The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
LPAJ13

March 20th 2013 falls on a Wednesday. It is unlikely that it will happen but you never know.
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
Chris-TT

Strong rumors suggest SW7 will be named ' THE SMILER' Merlin have recently trademarked this name. We cannot 100% confirm this will be the offical name, but it sounding very likely.

See here: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ohim?ohimnum=E10993517
Chaz

I hate to say this but, I spoke to someone who worked closely on SW7 at the weekend (someone I know). Rumours floating around with him was the Smiler... Now I know these things are kept secret and staff don't actually know any more than we do. But this rumour, now backed with this news, could be an elaborate prank by the park or someone which might be true.

I hope it's all lies...this is a stupid name!
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Mattfat1

Well I'm not worried. That's a terrible name but looking at the list of trademarks Submitted at the same time as RITA queen of speed "TWISTED PLEASURE" "SPEED FIEND" "TWISTED ANGEL" etc. "THE SMILER" must just be name that's gonna be thrown away..... Right!? 
LPAJ13

I think "The Smiler" is more to do with the face rather than the ride. The more I think about it, has "The Sanctuary" or "Sanctuary" been trademarked yet?
Chris-TT

The attractions trademarked in the last year through the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) are as follows and in the following order. It’s still no guarantee SW7 will be called Smiler, but there aren’t any others in there to throw us off. They may however put in a late application if they are trying to throw us off.

1. ZUFARI
2. ZUFARI RIDE INTO AFRICA!
3. THE SMILER
4. NEMESIS SUB-TERRA
5. Eye360
6. THE SWARM
7. MERLIN MAGIC MAKING
dementedde

It takes a minimum of 4 months according to the website that they applied for a registered Trademark. I don't think they'll have enough time if they leave it for another month or so before the ride is launched.
DONT LOOK DOWN

If you go on the sw7 minisite and wait for some time, it puts up intresting stats of the ride:
Fastest SPEED: 85 KMH
Highest drop: 30M
LENGTH of track: 1170m
ride time: 165 sec
each car holds: 16 people
Height restriction: 1.4m
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
Mattfat1

lead piping wrote: I think "The Smiler" is more to do with the face rather than the ride. The more I think about it, has "The Sanctuary" or "Sanctuary" been trademarked yet?
Yeah I just thought that about the face. Throughout the ride a voice could tell you to look at "the smiler" and the face will pop up somewhere, something like that...

It could be something to do with the shop or the photobooth also.

It's a terrible terrible terrible name for a ride thats for sure
Chris-TT

“The Smiler” Ok we don’t know this is going to be the name yet as no sources have confirmed, however let’s think outside of the box of this being a bad name for a ride by giving it a suitable scenario and theming.

To begin with the “The Sanctuary” was built as a test zone that failed to rehabilitate its patients. However after many months of painstaking study, there was a major breakthrough! The finished creation by the Doctors on the brink of insanity: ‘The Smiler: Institute of correction’.

Imagine a ride that feels like a top secret military lab. There will be videos of the Doctor encouraging you to step inside, “Here at the Smiler we guarantee to change your life for the better”.

In this scenario the ride would have a very sinister feel, something similar to how you feel when entering Oblivion’s queue line. The theme will all be all about reverse psychology, with its underline goal to control society. While you are being told everything isn’t right and you are here to be corrected for your own good, you know you are being lulled into false sense of security.
AdrenalineAlex

The Smiler?

erm..
JayJay90

meh, i dont think its all that bad, especially if it fits in with the back story and all that jazz as explained above. I dont think its as bad as th13teen was and even that ive grown to like
ImURNemesis

Anyone remember the time when everyone though Thirteen was going to be called "Surrender"?

Merlin might be doing the same with SW7 by giving it three names and the third being its official name, very much like Thirteen

SW6/Surrender/Thirteen

SW7/The Smiler/ ?
homfecep

and what about X-MILER?  X-sector - X-factor - X-files, just saying.. :roll:
George B

What If "the smiler" was the name of that logo?

And IAmUrNemesis I think thet you are onto something there.

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature
SpecyBeast

Watching the first episode of American Horror Story: The Asylum, some scenes really reminded me of Secret Weapon 7 with secret experiments happening to patient of the institution.

It shows on tuesday 10pm on FX if anyone is interested
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

dominoes

Doesn't the book "1984" have a thing called the Ministry of Joy?
Sam198

dominoes wrote: Doesn't the book "1984" have a thing called the Ministry of Joy?
no, it's the ministry of love, the ministry of truth, the ministry of peace and the ministry of plenty; they deal with compliance, propaganda, war, and rations/stocks/trade etc respectively

but i am in no doubt that SW7's theme is very strongly influenced by, if not entirely based on the book :)
Last edited by Sam198 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleOh7

Sam198 - yep been saying this for a while :) even the posters etc in The Sanctuarys waiting room were all done in a similar style. I wonder if the indoor bit will be a bit like room 101 from the book eg themed to force you to face your worst nightmare?? Certainly ties in to the towers promo video where they were showing London commuters horrible images etc.

1984 is a very good read for anyone who is interested. Who knows - maybe alongside the Ministries it may provide us with a clue or two more?
LPAJ13

I have just been reading all of these and a quick flash of the plans came back to me.

1984 - About a "Big Brother Society and people rebelling against it". In the plans, around the base of the centre of the  new theming sculpture, it says that there will be LED monitors/display under it.  I quickly looked up 1984 on Wikipedia (yes, probs unreliable) but the initial description is as follows:

"Many of its terms and concepts, such as Big Brother, doublethink, thoughtcrime, Newspeak, and memory hole, have entered everyday use since its publication in 1949. Moreover, Nineteen Eighty-Four popularised the adjective Orwellian, which describes official deception, secret surveillance, and manipulation of the past by a totalitarian or authoritarian state."

"The protagonist of the novel, Winston Smith, is a member of the Outer Party who works for the Ministry of Truth (Minitrue)"

"the Ministry of Love (Miniluv) oversees torture and brainwashing, the Ministry of Plenty oversees shortage and famine, the Ministry of Peace (Minipax) oversees war and atrocity."

Could we be really seeing X-Sector going and a theme around "Test facility" being constructed around the current rides and attractions (bear in mind IF Submission and Enterprise stay) each could take a theme;

Oblivion could take a theme of Minipax
Enterprise could take a theme of Ministry of Plenty
Submission could take a theme of Miniluv
SW7 could take a theme of Secret Surveillance.

All of this could mean we could see a better themed area but still minimal but intergrate SW7 in perfectly.