Fun City Brean

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
maguire245

[quote=""kryn""]I have emailed KMG regarding this and await a reply.[/quote]

Where is kryns avitar? :shock: :shock: :shock:

On a more serious note, I agree with you and think silly mindless comments on newspaper websites can destroy something, but generally speaking isn't that the media all over?

Yes, it is certainly not nice to falsely state something like that, before investigating it properly. [-X

I have no concerns as reguards to where the ride stopped in it's position. When you press the emergancy stop, that is what you want it to do, stop as quickly as possible. If there's any delay on getting the ride to a safer position, then it's not doing it's job properly is it.

Silly people interfering and those kids deserve a good ear bashing for laughing at something like that, not good at all. Perhaps leaving the safety bars in the hands of the people who know how they work is best for everyone.

Cheers.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
Mankey

This reminds me of the other weekend at Chessington! :lol:

Mum: "IZ TEH RYD SAEF!!?!?!"

*argument with ride ops for 5 mins*

*woman is taken to guest services*

It baffles me why these people even go to fairs/theme parks in the first place! :?
Back from hibernation!
Anonymous

There is a emergency stop on the ride to stop it quickly. After the emergency stop the drive system gets 20-30 seconds before the ride comes to a standstill.

This can be anywhere on the ride postion, then the ride can be brought down manually by releasing the brakes. As the ride is heavy it will normally come into the station on its own, if not there is a fixed evacuation rope to pull it down manually.

In the case described above the, the operators did want to use these methods but didnt as the people involved wanted the emergency services to take control. Which took 40 mins for them to arrive

All measures to evacuate the ride was deemed satisfactory by the health and saftey executive and the ride reopened.
Anonymous

[quote=""kryn""]What a load of Twoddle! I despise things like this. More negative press which is unfound towards the amusment industry.

Just look at some of these laughable comments posted on the Daily Mail site:-
Young lady on right does not seem secured to me! The harness is not positioned at same level as girl next to her
Good job there wasn't actually a problem with the harness! Did the operator not think to stop the ride at a point where their entire bodyweight WASN'T rested on the supposedly faulty harness?
Obviously these people have never heard of hydraluics and/or understand how they work.

What a complete waste of Firefighters time/tax payers money and my time for having to comment on yet another farce reagarding fairs.[/quote]
Hydraulics can fail at any time.
Hark

[quote=""Mankey""]This reminds me of the other weekend at Chessington! :lol:

Mum: "IZ TEH RYD SAEF!?!?!"

*argument with ride ops for 5 mins*

*woman is taken to guest services*

It baffles me why these people even go to fairs/theme parks in the first place! :?[/quote]

I thought it was more...

"IS DIS RIDE SAYYFEE..."
"CAN U PUT IT ON A LOWER SETTING I DNT WANT DEM GETTING HURT"
"IM REALLY WORRIED"

<queue gets píssed off.>

Back on topic however, the ride op reacted well, hitting the e-stop, if there's any sense of danger it's the safest option - Although i'm not sure on fairground rides, but can you activate the gondola if the restraints are open? It's good that everyone is okay, but I wish people wouldn't interfere.

I'm guessing in this instance restarting the ride with people on it might not have been a good idea, as usually an e-stop cuts all power to the ride completely, so restarting it may have caused more problems than it's worth with people on?

However i'm no expert x] Just a gues...
Craig

Guys the last post in this topic was August 2009. Can we just double check the last post date before replying, especially when there's nothing major being added by the initial reply early this morning - thanks.
ThrillJunkie

I can 100% confirm that Space Invader 2 which is currently/mostly being stored at Blackpool Pleasure beach has been sold to Richard Cadell the owner of Fun City at Brean Leisure Park in Somerset.

The ride has already been dismantled at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and is making its way down to Brean as we speak. A new concrete base has just been laid ready for the new attraction on the side of the existing "Shockwave" roller coaster on the former Market field. The ride is to have allot of work done to it before being installed and will be the parks first indoor roller coaster and only the parks second indoor ride (after Terror Castle).

Currently we do not know how much the park has paid for the attraction or what name/theme the new attraction will hold. This new coaster will be open for 2011!

Exciting news for us Somerset folks!

Sorry if this has already been posted :oops:
ThrillJunkieUK
DiogoJ42

Cheers for the info. :D It's good to know that this lovely little ride will be staying in the UK. I wonder if They will keep the theming, or add their own? :?
ThrillJunkie

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Cheers for the info. :D It's good to know that this lovely little ride will be staying in the UK. I wonder if They will keep the theming, or add their own? :?[/quote]

I was told today they didn't know if they would keep the name or the themeing for SI2 but I've got a feeling this means they didn't want to tell me or this particular member of staff didn't know.

It's very exciting for Brean!

Does anyone have any photo's of SI2 when it was open at Blackpool? I've only ridden it once and can't remember much about it.

---- Post Info Added ----

Ok so I don't expect everyone to believe me so I thought I would share these. The first photo's taken of Space Invader 2 arriving at its new home.

The First Sections Of Track To Arrive

Track

I'm guessing these are some of the supports

SP2 New Home

Freshly laid floor awaiting SI2 construction
ThrillJunkieUK
Deleted

At last! - A Ghost Train which actually looks good on the inside!

ThrillJunkie

Yay a topic about my local park  :lol:

Terror Castle is defiantly one of the best genericly themed haunted house that I have been on and by far the best dark attraction for a small park. I think the reason this ride is so good because it was designed, built and managed by Richard Cadell (the new owner and host of "The Sooty Show") as he used to be a magician/illusionist and knows all there is about using special effects to there full potential (Just a shame he didn't take longer to sit down and design the effects on the new "Astro Storm" indoor coaster :(
ThrillJunkieUK
jackgcse

That is awsome in all senses! There are horror mazes that cannot match that! LOL
Deleted

Richard Cadell is also a member of the Showmans Guild - and used to travel a Freakshow a few years back
Eirdy

I was at BLP and brought an unlimited  wrist band for £19.99. I stayed from 5pm till close at 9.30pm and I was thinking what a great job Richard Cadell had done on this place, I wanted to know what you think?
Thanks, smilealways
Last edited by Eirdy on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
http://fairfans.freeforums.org/index.php
Sam198

It all depends on how you choose define it, but Fun City is technically my home park (just a 15 minute hop down the M5 away). I do respect the place, largely for the way they operate and maintain their machines; particularly the afterburner - it looks and rides great! Probably second only to Manning's Show Time... (I haven't had a chance to ride the topscan yet due to being out of the country, but I imagine it's similar)

That said, the TL59 is simply disgusting.
Last edited by Sam198 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

I really like Fun City Brean as well!
For a small park the quality of the dark rides (Astro Storm and Terror Castle) is amazing, and a lot of the other rides are very enjoyable and some reridable.
(Shockwave is an acceptable coaster in my opinion, as long as you only ride it once or twice).
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
ThrillJunkie

Brean is also my local park and since Richard took over the park it has improved so much. He has completely re branded the park (Fun City), brought in new attractions every year and has spent allot of time and money improving the park as a whole and all the existing rides.

You might not think Shock Wave is great now but when it first arrived at Brean it looked like a pile of scrap metal (Astro Storm looked the same when it arrived on park too). Shock Wave (Or Crazy Loop as it was called back then) was peeling white paint, Rusted right through and the trains looked dangerous. Now it's actually a pretty decent coaster (bearing in mind it's now 27 years old!).

Wipe Out is one of my favorite rides on park too although the paint work is starting to fade slightly now.

On the weekend I got the chance of testing out the "new" Speed Wave. Although a good ride it it's age does concern me. I'm hoping Richard and his team will completely strip the ride over the winter period and rebuild, Rename and retheme it like he has done in the past (Just look what he's done to his old Waltzer).

Plus I love the Sooty museum thing next to the Magic Mouse.
ThrillJunkieUK
Themeparksandy1981

I only been to Brean once and that was last year. The theme park was the only good thing in the area. pontins next door where we were staying was a dump and looked run down.
ThrillJunkie

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I only been to Brean once and that was last year. The theme park was the only good thing in the area. pontins next door where we were staying was a dump and looked run down.
Sorry Themeparksandy1981 I do not agree with this. There are lots of great places around this area (although a lack of Theme Parks). What about Weston-s-Mare that's just down the road with The Grand Pier and Seaqurium or what about Cheedar Gorge or Clarks Village or Wookey Hole. Even Brean isn't that bad these days with Fun City, a number of arcades, Long beach, Da good adventure golf, Great evening entertainment (Check out the Seagull Inn).

If I wasn't a local I'd visit the area :-)
ThrillJunkieUK
Themeparksandy1981

ThrillJunkie wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I only been to Brean once and that was last year. The theme park was the only good thing in the area. pontins next door where we were staying was a dump and looked run down.
Sorry Themeparksandy1981 I do not agree with this. There are lots of great places around this area (although a lack of Theme Parks). What about Weston-s-Mare that's just down the road with The Grand Pier and Seaqurium or what about Cheedar Gorge or Clarks Village or Wookey Hole. Even Brean isn't that bad these days with Fun City, a number of arcades, Long beach, Da good adventure golf, Great evening entertainment (Check out the Seagull Inn).

If I wasn't a local I'd visit the area :-)
Sorry I was just basing it on Brean only. We went for 4 nights and we went to Western for 3 hours and to a cider farm on the way back. We spent a day in Brean where most of it was spent in the queen vic pub on site as weather was bad. The other day we went to burham on sea and fun city in the afternoon. I been Clarks Village before and thought it was over rated and was bad to be forced to pay to park in a retail park. I do like Devon and Somerset area. I always had a soft spot for watermouth castle
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.