The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Ripsaw Raver

is it me or does the track look a fair bit wider than the saw track?-if so could this be to accommodate the new train design.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Delta79

I am confused with the photo of the air ambulance landing at the towers?
LPAJ13

Delta79 wrote: I am confused with the photo of the air ambulance landing at the towers?
I think the hint was at using a helicopter to take images of the construction from above
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
Don't_Look_Down

^ I think Chris is implying that TTF will be taking aerial shots of the SW7 site from a helicopter ;)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Chris-TT

Delta79 wrote: I am confused with the photo of the air ambulance landing at the towers?
Do I really need to spell out how we will be  giving you detailed photos of SW7?
Adz
Admin
Admin

We are of course taking a few helicopter flights over the resort. We invite you to join us as we most certainly 'Do Look Down' over the coming winter. Photo updates will commence shortly after the park closes.
jb19852

not being funny but:-
1) are AT happy with this happening?
2) does this not ruin the potential excitement?
3) is the cost really worth it?

Each to their own but in my view this is the most exciting and secretive project AT have done in a long long time, something we have all been crying out for, why try and ruin it?
Adz
Admin
Admin

The option not to view our updates will of course be available. This is partly why we have kept SW7 updates off our main site and confined to the SW7 Minisite.

As for cost, We are blessed with team members who are undertaking helicopter flying lessons. It's a win win.
LPAJ13

Personally, i think (the team can tell me if this is correct or not) but it could be a joint project between TT and AT. TT to inform the coaster community and AT for their construction records.
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
Ripsaw Raver

i personally cant wait for the updates, seeing the track come together from up above will be awesome.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Adz
Admin
Admin

For the record. Alton Towers have not (and indeed do not need to) give any form of consent for this. This is solely a TowersTimes project.

Of course if they wanted to be involved they are more than welcome to contact us. We at TowersTimes always welcome any opportunity to work with the resort.
Last edited by Adz on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris-TT

We will be able to get pretty close, and from angles never seen during a coaster construction before. Its your choice if you wish to view the images or not. However, we are a fan site not affiliated with Alton Towers and will always refuse to be the official fan site due to restrictions that could be imposed on us, we will do whatever is within the law to bring you the latest updates.
Luce

I for one think it's a great idea and will certainly provide us with some unique and fab photos of the construction :)
Chris-TT

We will closer to the construction site when we bring you updates, but here is one from the summer. Just to give you a taster from one of the companies we will be using: Image

detailed image here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/723647/photo%20%286%29.JPG
Last edited by Chris-TT on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta79

Chris-TT wrote:
Do I really need to spell out how we will be  giving you detailed photos of SW7?
Nope, i was getting confused over the Ambulance part of the helicopter.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Delta79 wrote:
Chris-TT wrote:
Nope, i was getting confused over the Ambulance part of the helicopter.
It just happened to be the only image of a Helicopter above Alton Towers we could find! :)
Chris-TT

Black and White, wrong or right we will be delivering full coverage of SW7. If you don't wan't to see, don't read the spoilers. But we are all about bringing you upto date info on Alton Towers construction. We are now in a position to take it to the next level. [=
Nightfall

I think you lot are mental!

That's not to say I don't look forward to seeing these pictures and wouldn't dream of stopping you. But I can't imagine Alton/Merlin being too happy with you flying over their land with deliberate intent to reveal their top secret project without their say so. They might even ask you to take the photos down rendering them un-viewable until after the rides opened.

And that's not even considering the personal cost. I noticed you were advertising for a pilot the other day which can't be cheap even if they have their own Helicopter and are willing to take you for no extra cost. If they're not... well, based on my Army mate additional passenger fee I wouldn't like to be the one paying the bills!

So yeah I think you are mad, but good luck.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Morgano

As for cost, We are blessed with team members who are undertaking helicopter flying lessons. It's a win win.
Win Win and blessed? Inexperienced pilot flying hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment over millions of pounds worth of equipment, trucks, construction workers and a heritage site with a priceless ruin... what could go wrong...
simononestop

Morgano wrote:
Win Win and blessed? Inexperienced pilot flying hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment over millions of pounds worth of equipment, trucks, construction workers and a heritage site with a priceless ruin... what could go wrong...
whats the risk assessment on that lol  :shock:
Last edited by simononestop on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.