Indoor rollercoaster needed for alton towers.

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Chris-TT

In a conversation with JW over 10 years ago, it was on the drawing boards to have a product placement interactive rollercoaster in the black hole tent. It's a shame it got scrapped. I think Tussauds/Merlin may have seen the negative feedback from X:\ at Thorpe and decided against it. I would love to see and indoor coaster at Alton again one day.
bensaund

The problem is X:\ is a prime example of how to have a good coaster, but theme it so badly that nobody know what its supposed to be and the main response is it is a load of rubbish.

Give X:\ a good theme, even put a little smoke and some good lighting effects in there and it would be good.

For me you could easily have a haunted house type theme going on:

Just imagine as your going up the lift hill backwards, suddenly a large spider lights up and the fangs head straight in from of you.
----------------------------
If an indoor coaster has a good theme, it is well done, then there is no reason why it can't work. As JW said about the wild mouse in the dark, check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLtwrUL7PI

One area I thought this could work is at Katanga Canyon. Call it something like "The gold mine" enclose this ride it a pretend rock face (simular design to the RMT at Chessington but bigger) with the existing RMT.

The existing RMT could be under ground on the large turn before it goes into the rapids tunnel, add some good mine theming like you see in Indiana Jones or James bond, some mine sounds and maybe some lighting with flickers. by enclosing it in a tunnel, it will make the ride seem a lot faster and it would be a mine train, rather than a mine themed train.

Then the wild mouse, if the same model as the Rattlesnake at Chessington could have the cart go up the lift hill and the first two turns of the mouse can be in the open air with the quests in the queue line seeing the cars moving on top of the mine, then the remaining turns go into a tunnel, where it is dark and the rest of the ride is completely dark.

Just an idea I came up with, I'm sure Alton can get a cheap second hand Wild Mouse from somewhere and add some fake rocks around the outside.

I know its not indoor, but most of it can be indoors and the queueline can be set up where you go down the mine tunnels to get to the main station.
If you go down to the woods today
scw55

^ It would be intimidating if from the queue you saw a car rise on the lifthill, goes on a corner and then enters inside away and then probably drops sharply making people scream. Making sure the screams can be heard by the people in the queue.
Giving nothing away but playing on the fear of the unknown. Why are the riders screaming?
Thriller

Sonic Spinball undercover with a few flashing lights would reinvent the ride and be perfect for this project!!
AdrenalineAlex

bensaund wrote: The problem is X:\ is a prime example of how to have a good coaster, but theme it so badly that nobody know what its supposed to be and the main response is it is a load of rubbish.

Give X:\ a good theme, even put a little smoke and some good lighting effects in there and it would be good.

For me you could easily have a haunted house type theme going on:

Just imagine as your going up the lift hill backwards, suddenly a large spider lights up and the fangs head straight in from of you.
----------------------------
If an indoor coaster has a good theme, it is well done, then there is no reason why it can't work. As JW said about the wild mouse in the dark, check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLtwrUL7PI

One area I thought this could work is at Katanga Canyon. Call it something like "The gold mine" enclose this ride it a pretend rock face (simular design to the RMT at Chessington but bigger) with the existing RMT.

The existing RMT could be under ground on the large turn before it goes into the rapids tunnel, add some good mine theming like you see in Indiana Jones or James bond, some mine sounds and maybe some lighting with flickers. by enclosing it in a tunnel, it will make the ride seem a lot faster and it would be a mine train, rather than a mine themed train.

Then the wild mouse, if the same model as the Rattlesnake at Chessington could have the cart go up the lift hill and the first two turns of the mouse can be in the open air with the quests in the queue line seeing the cars moving on top of the mine, then the remaining turns go into a tunnel, where it is dark and the rest of the ride is completely dark.

Just an idea I came up with, I'm sure Alton can get a cheap second hand Wild Mouse from somewhere and add some fake rocks around the outside.

I know its not indoor, but most of it can be indoors and the queueline can be set up where you go down the mine tunnels to get to the main station.
To theme it like that would be a missed opportunity. I say it a lot but I love X, I'd love to see it turned into an Egyptian pyramid theme, they already have the right structure for one, they can remove the brakes (or keep them if you were to have interaction with a mummy), turn the cars round, and have the main ride area still pitch black but with boards with UV paint on like Revenge of the Mummy at Universal. It might not have a backstory but it would make a lot more sense then it does now PLUS it would fit in with Lost City.
sweedish2009

To be honest when you think about it, it's very difficult to work out what AT will do next when SW8 comes around.

They outdo themselves every time with new ride concepts, world first etc. I fully expect SW7 to be a massive success and this can only help with future projects.

Indoor roller coaster would be a great concept, but to avoid any previous mistakes (cough, x no way out, cough) it would need to be massively themed, and for the love of god do not theme it to a derelict warehouse, government facility or shipping container!

With the black hole area now taken its difficult to pinpoint where they'd add such a big ride. Indoor/outdoor water coaster where The Flume currently stands would be an idea, also if the new park entrance is built over by Forbidden Valley you'd have the Towers Street area available, which is a massive area to redevelop.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Jammydodger

I can't see them building another dark ride. 4 Dark rides is a fair old amount for a park like AT, considering the restrictions they have.

Hex is obviously locked by its layout, and Sub-terra is way too small for anything substantial.
But Charlie and Duel both sit in massive warehouses equipped with all the utilities, height and space needed to run a coaster.

It would be nice to see the CaTCF ripped out and a coaster put in its place. The boat transit system must be knocking on a bit now, and the things they could do with the potential space created could be fantastic.

The problem is, I don't think we'll ever see a dark coaster with the budget of a SW. For it to be truly world class it needs to compete with coasters that have had tens of millions chucked at it, otherwise, I can already see Merlin thinking "whats the point, if we're not going to be the best/one of a kind" which I suppose isn't exactly a bad attitude to have...
MattsDesigns

Normal coasters without any inventive steps are almost boring. I think you have to do SOMETHING different, like Nemesis - in a way its very heavily themed (considering the landscape), or Oblivion is vertical and goes down a pipe. I much prefer the rides where Merlin have intervened over the of the shelf stuff like Spin Ball and Rita.

And on X no way out:
I think this ride does have some cool elements but I always hear people ditching it completely for some weird reason. I don't know if people are comparing it to something in America/Germany because I've never been but there are definitely a few cool things about this ride.
- Just the queue is cool, its dark with all those different colored lights, its a bit arty and atmospheric.
-the ride system is robust and powerful and cars are pretty cool looking
-you go backwards through a curtain - doesn't happen anywhere else in the world so I like it.
-Its got that whole robotic feel to it. A theme of robust mechanical power - there's even a battery within hazard lines as part of the themeing on your way out.
-the ride is pleasant, fun and doesn't hurt. I honestly don't care that I'm not being forced through a loop at the limits of my body's tolerance.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
bensaund

The one thing with X is every time you go on it, there is something different, some lights working or not working, music or no music, dummys at the stop points or no dummys.

The fake lift which doesn't work, the TVs which don't work

It needs a theme, it needs to also give the guests a consistent ride, I have had good rides and poor rides, the track and cars don't change, its everything else which seems to change and I'm not sure if this is just down to things breaking down or not.
If you go down to the woods today
abigsmurf

Something like the Scooby Doo coaster would be a great match for Alton Towers, especially as it doesn't have a wild mouse style.

(spoilers)

I'd imagine it would fit well in the Charlie and the Chocolate factory building (possibly would need to dig out small parts of it but it's be pretty minor).
MattsDesigns

I would love scooby do, it looks excellent by UK standards.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
samham

abigsmurf wrote: Something like the Scooby Doo coaster would be a great match for Alton Towers, especially as it doesn't have a wild mouse style.

(spoilers)

I'd imagine it would fit well in the Charlie and the Chocolate factory building (possibly would need to dig out small parts of it but it's be pretty minor).
This would be amazing for AT! All ages have a soft spot for Scooby Doo
DrReeve

Alton Do Require a indoor coaster now black hole is gone. A wild mouse would work good with towers as it has a small foot print due to its sharp corners.

Dark Ride FTW
Image credit to Lewis97