Burger King set to leave. Original Burger Co as replacement?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jammydodger

Kind of ironic that the park that pioneered branded outlets in theme parks is now quick to remove all traces of it hmmm?
Dogbert

This news has me in two minds.

One, it is good, Merlin I feel have done a reasonable job of running their own food outlets.
Two, it is bad, as Merlin prices (and quality sometimes) are not brilliant.

I'll be blunt. I've travelled around some European parks recently, and in four out of the five parks we visited I was bowled over by the food quality. The food in the parks was just so much nicer than we get over here, and cheaper at the same time. For the record, the odd park out was Heide Park. Felt like being at home (right down to their Pizza/Pasta place having the same branding), but it just wasn't up to par with the other parks. The variety of eating options also seemed much wider, but that may have been my overlooking things at home.

In regards to Themeparksandy's statement; Parc Asterix did something akin to that. Had a nice baguettesandwichthingy, crisps and a drink for, if my memory serves, just under 9 euros, so falling around £6-7 (though, that drink option was anything from fruit juice to beer!)
What, you were expecting something witty?
Kenzie2012

I loath BK.... I've never ever liked their food.

Mcdonalds all the way - The Original theming in the McDonalds @ CCL was amazing!!!

I agree with the argument that big brands at a themepark doesnt help the "Escapism" idea.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
MattsDesigns

From the point of few of making peoples day, I think its a loss. I’m not throwing stones at Merlin, just speaking my mind.

The more understood reason for having brands is “you know what you are getting” and that it will be at a certain level of quality...But there are some things that are a bit more archaic:
-Familiarity of the Logo and other brand-art & design, like restaurant colours and style. This is an issue that’s more in people’s heads, moreover in the back of people’s minds (where most don’t think about it), but I think it matters because it just feels nice.
It’s nice to see what’s familiar. We like to see people we are familiar with, people like to watch a soap opera they are familiar with, and people like to have a cup of tea wherever they go. If you are in hospital you want a magazine you know and you want someone you know to come and visit you.
NOW
some people are saying its counter-escapism to have brands, but I disagree – Why?- because you are in this crazy environment, away from home, you’ve been almost literally flying, you’ve been to space and you’ve been scared to half to death but when you then go to McDonalds you are suddenly *coming home* to a McDonalds that is just like one in your home town. And that is surreal. It’s a surreal juxtaposition of environments and that is great for some reason - I’m not even sure why but its *surreal* because that is just like a dream; Because in a dream you might, say, be in this crazy weird cave in your dream and then, still in your dream, you walk through a hole in the caverns and that leads to your garage where you can walk into your house and have a cup of tea. And that is an awesome feeling. And that is why people think it’s cool if you’ve got a fire place, sofa and A CAT at a pub and that’s why I think its cool to have a brand restaurant in a theme park. In that sense it adds to escapism.

Practically speaking I think it’s just important to have nice affordable food and that the restaurant looks half decent – but these things I’m talking about is like the art&design of a cereal box – no one ever thinks about it but if the box was plain grey cardboard, you would tell a few less jokes in the day.

A side note:  I don’t know if you have noticed I keep mentioning surrealism. I really feel that a lot of stuff in a themepark is surreal in a deep way, sometimes relating to dreams like the above. Like I’ve said before themeing a clock or a bin to wild west or something is surreal; It doesn’t help the bin or clock to do it’s job, you are simply taking the atmosphere or environment and infusing it into those articles. There is a duality or shift of context where the strictly practical is suddenly... Stranglely, and uncessarily ornamented (or themed) to a different world that is a million miles away.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
oliviamae

If they really want to make money, charge for extra bacon. I would do almost anything for bacon.
Tom.B

I didn't like it when McDonalds left, and was replaced with burger king. It got replaced when I was about 7 or 8, and ruined what we liked to do. Because I was small and not into big rides (or not tall enough) we used to have a Macaddies and then head to either Charlie, Toyland, or the show (depending on what it was). We enjoyed sitting in those tables that were shaped like cars.
Last time I went (2011), we just grabbed a small Hot Dog from the Dark Forest, and then had a pizza/pasta buffet about 4:30
EDIT
I don't think BK should be replaced by another burger company, it should be a completely different FFC.
Pizza Hut or McDonalds really
Last edited by Tom.B on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnbroom

when the the talbot restaurant was built in the 80s it was the biggest fast food restaurant in europe maybe as they only use half of the building now they could turn it into a food court with a variety of different food like the one in derby wesfileds. 
Balb0wa

Id like Mcdonalds do come back, was gutting they left.  i dont tend to eat a great deal on the park these days, just grab a cheese burger in forbidden valley , and call in a wetherspoons on the way back.

Had a few nice chesseburgers from burger king this year , if Alton are doing burgers, i hope some cheap options will be available, not just meal deals.
quackers

I hope what ever they get changed with they will do the 20% off for MAP holders, as Burger King do not do this and they are very expensive, so i am glad to see them go.
GrapeWizard

It is being replaced with another Burger outlet, like KFC was with chicken and Piza hut with the pizza/pasta buffet. It's being called something like The Burger Kitchen or something can't remember correctly but I'm pretty sure it's that.... but yeah, new burger outlet.

And respect to the guy a few posts above, no more XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger meals with super fries and a vanilla milkshake. mmm.
----reece----

Just hope the burger company is not as disgusting as the chicken one.. We've just ate there and didnt enjoy it at all !
stu1980

I was thinking about this sunday when i was at the park. So if anyone from the Towers is here look at this post.

i use the Buffet by RMT when i go sometimes would it not make good for the park to move the buffet to the massive BK outlet in CCL and then make the old PPB the new burger place.

just a thought
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
venny911

If it wasn't already, this would seem to confirm it https://merlin.taleo.net/careersection/4/joblist.ftl

Adverts for employees for the 'NEW FOR 2013 Burger Kitchen'.
Thom

From TowersTimes News:
TowersTimes News wrote:As with many of the franchises on resort, Burger King are set to follow suit and pack up their things, We've had confirmation that Burger King will be leaving the park in all 3 of their current locations, this includes Mutiny Bay, Cloud Cuckoo Land and Forbidden Valley, but what next for the resort in Food?

Well from what we now know, Merlin's own chain of Burger Outlets, named The Burger Kitchen. Will be joining the resort line up for next year and will be moving into all 3 of Burger Kings old locations.

This will by far be the Resorts biggest Food and Beverage undertaking yet, and continues the companies ideals on being less reliant on high street branding.

Burger Kitchen which has been seen in The Blackpool Tower offers quality, ethically sourced produce, and will likely be a huge asset to the park in terms of healthy eating. With this news Alton Towers will no longer have any High Street chains within the park.

Other information states that it will have a contempory setting within the restaurants.

It has a thumbs up from us here at TowersTimes and we're sure all of you will enjoy it too!
GrapeWizard

GrapeWizard wrote: It is being replaced with another Burger outlet, like KFC was with chicken and Piza hut with the pizza/pasta buffet. It's being called something like The Burger Kitchen or something can't remember correctly but I'm pretty sure it's that.... but yeah, new burger outlet.

And respect to the guy a few posts above, no more XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger meals with super fries and a vanilla milkshake. mmm.
I said the Burger Kitchen last week  ;)
Themeparksandy1981

NEW FOR 2013 The Burger Kitchen (£6.19/hr)
Job Posting:06-Nov-12-Requisition ID ALT00002L
Type of Contract : Seasonal
Alton Towers Resort

A bit of topic but looking at them job offers how can a toilet cleaner get more than retail and ride ops?

Toilet Cleaner (£6.89/hr)
Job Posting:06-Nov-12-Requisition ID ALT000043
Alton Towers Resort

Even team leaders only get 30p more a hour than cleaners.

Retail Team Leader (£7.19/hr)
Job Posting:06-Nov-12-Requisition ID ALT000040
Alton Towers Resort

Anyway back on to topic I will only use this if the meal deals ie burger,fries&a drink cost no more than £5 as mcdonalds are £4.
Luce

I quite like this idea as even though I've enjoyed Burger King, they are pretty expensive and perhaps with this new group of outlets, we might get an annual pass discount which would be great.
Kenzie2012

Luce wrote: I quite like this idea as even though I've enjoyed Burger King, they are pretty expensive and perhaps with this new group of outlets, we might get an annual pass discount which would be great.
Thats pretty much guaranteed though don't you think?!?!?!

Doesn't Every other in house unit offer the discount?
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Luce

Well, that's true but I was thinking just in case Merlin had other ideas :D

It will certainly make a difference to have all in house eateries and I look forward to trying them next season :)
Vanessa Feltz

I've tried the burgers at Burger Kitchen in Blackpool and they're very tasty, and they offer healthy eating options as well as a veggy burger.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"