard so I got no source.
You mean that you want it to open on Good Friday?

You have no source.

Apart from this has been floating around the interweb lately, so I can't blame you, it just frustrates me....

Anyone can post this rubbish, like, I think it will open on the 18th of June, I have not actually heard this; but you know I just have a feeling and I really really love alton towers so they'll get it done by then....

We should instead concentrate what we have on site, how much is roughly left, and how long is approximately left.

So, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but they have accomplished the following since November, which can I remind you is only two months ago, so we should appreciate the amount of work that hey have done in such a short space of time:

1. Dug a great big hole in the ground, lined it with concrete as well as about 75% of the total landscaping and 40% of the overall concreting (ongoing)
2. Built a giant piece of track, station building and imported the secret element, which took all of one week, if that.
3. Moved tonnes of track from the car parks to the site
4. Probably a bucket load of electronic and mains infrastructure
5. Battle the weather, pumping water and clearing snow.

I feel like I'm missing something but I just can't put my finger on it...

Anyway in 74 days that's pretty impressive progress for any build, if anyone is to face any criticism it should be Altons planning department, they should have foreseen a coaster of this magnitude taking much longer to build than they scheduled for, groundwork should've stepped up before the season ended, and the area should've been ready for track on November 5th, even then, they still would have had just enough time to get scenery finished and testing fully completed.

We have 55 days until the new season starts, I can foresee most of the ground work and concreting will be finished within the next 20 - 30 days, which isn't an unrealistic time period for the work they have left. When that is finished, the track will shoot up, and will probably only take a matter of two to three weeks to completely erect, and torque. I can see the ride being fully assembled by the start of the season. However the amount if work that will be left, such as something so simple as paths and cleaning will probably take another month to complete, and then the testing has to be completed.

Good Friday isn't an unreachable target, but I would be more inclined to say towards the middle/end of April, possibly even May Day.

And then we have to ask, how finished will alton allow us to ride?

Will they do what they did with Th13teen and N:ST, and open a half finished ride with missing SFX and scenery just so it can make them some money, or will they push it back long enough to get everything completed.

I fear the former.
sw7nutter

I have a feeling all the track will be in place by the 16th of march but as its a new model of eurofighter its going to need more testing that it would usually. I don't know if the track has been pre-assembled else where and had some of the testing done but they are going to have to have it testing for a while to ensure it can do all that the manufacture said it can.
I doubt a march 16th opening, i would doubt it opening in march at all unless they do what they did with thirteen.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
PhNx Survivor

Personally, I am expecting landscape and a few bits of scenery and about 3/4 of the track up by the 30th Of February, I'd expect groundwork to be finished by the 28th Of February, just 2 days before the 30th... Since then all that's left is building work, theming, plaza, and of course... Footpaths and queuelines... Id say a team would already be starting on building work and theming, by the 30th, but a few bits and Bob's will need to be finished.

For health and safety issues -_- The footpath and queuelines and will start as soon as all the track is up, so around the 7th Of March, I'd expect things to start coming together... If making good progress, they finish on the 14th Of March and proceed with scenery and preparation... Then comes testing, I'd give a week or so for testing and final preparations to be complete... So I'd expect SW7 to be opening around the 21st of March or 1st of April :)

That's just me though xD
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
badmart76

PhNx Survivor wrote: Personally, I am expecting landscape and a few bits of scenery and about 3/4 of the track up by the 30th Of February, I'd expect groundwork to be finished by the 28th Of February, just 2 days before the 30th... Since then all that's left is building work, theming, plaza, and of course... Footpaths and queuelines... Id say a team would already be starting on building work and theming, by the 30th, but a few bits and Bob's will need to be finished.

For health and safety issues -_- The footpath and queuelines and will start as soon as all the track is up, so around the 7th Of March, I'd expect things to start coming together... If making good progress, they finish on the 14th Of March and proceed with scenery and preparation... Then comes testing, I'd give a week or so for testing and final preparations to be complete... So I'd expect SW7 to be opening around the 21st of March or 1st of April :)

That's just me though xD
There never has, nor never will be a 30th February  :oops:
Roodlesnouter

truckaddict wrote: Apparently they are opening it on Good Friday (29th March) that's what I've heard so I got no source.
This wouldn't surprise me as they will want to capitalise on the busy Easter period. I think it's behind but with all the recent marketing not as behind as I originally thought.

IMO.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom G

They may be targeting that, but it's another question if they will be able to achieve it or not.
PhNx Survivor

badmart76 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote: Personally, I am expecting landscape and a few bits of scenery and about 3/4 of the track up by the 30th Of February, I'd expect groundwork to be finished by the 28th Of February, just 2 days before the 30th... Since then all that's left is building work, theming, plaza, and of course... Footpaths and queuelines... Id say a team would already be starting on building work and theming, by the 30th, but a few bits and Bob's will need to be finished.

That's just me though xD
There never has, nor never will be a 30th February  :oops:
Good point xD
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”